Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to take a walk [Oranmore]

• 12-05-2020 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Title should say 'around Oranmore!'

Taking a look at the 5km from me website for ideas but it's people who have the experiential advice! Based in Oranmore, so looking for walks round there..ventured to Renville and Merlin Woods last week for the first time in ages, any other short walks like that anyone knows of, away from main roads and cars?

Haven't been to Uncleeens wood in a long time, recommend for a stroll with a toddler?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Haven't been to Uncleeens wood in a long time

Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2737408,-8.989574,3a,75y,11.3h,89.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWVRma7J7F1PMu67O52-sbQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Yeah Uncleen should be good (unless there are signs it's closed).
    Might be some tricky parts for a buggy but it's fairly flat.

Merlin Woods is closed to the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Hey,

Taking a look at the 5km from me website for ideas but it's people who have the experiential advice! Based in Oranmore, so looking for walks round there..ventured to Renville and Merlin Woods last week for the first time in ages, any other short walks like that anyone knows of, away from main roads and cars?

Haven't been to Uncleeens wood in a long time, recommend for a stroll with a toddler?

Uncleens paths are pretty good now just the top right corner is a bit bumpy with a buggy
    Down Rosshill is usually fairly quiet towards the sea ( turn off to left before rail bridge )

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

biko wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2737408,-8.989574,3a,75y,11.3h,89.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWVRma7J7F1PMu67O52-sbQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Yeah Uncleen should be good (unless there are signs it's closed).
    Might be some tricky parts for a buggy but it's fairly flat.

Merlin Woods is closed to the public.

You're allowed to walk in Merlin Woods as long as it's within your 5KM

https://www.facebook.com/mikecubbard.campaignpage/posts/3815521471853119

I'll agree when Galway city officially says it's ok or this Merlin sign is removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Same signs at Barna Woods and council confirmed to me (via email) that they are accessible to locals.

Then I assume they will announce something officially soon.
    Note I am not trying to stop locals from visiting their local neighbourhoods, I am just preventing guessing and speculation until there is clear official confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Note I am not trying to stop locals from visiting their local neighbourhoods, I am just preventing guessing and speculation until there is clear official confirmation.

This is the very frustrating part where locals have asked both council and gardaí about using amenities within their 2/5 k and have gotten the all clear. I am assuming they don't want to broadcast. Westside pitch the same since the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

Hey,

Im open to correction on its current state but the last two times i was at uncleens(about 6/7 months ago,and 1 yr ago) i found it littered in spots(especially around the lower woods) with baby wipes and used condoms. Was very dissappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Derrydonnell woods is nice and quiet. https://maps.app.goo.gl/wpUrXXkhkWFQiz4x5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

That's the only sign around merlin woods there are no other signs at any entrances to the woods so it seems that sign is for the allotments and not the actual woods.

https://2kmfromhome.com/5km/ show how far you can go from home.

Advertisement