Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac forum - General chit chat/idle banter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Steak wrote: »
    Thanks folks.

With the i5, 16GB RAM and 256GB I'm looking at €1,529. Obviously I want any machine I purchase to be as future-proofed as possible but find it hard to justify spending €1,529. I know Macs hold there value so maybe that can somehow justify it.

The 13" MacBook Pro with the i5, 8GB RAM and 128GB comes in at €1,549, €20 more than the above MBA. If I do decide to pull the trigger on this should I consider a MBP? It looks a much lesser machine on paper?

Here's a head wrecker for you :D There's a new MBP expected imminently.. so buying one now would probably bad idea..

But like whiterebel said, if you're not looking for horsepower, just go get the MBA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I moved some posts into the Catalina thread in case anyone is looking for them. The site is so slow!

My job provided me with a laptop with remote access to work from home recently and the trackpad is terrible! I had to connect a mouse. It made me really appreciate the trackpad on my MacBook.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I moved some posts into the Catalina thread in case anyone is looking for them. The site is so slow!

My job provided me with a laptop with remote access to work from home recently and the trackpad is terrible! I had to connect a mouse. It made me really appreciate the trackpad on my MacBook.

The trackpad on apple laptops over the years have always been so much better than alternative brands, it's just something that they've oddly never addressed on a wide scale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was thinking of a recording a voice message for my friend who lives in Canada, rather than writing a long email. Voice Memos solid enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

I’ve a new MacBook Pro arriving next week (fingers crossed) .. 13” i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD to replace my 2017 MBP 13”

One thing I didn’t think about - I’ve parallels running on the current machine with a copy of Win 10 Pro ... and I’m not sure I still have the license details for Windows - it was installed with a genuine key but I’ve no idea where it is.

Am I snookered and need to buy a new license for the new machine or is there any hope of restoring the new mac from timemachine and the licences just coming across ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

whippet wrote: »
    I’ve a new MacBook Pro arriving next week (fingers crossed) .. 13” i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD to replace my 2017 MBP 13”

One thing I didn’t think about - I’ve parallels running on the current machine with a copy of Win 10 Pro ... and I’m not sure I still have the license details for Windows - it was installed with a genuine key but I’ve no idea where it is.

Am I snookered and need to buy a new license for the new machine or is there any hope of restoring the new mac from timemachine and the licences just coming across ?

It's years since i used Parallels, but the licence should be linked to the virtual machine, not the Mac. So all you should have to do is copy the virtual machine files over to the new Mac and away you go. What you are describing would only be an issue with a Bootcamp installation of Windows.

It's years since i used Parallels, but the licence should be linked to the virtual machine, not the Mac. So all you should have to do is copy the virtual machine files over to the new Mac and away you go. What you are describing would only be an issue with a Bootcamp installation of Windows.

Will time machine do that for me - or should I manually copy them over?

Will time machine do that for me - or should I manually copy them over?

It should do so, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

In a predicament, and need a bit of advice. I have a Late 2013 MBP 13" from release, and I damaged the screen over the weekend. It owes me very little at this stage, was used everyday for general stuff, but I work in Software development, so like to dabble on some of my own stuff on the side, and it served me. At the time when ordering I opted to upgrade the RAM to 16gb and SSD to 256gb, which I feel is the reason it has still performed well almost 7 years later. I got a few quotes to repair the screen, but 450-500 euro on a laptop of this age feels like a waste, and the battery could also do with replacing.

I was really interested in a refurbished 16" MBP from the official store , but I saw this morning the release of the new 13" model. There is very little difference in price, but I am wondering if it is worthwhile spending the extra few quid on the 16" refurb(circa 300 euro difference)? I bought a refurb iPad a few years ago and it was great, never any problems and it was like new. Just the release today of the new 13" has made me re-consider. 13" is an ideal size for me, but I see on the 16" it actually feels closer to 15" with the thin bezel. Would also be jumping from i5 to an i7 and a dedicated graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

RobTheLad wrote: »
    In a predicament, and need a bit of advice. I have a Late 2013 MBP 13" from release, and I damaged the screen over the weekend. It owes me very little at this stage, was used everyday for general stuff, but I work in Software development, so like to dabble on some of my own stuff on the side, and it served me. At the time when ordering I opted to upgrade the RAM to 16gb and SSD to 256gb, which I feel is the reason it has still performed well almost 7 years later. I got a few quotes to repair the screen, but 450-500 euro on a laptop of this age feels like a waste, and the battery could also do with replacing.

I was really interested in a refurbished 16" MBP from the official store , but I saw this morning the release of the new 13" model. There is very little difference in price, but I am wondering if it is worthwhile spending the extra few quid on the 16" refurb(circa 300 euro difference)? I bought a refurb iPad a few years ago and it was great, never any problems and it was like new. Just the release today of the new 13" has made me re-consider. 13" is an ideal size for me, but I see on the 16" it actually feels closer to 15" with the thin bezel. Would also be jumping from i5 to an i7 and a dedicated graphics card.

The just released version of the 13" has the scissor style keyboard, as does the new 16". The butterfly keyboard experiment was a disaster, so as you're coming from a 2013 MBP, you won't have to go through that pain. By all accounts the new keyboard is pretty good. I've my eye on the 16" and might go for the refurb version. As for my late 2016 15" MBP, not sure what to do with it, I can only get €230 for a trade in.

ps. I'd say go for the 16".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Anything from refurb store has always been pristine condition. Plus you can send it back within 14 days if you don't like it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

JL555 wrote: »
    The just released version of the 13" has the scissor style keyboard, as does the new 16". The butterfly keyboard experiment was a disaster, so as you're coming from a 2013 MBP, you won't have to go through that pain. By all accounts the new keyboard is pretty good. I've my eye on the 16" and might go for the refurb version. As for my late 2016 15" MBP, not sure what to do with it, I can only get €230 for a trade in.

