Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 GUI Cups & Shields

• 13-05-2020 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

PLAN FOR ALL-IRELAND INTER-CLUB COMPETITTIONS

The Golfing Union of Ireland is asking clubs to consider a plan to complete four All-Ireland Inter-Club competitions, the All-Ireland Medal and one All-Ireland Under-18 Inter-Club event later this year.

The Union has been considering options for inter-club golf in 2020 over the past month, through consultation in its internal Committee structure, and externally with host clubs and sponsors. The plan’s circulation today also comes after further consideration of the Republic of Ireland’s Roadmap for Reopening Society and Business and Northern Ireland’s Plan for a Phased, Strategic Approach to Recovery.

However, the Union is clear that these competitions will only go ahead following consideration of feedback from the clubs themselves, and subject to public health advice.

Following circulation of the Plan today, an entry questionnaire will be issued to all golf clubs early next week inviting feedback on participation. It will be requested that this is completed by Sunday 7th June, after which the Union will finalise its plans regarding Inter-Club golf for 2020.

The plan focuses on playing the AIG Senior Cup, AIG Junior Cup, AIG Jimmy Bruen Shield and AIG Pierce Purcell Shield, in addition to the Irish Under-18 Boys Inter-Club and All-Ireland Gold Medals, mainly through August, September and October.

It proposes the use of adjusted rules, formats, schedules and protocols to prioritise the safety of all involved and make participation easier from logistical and cost perspectives for clubs.

In order to mitigate against sharing of equipment (including golf balls), the plan envisages the Jimmy Bruen and Pierce Purcell competitions being conducted as four-balls for 2020.

The format would be match play with early rounds (ie, prior to the provincial quarter-finals at least) played on a localised basis where practicable with three matches in the club drawn at home and two matches at the club drawn away.

Normal conventions around practicing, team dining and other issues surrounding the playing of matches would be dispensed with or modified as necessary to incorporate social distancing guidelines and make clubs’ participation more affordable and logistically less onerous.

The remaining All-Ireland inter-club competitions (the AIG Barton Shield, Irish Mixed Foursomes, All-Ireland Four-Ball and Fred Perry Trophy) will not proceed in any event, and all entered clubs will have their entry fees refunded following the period for feedback from the questionnaire period.

To facilitate this plan, the All-Ireland Finals have been provisionally rescheduled for 15-18 October in Donegal Golf Club. We are extremely grateful to Donegal for their continued support as the host venue for the 2020 finals. The plan also outlines the broad timeline that would need to be met in order to make it possible to stage the All-Ireland Finals, and the contingencies available should it not be possible to meet these. For the benefit of clubs wishing to participate, the Union will strive to make decisions at the earliest possible moment on these matters and as such is continually monitoring and consulting public health advice.

The ILGU has produced a similar plan and is separately communicating with clubs seeking feedback on Women’s Inter-Club competitions. Further details of this are available on www.golfnet.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

SEORG wrote: »
    PLAN FOR ALL-IRELAND INTER-CLUB COMPETITTIONS

The Golfing Union of Ireland is asking clubs to consider a plan to complete four All-Ireland Inter-Club competitions, the All-Ireland Medal and one All-Ireland Under-18 Inter-Club event later this year.

The Union has been considering options for inter-club golf in 2020 over the past month, through consultation in its internal Committee structure, and externally with host clubs and sponsors. The plan’s circulation today also comes after further consideration of the Republic of Ireland’s Roadmap for Reopening Society and Business and Northern Ireland’s Plan for a Phased, Strategic Approach to Recovery.

However, the Union is clear that these competitions will only go ahead following consideration of feedback from the clubs themselves, and subject to public health advice.

Following circulation of the Plan today, an entry questionnaire will be issued to all golf clubs early next week inviting feedback on participation. It will be requested that this is completed by Sunday 7th June, after which the Union will finalise its plans regarding Inter-Club golf for 2020.

