Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crypto debit cards latest?

• 26-02-2020 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Morning all, heading on a trip to US and just wondering if anyone is up to date or would like to share their experiences with good crypto debit cards that are in the market?
    Following the trip, I'd be interested in using it home and abroad.
    Is the Coinbase Card the best available in Ireland? Or is Revolut the way to go - or Xapo - or maybe Wirex ???
    Are the rates prohibitive for exchanging into Euro and or Dollar?

Am I right saying that if I used a Wirex for example, I can then add that card to my Curve card and use it that way as well?

All advice appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've just got the Revolut, havent used it yet abroad but the rates are supposed to be better than average and the app is very easy to use

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I've just got the Revolut, havent used it yet abroad but the rates are supposed to be better than average and the app is very easy to use

Thanks for that - I have looked at Revolut, but afaik it's a closed env for Cryptos? I can buy supported cryptos within the Revolut platform and spend it or send to other Revolut holders, but I can't send it or receive it from an external wallet - I might be misunderstanding it though

What I'd like to do is have a crypto debit card that I can send crypto to, from Kraken for example, and use that crypto for fiat ATM withdrawals at home and abroad or spending (as mastercard/visa debit) if I want - and of course pay in crypto if I want where it is accepted...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Revolut is an easy means of access to crypto, but it's buy/sell spreads are very wide and unlike many other normal exchange platforms.
    There is no real opportunity to swing trade and in reality @3.5% move or greater is needed to break even on a trade.

You also don't have any ability to withdraw or deposit crypto to private/personal addresses, as such you don't hold the keys so it's not your crypto.

Now leaving crypto aside, Revolut is a fantastic tool for FX trading, travel, FX exchange and international transfers.
    For Crypto, it offers ease of entry but at a high comparative price.

Coinbase cryptocard.
    I have one, but to be quite honest I have yet to use it for any transactions.
    Good app, simple and easy.

MCO card,
    Registered but never followed thru on my application.

Daithi40 wrote: »

Thanks for that - I have looked at Revolut, but afaik it's a closed env for Cryptos? I can buy supported cryptos within the Revolut platform and spend it or send to other Revolut holders, but I can't send it or receive it from an external wallet - I might be misunderstanding it though

What I'd like to do is have a crypto debit card that I can send crypto to, from Kraken for example, and use that crypto for fiat ATM withdrawals at home and abroad or spending (as mastercard/visa debit) if I want - and of course pay in crypto if I want where it is accepted...

Binance are launching one soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

banie01 wrote: »
    MCO card,
    Registered but never followed thru on my application.

I like what crypto.com are doing with an decently integrated and fairly practical ecosystem of everything you need related to crypto (broker, exchange, lending, borrowing, etc) and briefing all of this with fiat currencies and payment services.

The cashback on their cards seems like a nice bonus as well.

They are a bit late with shipping the cards to Europe though, but they have started to send them to the U.K. and said the rest of Europe will follow in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Update: obviously the trip to NY and Miami ^^ has been cancelled but i did some more research and ended up getting both Wirex and i decided to complete my Revolut application. So now have them both and am happy with the choice. Particilarly like wirex and have seemlessly and easily transferred some ltc from Kraken to the card and then easily changed it to euro. Have also easily and quickly added fiat to wirex by linking bank cards. Will use revolut for fx when needed. Coupled with the Curve card i got in the last year its all quite handy. I cannot add Wirex to Curve, havent tried revolut as have my folks address for card delivery and they are self isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Anyone receive their Crypto.com MCO Visa card yet? The Ruby Steel card (50 MCO tokens) is tempting.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Anyone receive their Crypto.com MCO Visa card yet? The Ruby Steel card (50 MCO tokens) is tempting.

The only European country they have started to ship to is the U.K. (very recently).

Other European countries are supposed to be imminent.

Anyone have an up to date list of which countries the MCO card is currently available for? Did a search but can't find an updated list.

Anyone have an up to date list of which countries the MCO card is currently available for? Did a search but can't find an updated list.

It says here “Now available in the UK, USA & Singapore”. I think the U.K. is really just starting , the US have been available for a few month, and some Singapore cards have been around for a while and have also in some circumstances been issued to some people in other countries (but with SGD as the base currency).

