Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone 4G home broadband now 300gb

• 06-10-2019 11:07am

I’ve only just seen this now,
    I’ve been checking weekly since I heard the tech journalist Adrian Weckler briefly mention it a few weeks back.
    For those of us who rely on this they’re now calling it Simply Broadband 4G
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband.html
    Also looks like 12 month contract.
    Will be calling them tomorrow to see as I’m near the end of the 2 year contract.
    Currently paying €55 for 250GB so at least this is something.

One line in the t&c is concerning from my reading of it
    “ A speed cap of 10mbps is imposed on this tariff plan.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

Do you know what model 4G router they use and can an external LTE antenna be connected, called into the shop today but the staff didn't know what I was talking about.

What I got 2 years ago was a Huawei B528.
    Pic on the site looks the same.
    There’s no connection for an aerial on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

I think its also called the gigacube?, are the antenna connections hidden under a cover at the back maybe? see attachment
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Did they ever resolve the DNS issues they had on this service ?

Kavs wrote: »
    I think its also called the gigacube?, are the antenna connections hidden under a cover at the back maybe? see attachment
    Thanks.

indeed they are, never copped them as never had signal problems, but thats another thread

• Advertisement

Got it during the week and it is working very well even at peak times, I was getting 30/40 meg in speedtest, I got an email yesterday saying my profile had been updated and every speed test since has been 20 meg exactly - The terms mentions speed being capped at 10 meg.

TimHorton wrote: »
    Got it during the week and it is working very well even at peak times, I was getting 30/40 meg in speedtest, I got an email yesterday saying my profile had been updated and every speed test since has been 20 meg exactly - The terms mentions speed being capped at 10 meg.

I’d be happy with 20, here’s hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

I have the 150gb contract and pay €45 a month, however I get speeds of 50-70 mb, I don't think I'd give that up for the 300gb.

heffo500 wrote: »
    I have the 150gb contract and pay €45 a month, however I get speeds of 50-70 mb, I don't think I'd give that up for the 300gb.

I've been using this for the past three years.

At the start I was getting between 20 and 30mb. Now the max I get is around 7mb and often its between 1 and 2.

Netflix is often possible midweek, with occasional pauses, but rarely on weekends.

(Right now at 7.45am i get 7mb/4mb speed)

I've been using this for the past three years.

At the start I was getting between 20 and 30mb. Now the max I get is around 7mb and often its between 1 and 2.

Netflix is often possible midweek, with occasional pauses, but rarely on weekends.

(Right now at 7.45am i get 7mb/4mb speed)

Are you using an external antenna?

• Advertisement

Are you using an external antenna?

No, I use a B593 positioned at a second floor window. I was quite happy with 20mb so there was no need to erect an external aerial. Indeed a dependable 5mb would be enough for me but sadly I'm not getting that from Vodafone any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭guano_jim

just signed up for this service.. no mention of a speed cap, i made a point of asking before signing, the vodafone guy said no speed cap just a 300GB/month data cap.
    getting 45Mbps/25Mbps with 17ms ping in DunLaoghaire.

Right now at 11Pm, weeknight, the Vodafone 4G is giving me 0.27mbps download/ 1.68 Upload.

I kid you not.

As mentioned above, It was over 20mbps download when I joined.

Edit: this morning at 7am the readings are 13.3/4.7 which is perfectly acceptable, but will probably be unwatchable tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Stewball

guano_jim wrote: »
    just signed up for this service.. no mention of a speed cap, i made a point of asking before signing, the vodafone guy said no speed cap just a 300GB/month data cap.
    getting 45Mbps/25Mbps with 17ms ping in DunLaoghaire.

A month on - how is it going now with them?
    Thinking of joining myself but a little worried about some of the speeds mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Stewball wrote: »
    Thinking of joining myself but a little worried about some of the speeds mentioned above.

Also interested to hear how it's going, will pop you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭guano_jim

Stewball wrote: »

No issues, went to the shop, signed up, walked out with the modem, worked fine ever since.
    I checked my 4g signal and distance to transmitter before I decided, put the modem on an interior wall closest to the mast.
    Speedtest.org tells me I'm getting around 60mbs d/L and a ping of 17ms.
    Can slow a little from 7 to 10 pm but still well fast enough for Netflix.

Any other q, please ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭murphman

I've had this since the start of January, working very well.
    One issue where it stopped working but did a system reset on the router and it came back fine.

Biggest problem we have now is not speed but data limits.. 300GB. At the end of each month we are using the internet very sparingly. Netflix/Disney+/Amazon Prime/Youtube all eat it up and with kids etc at home more the data is disapearing fast. I reckon if Vodafone were any good they would up the limit during the pandemic or even remove it.