The plan focuses on playing the AIG Senior Cup, AIG Junior Cup, AIG Jimmy Bruen Shield and AIG Pierce Purcell Shield, in addition to the Irish Under-18 Boys Inter-Club and All-Ireland Gold Medals, mainly through August, September and October.

It proposes the use of adjusted rules, formats, schedules and protocols to prioritise the safety of all involved and make participation easier from logistical and cost perspectives for clubs.

In order to mitigate against sharing of equipment (including golf balls), the plan envisages the Jimmy Bruen and Pierce Purcell competitions being conducted as four-balls for 2020.

The format would be match play with early rounds (ie, prior to the provincial quarter-finals at least) played on a localised basis where practicable with three matches in the club drawn at home and two matches at the club drawn away.

Normal conventions around practicing, team dining and other issues surrounding the playing of matches would be dispensed with or modified as necessary to incorporate social distancing guidelines and make clubs’ participation more affordable and logistically less onerous.

The remaining All-Ireland inter-club competitions (the AIG Barton Shield, Irish Mixed Foursomes, All-Ireland Four-Ball and Fred Perry Trophy) will not proceed in any event, and all entered clubs will have their entry fees refunded following the period for feedback from the questionnaire period.

To facilitate this plan, the All-Ireland Finals have been provisionally rescheduled for 15-18 October in Donegal Golf Club. We are extremely grateful to Donegal for their continued support as the host venue for the 2020 finals. The plan also outlines the broad timeline that would need to be met in order to make it possible to stage the All-Ireland Finals, and the contingencies available should it not be possible to meet these. For the benefit of clubs wishing to participate, the Union will strive to make decisions at the earliest possible moment on these matters and as such is continually monitoring and consulting public health advice.

The ILGU has produced a similar plan and is separately communicating with clubs seeking feedback on Women’s Inter-Club competitions. Further details of this are available on www.golfnet.ie.

Ah yes, hopefully something to really look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Pierce Purcell is going to Fourball...... Yeehaww mount up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Some interclub would be really something nice to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

I'm not sure it's a good idea to go ahead with these this year... but if it does go ahead I'll try make the team :)

Just thinking on the Bruen & Purcell maybe going fourball rather than scotch, an idea to keep it scotch; use alternate balls on each hole with the person teeing off being the one to place the ball on the tee & retrieve the ball once the hole is complete. Then the otherplayer tee's up a ball from his bag on the next hole & so on... only ever touching your own equipment/ball. I love the scotch format

I'm not sure it's a good idea to go ahead with these this year... but if it does go ahead I'll try make the team :)

Just thinking on the Bruen & Purcell maybe going fourball rather than scotch, an idea to keep it scotch; use alternate balls on each hole with the person teeing off being the one to place the ball on the tee & retrieve the ball once the hole is complete. Then the otherplayer tee's up a ball from his bag on the next hole & so on... only ever touching your own equipment/ball. I love the scotch format

But they've all but decided it's going to be Four-ball if it goes ahead which is a good move if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    But they've all but decided it's going to be Four-ball if it goes ahead which is a good move if you ask me

damn have they... I was really hoping they'd read my comment on boards & take it on board ;)

I was just thinking out load & like the scotch format as it's more testing of a pair (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Managing the ball on the green, marking etc would be problematic

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Strange that they have scrapped the Barton Shield which was 4somes with 4 player teams. This would have been ideal as a 4ball competition for the very low players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Going to hard for a lot of players who live outside the 5km radius to get their game back up to scratch in time for the inter club.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Would be surprised if these started before july. Lots to be finalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Would be surprised if these started before july. Lots to be finalised.

I think they're aiming for last weekend in July but I'm open to correction on that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Strange that they have scrapped the Barton Shield which was 4somes with 4 player teams. This would have been ideal as a 4ball competition for the very low players.

A lot of clubs would have the same panel for Barton and senior cup and given they want to do matchplay from the start, it would be a lot of matches to play for players.

Is what I'm thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

Going to hard for a lot of players who live outside the 5km radius to get their game back up to scratch in time for the inter club.