The CEO has been tweeting about an EU-wide launch for the past few weeks and saying it is imminent and just pending some administrative tasks by Wirecard (he has already pushed his estimate date a few times though). Here is the latest:

https://twitter.com/Kris_HK/status/1256006899813638145

PS: you probably know this already, but you need to stake tokens for 6 months to get the card anyway, so if you want one you might as well get started now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Has anyone come across a card that has no atm fees / fx fees (other than the standard visa/mastercard rate)?

Has anyone come across a card that has no atm fees / fx fees (other than the standard visa/mastercard rate)?

Crypto.com doesn’t have those fees up to a certain monthly amount, and the amount depends on your card tier (see the different tiers here, the top 2 tiers really require A LOT of their own token and seem like a niche to me: https://crypto.com/en/cards.html).

At least on paper, their cards actually seem pretty good to me.

this ties in with another thread on Crypto exchange recommendations

I see that Uphold has a debit card (Mastercard)

I have an account on Uphold setup and its linked to my Brave browser activity
    Setup the app last night for Uphold and its so easy to use, bit like Revolut but with the option of being able to send/withdraw crypto from another exchange/cold storage

Need to read up more on how the debit card transactions relate to the varios wallets on the account, I imagine you just fund the EUR wallet from a crypto wallet when you want to use, but this is how it should be going forward, straightforward simple movement of money

Yes there are small fees but a lot less than other fees/tax I wont mention

Crypto.com are now shipping their cards to Europe: https://blog.crypto.com/mco-visa-card-now-shipping-in-europe/

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Bob24 wrote: »
    Crypto.com are now shipping their cards to Europe: https://blog.crypto.com/mco-visa-card-now-shipping-in-europe/

Mine is "issued" now, next step should be shipping status over next few days to Ireland hopefully. Two recent things worth mentioning are increased spending limits in EU and topup your MCO card with your debit card directly (with no fees).

Shamo wrote: »
    Mine is "issued" now, next step should be shipping status over next few days to Ireland hopefully. Two recent things worth mentioning are increased spending limits in EU and topup your MCO card with your debit card directly (with no fees).

Yep same here mine changed from “pending” to “issued” on Monday. I think there is a further status saying “shipped” and from there it is meant arrive within 10 working days.

The also added Apple Pay in the US recently, hopefully coming to Europe soon.

thanks, pretty good info in that 20 mins - did you get a ruby card?

Have you had any update on your card status from crypto.com? Mine hasn't moved and still says "issued".

Have you had any update on your card status from crypto.com? Mine hasn't moved and still says "issued".

Nope, still issued. I've been keeping tabs https://www.reddit.com/r/Crypto_com/comments/ghnkf1/eu_status_overview/ and don't think we're too far off shipping status.

• Advertisement

Nope, still issued. I've been keeping tabs https://www.reddit.com/r/Crypto_com/comments/ghnkf1/eu_status_overview/ and don't think we're too far off shipping status.

Good link, thanks! I guess the thread mostly has the very keen people positing on it, but the ratio of people mentioning higher tiers cards is larger than I expected!

Daithi40 wrote: »
    thanks, pretty good info in that 20 mins - did you get a ruby card?

I didn't. I'm going to hold off. I thought I'd have to have one - but I'll just cash some crypto into FIAT and load my revolut instead. Will be watching closely though as these products will get more and more competitive as we go along.

Looks like some people in Ireland have already received it: [url] https://www.reddit.com/r/Crypto_com/comments/gqvxyc/green_card_for_the_green_island_cant_wait_to_try/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x[/url]

Mine went "shipped" this morning anyway.

Mine went "shipped" this morning anyway.

Same here actually.

When did you people order the card and when was it "issued" in your accounts?

When did you people order the card and when was it "issued" in your accounts?

I staked the MCOs just over 6 months ago and it moved to issued last week.

I staked the MCOs just over 6 months ago and it moved to issued last week.

I only staked my (50) MCO a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, keep us updated.

Staked about 6 weeks ago. Issued early last week.

• Advertisement

Mine has also been shipped but I'm out of the country for the foreseeable future. Hopefully I'm not personally required to sign for delivery of the card.

Advertisement