Sell it on adverts, or have a look and see what CEX would offer. Apple's trade in values are demented.

OSI wrote: »
    They've literally just released a new one this morning, if you can I'd either cancel that order or return it on delivery.

Yep !! The machine is already in the country .. it ordered through work so can’t cancel it now !! Not too concerned mind you

I was at odds before ordering my 2020 MBA knowing the MBP was imminent, however, I am glad I went with the Air. I would have thought they'd bump the processor to the 10th gens for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

I think the reason for 8th gen CPU's is probably down to the availability. There are well documented product shortages from Intel's end, so perhaps by having a mix in their line-up it reduces demand on one single generation . Plus of course it also gives Apple the opportunity to charge more for the newer 10th gen.

That makes sense. Classic Apple squeezing every cent out of everyone.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I have a new Macbook Air arriving - are they still giving away a free year of AppleTV+ with new products? If so, how do you get it :D

Yep. Once you open AppleTV app with the same AppleID it's automatic:D

Enjoy your new Air! They're awesome!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Did get a chuckle out of hearing about the Mac Pro Wheels.

Did get a chuckle out of hearing about the Mac Pro Wheels.

Here's another chuckle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Finally bit the bullet and ordered the"16 MBP, i9 and upgraded the graphics option. The late 2016 15" I have will either become a desktop or get a new keyboard and give it to herself. She can deal with the butterfly :) I'm saying goodbye to it......

• Advertisement

It should do so, yes.

I got the new Mac yesterday and decided against a Time machine restore - lots of reasons including the fact that I had a load of crap on the old machine and it would take too long to figure out what I wanted to keep and what I wanted to get rid of.

Moving the Win 10 VM over was simple - just install Parallels and drag and drop the VM.

As about 99% of everything I need is either in iCloud, OneNote or Sharepoint it made sense not to bring anything over and just install all the apps fresh and only as I need them - will probably end up ditching about 30-40% of the apps I had installed.

I'm not too concerned about the keyboard - my 2017 Mac never really gave me any problem at that end - but first time with the TouchBar and I'm not really sure what to make of it.

I got the new Mac yesterday .

I'm not too concerned about the keyboard - my 2017 Mac never really gave me any problem at that end - but first time with the TouchBar and I'm not really sure what to make of it.

All the new (2020 and 2019 16" Pro) have the new keyboard.. so surely you shouldn't be worried.. unless its a new previous version?

All the new (2020 and 2019 16" Pro) have the new keyboard.. so surely you shouldn't be worried.. unless its a new previous version?

it's a new previous version unfortunately - it was on order for about 6 weeks through work (build to order) so was winging its way from Apple via a UK distributor for weeks. So when Apple were launching the new ones mine was sitting in the office in Dublin waiting to be sent to my home !!

I'm happy enough with it - I only ever hold on to my work Mac for 3 years at most so will just time the next order a little better !

it's a new previous version unfortunately - it was on order for about 6 weeks through work (build to order) so was winging its way from Apple via a UK distributor for weeks. So when Apple were launching the new ones mine was sitting in the office in Dublin waiting to be sent to my home !!

I'm happy enough with it - I only ever hold on to my work Mac for 3 years at most so will just time the next order a little better !

Ah, cool cool.. sure there are so many people who have had no issues with the keyboards (I know plenty), like everything we mostly hear the bad. I guess it's hard to time with Apple, the way they just put out updates sometimes, I know there are analysts that make all the claims of an imminent release, the 14 inch Pro is a good example.. and then Apple release the updated previous version.

Ah, cool cool.. sure there are so many people who have had no issues with the keyboards (I know plenty), like everything we mostly hear the bad. I guess it's hard to time with Apple, the way they just put out updates sometimes, I know there are analysts that make all the claims of an imminent release, the 14 inch Pro is a good example.. and then Apple release the updated previous version.

My Mac usually sits in the dock 95% of the time and when I'm out and about I use the iPad Pro so the keyboard doesn't get much use !

I've been dealing with Apple for close to 2 decades at this stage and I tend to never take much notice of the rumours as 90% of the time they are wildly off the mark.

The only rumors I pay regular attention to is the iPhone as I update most years (although I skipped the 11). Looking forward to getting the 12 (IF) leaks are true to how it's going to look. The 4/5 shape was and is my favourite look of the iPhone to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sometimes issues show up late, such as manufacturing tests (e.g. here's something you won't see on any Mac site: the MacPro "trashcan" had a glass housing that just failed at the final hurdle. Remember all those shots of it with it's cover off, they really wanted those internals on show.

I've no knowledge of the 14 specifically, but I guess it was coming and something didn't work out. If i'd to guess, it'd be do to with the microLED screen. What's more telling though, is that Apple still pushed out another rev of the 13 while squeezing in the new keyboard. I've said it before; the butterfly keyboard issue is underreported if anything and it's a wildly expensive problem for Apple to fix. If you've any doubt of that, just look at how quickly they phased out that keyboard once they decided they couldn't fix it.

Time to put my 2007 Macbook into the WEE recycling centre, with HD removed. It's a pity in a way as it was a good workhorse for college. It's just sitting in the wardrobe, tbh.

That's a fine age! It served you well.

• Advertisement

That's a fine age! It served you well.

She did indeed. Fond memories - wrote my MA thesis on it. Long days in the library. Charging brick held up well and is not mangled or anything.

Advertisement