It will be a lot easier than those that live outside the 20km radius

paulos53 wrote: »
    It will be a lot easier than those that live outside the 20km radius

I'd say that scuppers the chances of the primarily distance membership clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

New captain for our Jimmy bruen this year. Me and my partner dropped even though we had the best score last year at qualifying which we didnt get through. No sign up sheet, no trials.

Had a look at the 10 handicaps and there's no way he can make have 5 pairs with minimum 15 so be interesting to see how it plans out.

New captain for our Jimmy bruen this year. Me and my partner dropped even though we had the best score last year at qualifying which we didnt get through. No sign up sheet, no trials.

Had a look at the 10 handicaps and there's no way he can make have 5 pairs with minimum 15 so be interesting to see how it plans out.

No clubs open yet but 5&10..6&9..8&7...15 is minimum combined not set in stone and the best pairings may have a Combined handicap higher than 15

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

If the purcell & bruen move to 4balls, is that not just really the junior cup with some 10 handicappers playing alongside?!

primarily, a 5 handicapper should be the dominant player in such a pairing and possibly moreso in purcell.

slingerz wrote: »
    If the purcell & bruen move to 4balls, is that not just really the junior cup with some 10 handicappers playing alongside?!

primarily, a 5 handicapper should be the dominant player in such a pairing and possibly moreso in purcell.

PP lowest is 11 but I see your logic

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

it would certainly change how you do pairings if you had a limited panel.

e.g. stick the worst with the best as the best will probably count on all the holes anyway.

Or even maybe go for matched handicaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I am helping manage the PP and with the move fourball am very excited to unleash the 6 foot 6 Danish viking 13 handicapper with his 280-300 drives in the fourball format rather than foursomes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Instead of moving from foursomes to fourballs, couldn't they just leave it but allow each player to use their own ball on the green?
    Changing the format kinda defeats the purpose of the competition.

I think instead of 4Ball they should be singles match play. The pace of play for a 4Ball would be chronic and would never get completed over a weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

They won’t be over a weekend, they are going to be played matchplay home/away. 3 matches at the home team course & two at the away teams course, played at the same time.

Just talking today about this and although nothing confirmed yet, they are sopposedly looking at a minimum combined and maximum combined in each of these comps and each player will receive shots as per handicap and index..That would seem to be a fairer way to do it..I hope so as I'm managing our PP team this year and I had done all the prep for 4somes, now it's a totally different senario with 4 balls..Back to the drawing board

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Just talking today about this and although nothing confirmed yet, they are sopposedly looking at a minimum combined and maximum combined in each of these comps and each player will receive shots as per handicap and index..That would seem to be a fairer way to do it..I hope so as I'm managing our PP team this year and I had done all the prep for 4somes, now it's a totally different senario with 4 balls..Back to the drawing board

How would maximum combined work?

They’d be better off just knocking them on the head for this year I feel

How would maximum combined work?

They’d be better off just knocking them on the head for this year I feel
    I don't know tbh but if I take the PP as an example and atm the minimum combined h/c is 25 with lowest allowed 11h/c..They might introduce a maximum combined of 29 with highest allowable 18 h/c and in this way if shots are involved no player would have more than 1 shot on a hole, Just my angle on it in way of fairness and like The JB, it will stop it just being a match primarily between the lower handicappers, these are my thoughts on it and don't have any insider knowledge of what's going to happen as clubs have to come back with their ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Fully agree with this. Teams should be loaded with 5/10 and 6/9 pairings.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If they want to keep it as fourballs then it should be combined scores for each pairing, otherwise, as above, its just junior cup singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

GreeBo wrote: »
    If they want to keep it as fourballs then it should be combined scores for each pairing, otherwise, as above, its just junior cup singles.
    Not at all, you want to get the most volatility together within reason. Par on each hole will be the target which is tough for 11 handicappers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Personally I would knock the interclubs on the head for 2020.
    I would not be in favour of tweaking the foursomes to fourballs
    If any competitions were to proceed I would look at the individual ones, senior cup, junior cup, the metro in Dublin and its provincial counterpart.

Advertisement