Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upload [Amazon] [**SPOILERS**]

• 12-05-2020 9:33am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Could have sworn this had a thread, but maybe my mod powers aren't that great lol.

New show from Greg Daniels (Parks & Rec, King of the Hill, etc.). This dropped the other day & checked out the first episode. It's ... well, it's fine & has room to grow. Just nothing spectacular yet.

Hard not to think of the Good Place really, given they share the same story subject (the afterlife, the main character a fish of water), and both their characterisations are quite broad and goofy. This was a lot more satirical in tone though, given its afterlife is digital & run by a tech company - with all the lampooning that can spawn.

Anyone who plays games in 2020 will appreciate many of the gags in heaven; a heaven made of microtransactions feels more like hell to me :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

this looks absolutely terrible.
    Prime really doesn't have a patch on Netflix in terms of quality content

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

this looks absolutely terrible.
    Prime really doesn't have a patch on Netflix in terms of quality content

Funny, based on current offerings, I would have said the opposite; a lot of Netflix's recent output has been very, intentionally(?) trashy compared with Amazon's.

Anyway: trailer's for comedies are hard 'cos the giggles require context & setup: I'm happy to keep going - especially given Parks & Rec was famously awful in Season 1.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Am most of the way through the series. It needs better writers, there is so much they could have done with it but it's really just 25 minutes of mildly fun distraction. Issues or storylines come up and just seem to be forgotten about, making them pointless and unnecessary.

I haven't seen the final episode quite yet, but can see them stretching this out into another series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Am most of the way through the series. It needs better writers, there is so much they could have done with it but it's really just 25 minutes of mildly fun distraction. Issues or storylines come up and just seem to be forgotten about, making them pointless and unnecessary.

I haven't seen the final episode quite yet, but can see them stretching this out into another series.
    It already got renewed for a second season last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I really enjoyed it.

Not sure what people are expecting from a 25 minute comedy by the writer of The Office. I liked the picture of the near future they created and it had a good few slapstick/gross out belly laughs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It already got renewed for a second season last week

Netflix won't be overly concerned to hear that...

Much of the final episode was very cringy. Was it written by a 1 year old girl?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

On episode 2 now... it's okay. Not super exciting. I like the concept

Always wonder if it's really you or a copy of you that gets uploaded though!

edit: it definitely gets better, it's pretty good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the first 3 episodes and it's "fine", sometimes drifting into "underwhelming". There's a really engaging intellectual drama to be had here about a digitised after-life, but the somewhat scattershot jokes & humour bring it down when they didn't land. Often, it felt like the writers felt compelled to jam in some goofy humour for the sake of it. The perversion of this universe - leasing the after-life for your loved ones, yikes - should be enough to wry some dark laughs as it stands.

Also, the "private investigator" character feels like they were writing for Mellisa McCarthy but couldn't get her onboard. Maybe it's just me.

And while only tangentially related to The Good Place, I can't help but constantly think of how much better that show managed the ennui of a curated After Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am quite enjoying it.
    It's a really interesting idea and it's growing on me, some bits don't quite work for me, e.g. the investigator....awful. Definitely not quite at the same level as the good place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you're watching it, just stop at Episode 9 and only watch Episode 10 when Season 2 is available because it's a rubbish finale and best not to linger on it. Episode 9 is much better and works as a finale itself.

ixoy wrote: »
    If you're watching it, just stop at Episode 9 and only watch Episode 10 when Season 2 is available because it's a rubbish finale and best not to linger on it. Episode 9 is much better and works as a finale itself.

Belatedly finished this, as kinda drifted out of my mind. Which kinda says it all really. Would agree with the above in the finale felt weirdly detached from the previous episode.

A very unessential show but one with potential too. Season 2 needs to pick a lane though: the comedy was too flat, with the broad swings not landing in the way Good Place managed. The drama itself being too tepid in place of aforementioned humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

"Prime video's #1 half-hour comedy returns"? Had they even that many to begin with?

A fun little distraction of a show, little else; while anything that has a Wealth Inequality angle feels really awkward when it's broadcast on Amazon of all things.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Could have done with a better recap.. no clue what the hell was going on!

Enjoyed episode one of the new season. It's a really nice easy watch.

Just finished it there, 7 episodes was not enough. Hopefully it gets renewed for a third season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Loved season 1: season 2 is muck. The writing is non-existent, and only 7 episodes? WTF? Too many unnecessary and unfunny background characters hogging the camera this season. I hate them! Very little of Nora and Nathan together, which is a shame because they had good chemistry. It's just terribly underwritten and very inconsistent. Looking at the credits, it seems that Greg Daniels has tasked others with the writing and directing this season; he is sorely missed, like when he took his eye off The Office and it turned to ****.

• Advertisement

Yeah found the writing all over the place this season. The amount of plot lines they just forgot about like

the detective, the AI becoming self aware and why Noras friend was getting promoted for no reason

Totally agree a lot of loose ends. I am guessing COVID impacted it?

I still enjoyed it but very uneven

I don't think COVID can be used as an excuse for bad writing.

I know what you mean but it was 7 episodes versus what 10 for season 1? I am guessing that would have helped fill in some gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

The main female lead is not believable.

• Advertisement

Advertisement