Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers of Europe - anyone ordered from them?

• 01-05-2020 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of ordering one of everything to try out in their cider selection which looks fantastic.
    Delivery looks reasonable at £11 to Ireland, anyone have experience buying from them before and what was it like, any problems?
    Website- https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has ordered through them.
    Lots I haven't had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Supercell wrote: »
    Thinking of ordering one of everything to try out in their cider selection which looks fantastic.
    Delivery looks reasonable at £11 to Ireland, anyone have experience buying from them before and what was it like, any problems?
    Website- https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/

Had actually come on to start a thread here as I’d also be very interested to read some reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'll let you know, just got confirmation that my order has been shipped.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Greg81

Order arrived today.
    Delivered by UPS, no broken bottles.
    Lots of different ciders to try out, well pleased I have to say. I ordered last Friday on a bank holiday weekend and delivered on the following Thursday, today.
    Happy weekend to me, hic!

512054.jpg

• Advertisement

Order arrived today.
    Delivered by UPS, no broken bottles.
    Lots of different ciders to try out, well pleased I have to say. I ordered last Friday on a bank holiday weekend and delivered on the following Thursday, today.
    Happy weekend to me, hic!

Awesome.

Time to make an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Any beer recommendations from that site? ie ones that you cant get here

I just order 30 beers from different countries. The ones I have never tried and are not on the market in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Huge amount of beers on the site are “out of stock”.

Gonna try some of the stouts and imperial stouts, if anyone has any recommendations on it please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

any problems?
    there is the poential of being stung for duty and I think VAT is also applied to excisable goods.

I reckon the bigger the order the bigger the chance of being stung, as it makes it more worthwhile for them to go through the paperwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

rubadub wrote: »
    there is the poential of being stung for duty and I think VAT is also applied to excisable goods.

I reckon the bigger the order the bigger the chance of being stung, as it makes it more worthwhile for them to go through the paperwork.

Yeah, I had issues with customs when I ordered last year from Beer52. And that was on a free introductory offer from them. Customs eventually let me off with paying but basically said if I ordered similar again then I'd be hit with a charge. My friend also had the same experience.

The reason they left off the charges was because it was only 8 bottles which they understood wasn't being used to supply/sell to other people, rather it was for personal use.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place now, as I've just seen that they have beers from The Garden Brewery in Croatia, and I've been waiting ages to find somewhere that stops them. Had a couple of their beers in France and they were absolutely delicious.

My order is scheduled for delivery for tomorrow. I will keep you posted if I had any issues.

The reason they left off the charges was because it was only 8 bottles which they understood wasn't being used to supply/sell to other people, rather it was for personal use.
    personal use does not matter, just in case anybody thinks its some exemption. Customs officially do not collect VAT below €6 on regular goods. It would not be worth the paperwork. That is the figure on paper, in reality it might be higher, could depend on if they are busy or not.

I remember people getting stung on groupon deals. I expect a load of orders arrived in a container in 1 go, so it was easier to process them all, as the forms would be similar, and reading invoices etc would be easier to do in bulk with items all done the same.

I must have gotten lucky, my order had 34 bottles and was delivered no problem. They are based in the UK so I thought it wouldn't be an issue, just like driving from the north with a carload of booze, its for personal usage?
    Also its pretty obvious from the box as to what they are, see my picture above. Not saying you are wrong rubadub, just wondering if I got lucky for real?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

just like driving from the north with a carload of booze, its for personal usage?
    The specific rule is you have to transport it yourself to avoid liability for tax and duty in the destination country. If you're getting it shipped, it has to be squared with Irish Revenue.

They are based in the UK so I thought it wouldn't be an issue, just like driving from the north with a carload of booze, its for personal usage?
    you have to personally accompany it, that is how you can bring home a certain limit on a plane or driving over the border.

Loads do get through, it would seem more often than not it does. Just be aware and factor it in as a risk in your pricing.

There have been loads of reports of it happening in various threads. The revenue site make it very clear too.

There was some other online shop in the EU mentioned in bargain alerts and they blatantly lied about it being OK. They know full well it is not, they also likely know most gets through so do not have to deal with many complaints.

Thanks guys, good to know.

personal use does not matter, just in case anybody thinks its some exemption. Customs officially do not collect VAT below €6 on regular goods. It would not be worth the paperwork. That is the figure on paper, in reality it might be higher, could depend on if they are busy or not.

I remember people getting stung on groupon deals. I expect a load of orders arrived in a container in 1 go, so it was easier to process them all, as the forms would be similar, and reading invoices etc would be easier to do in bulk with items all done the same.

Cheers for the info. The €6 figure you mention; is that goods valued at €6 and below? Or do you mean they won't collect VAT if they are not going to get more than €6 from it?

Cheers for the info. The €6 figure you mention; is that goods valued at €6 and below? Or do you mean they won't collect VAT if they are not going to get more than €6 from it?
    They won't collect below €6 in vat

The €6 figure does not apply to excisable goods. So even if you bought a 250ml bottle of 2% beer you are liable, though highly unlike they would bother. Years ago people would have subscriptions to places in spain that would send out a pack of cigarettes every day, in the hope they would not bother collecting.

For non excisable goods the offical limit where vat is charged is €22, however with the current VAT rate of 23% this in effect means the limit is about €26, since at €24 the vat is €5.52 and so below the official €6 figure,

£16 shipping fee. Means I'd be paying roughly €6 a can for the 8 cansI'm ordering. Plus whatever vat gets put on top. Fairly steep.

• Advertisement

£16 shipping fee. Means I'd be paying roughly €6 a can for the 8 cansI'm ordering. Plus whatever vat gets put on top. Fairly steep.

Happy to pay that amount taking under consideration the variety of beers. And ordering more bottles/cans in my case I just adding 50p per piece.

Anyway let's wait and see if my order will be delivered. Status has be changed to: out for delivery so waiting for DHL now.

I think its likely they would not bother with a mere 8 cans.

I think its likely they would not bother with a mere 8 cans.

See my earlier post on the thread. I got 8 Free bottles and it caused an issue with customs.

Guys,

Parcels just arrived. 30 beers. No problem at all. Happy Days

Greg81 wrote: »
    Guys,

Parcels just arrived. 30 beers. No problem at all. Happy Days

How long from order to delivery?

I found the selection of Czech beers disappointing.

How long from order to delivery?

Ordered 7th of May
    Parcel sent 11th of May
    Delivered 13th of May

Advertisement