When you hit the limit it just shuts down your internet.. which now that we are working from home will be a disaster!

I'm out in the sticks so I don't really have an alternative which is my problem but I am already looking very hard into it.

murphman wrote: »
    I've had this since the start of January, working very well.
    One issue where it stopped working but did a system reset on the router and it came back fine.

Biggest problem we have now is not speed but data limits.. 300GB. At the end of each month we are using the internet very sparingly. Netflix/Disney+/Amazon Prime/Youtube all eat it up and with kids etc at home more the data is disapearing fast. I reckon if Vodafone were any good they would up the limit during the pandemic or even remove it.

When you hit the limit it just shuts down your internet.. which now that we are working from home will be a disaster!

I'm out in the sticks so I don't really have an alternative which is my problem but I am already looking very hard into it.

My limit on my plan is only 150gb and do exceed it especially now.

Can you pay to increase your limit when you breach it? I think I can pay €10 extra and get an extra 100gb for the month.

I also turned my Netflix streaming quality down from 1080p to 720p which helps, Can you that with your Disney+?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Has anyone switched from the original plan of 150 gig for 45 to the new plan of 300 for 40 or is it possible even?
    I'm just over a year into two year plan and with wfh etc the extra data would be useful. Kind of annoyed that they have doubled the allowance since. I'd pay 45 still if can get the 300 gig.

The now have a corporate 4G Plan with 500 gb Monthly allowance (Got Dongle from work to WFH), So now I have 800gb a month allowance !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭murphman

My limit on my plan is only 150gb and do exceed it especially now.

Can you pay to increase your limit when you breach it? I think I can pay €10 extra and get an extra 100gb for the month.

I also turned my Netflix streaming quality down from 1080p to 720p which helps, Can you that with your Disney+?

I've the netflix turned down already but Disney and Prime don't have the option to reduce. Not sure if you can top your vodafone when you hit limit, it just stops the internet. Watching every day, even have the kids watching the current balance of internet left.. its a modern day.. 'watching the immersion and not to leave it on'.

I use PLEX as much as we can with movies stored on local drive to try reduce internet usage.. currently 56.5 GB left with 6 days until reset..

In case anyone is wondering. I got onto VF on chat this morning and they have changed me over to the 300 gig a month plan for 40 now so happy days.

Gavman84 wrote: »
    In case anyone is wondering. I got onto VF on chat this morning and they have changed me over to the 300 gig a month plan for 40 now so happy days.

I tried it there and they wouldn't let me change as I'm still in a 24 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Eircom is 750gb for €30 per month. Dependent on coverage of course.

I tried it there and they wouldn't let me change as I'm still in a 24 month contract.
    They never said anything to me about that and I'm 14 months into 24 month. Iv been moved as got email confirming and can see new limit on my Vodafone. Maybe try another agent :confused:
    I did say as I'm wfh I need the extra data so that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Stewball

Eircom is 750gb for €30 per month. Dependent on coverage of course.

I was paying €30 per month for 50GB, but I switched to a new plan back in February - I'm now paying €38 for 250GB for the first 6 months then up to €53 for the final 6 months.

What's the likely hood they'll let me switch to this new plan?

Gavman84 wrote: »
    They never said anything to me about that and I'm 14 months into 24 month. Iv been moved as got email confirming and can see new limit on my Vodafone. Maybe try another agent :confused:
    I did say as I'm wfh I need the extra data so that might help.

I tried again last week and I think they changed me over, told me to check my next bill to see if it has been approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

would a regular sim for one of the phone plans work in this router? might be a good option to get unlimited data with the new plans when out of contract!
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/bill-pay-plans.html

Could always try it with an unlimited vodafone X plan, limited to 10Mbps speed but could be a cheap test
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Consonata

Is there any higher cap than 300gb. It looks like we’re going to be hitting that cap pretty soon

• Advertisement

Scruff wrote: »

Could always try it with an unlimited vodafone X plan, limited to 10Mbps speed but could be a cheap test
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x.html

Does anybody know how the capping works on a technical level?

My normal speed from Vodafone is 2-4, frequently less than 1 and virtually never over 10 (i did get over 20 at times three years ago) . I am located 7km from the mast. For my use 4 is good enough and 8 is brilliant !

I am paying full whack.

If i switched to this plan, would it leave my signal as it is now, saving some money, or would it further degrade it, which given how poor it is now would probably destroy it alltogether?

Advertisement