Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headford Road currently blocked at Carrowbrowne due to a protest

• 11-05-2020 11:08pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not speculation. Headford Road currently blocked at Carrowbrowne due to a protest. 40-50 people out on the road blocking traffic. Cars being turned around and not allowed to proceed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Zzippy wrote: »
    Not speculation. Headford Road currently blocked at Carrowbrowne due to a protest. 40-50 people out on the road blocking traffic. Cars being turned around and not allowed to proceed.

Strange that Google maps show no delays

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Discodog wrote: »
    Strange that Google maps show no delays

It's not showing any colour, green red or otherwise on that stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Any indication of what they're protesting about?
    Are there placards or is it just angry people stamping feet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Any indication of what they're protesting about?
    Are there placards or is it just angry people stamping feet?

I just posted what I know to be fact. Not going to engage in speculation. I'm sure there are a few posts on social media by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Very concerned to be sent this video circulating tonight of the Headford Rd being blocked off in protest against Garda checkpoints in the area. An ambulance was blocked for a period of time on the road as it was unable to get through and I'm advised that a number of nurses going to work, and one on their way home after completing a long shift, were also prevented from proceeding along the road. I have spoken to Gardaí in the area and the situation is now under control and the road open. I want to make it clear that this is entirely unacceptable and is condoned by all in the wider area. The Gardaí have been doing an incredible job and are there for everyone's safety and benefit during this national crisis and perfectly upholding the laws. Everyone is in this together and we must all play our part to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Per Cllr James Charity on Facebook along with a video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Ssssshhhhh folks,
    Can't be talking about anything like here to single out a particular group despite the obvious which isn't rumour, they are a law onto themselves. Wouldn't allow emergency service to get through....

I'll feel for any guard having to be near to diffuse the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's not showing any colour, green red or otherwise on that stretch of road.

It didn't last night either. AFAIK it doesn't show at times when volumes are light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Not a single “protester” adhering to social distance. What the hell are they protesting for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Finally some people have the courage to protest against the infernal restrictions and loss of freedoms.

• Advertisement

Not a single “protester” adhering to social distance. What the hell are they protesting for?

I would have zero sympathy for that particular group but I think the Gardai got this very wrong. Whilst they stopped everyone, it was clear that the checkpoints were targeting one group. Anyone that had a checkpoint, each side of their home, practically 24/7 for days would feel singled out. A single undercover car could of done the job with minimal fuss.

Looks like the checkpoints are back this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I would have zero sympathy for that particular group but I think the Gardai got this very wrong. Whilst they stopped everyone, it was clear that the checkpoints were targeting one group. Anyone that had a checkpoint, each side of their home, practically 24/7 for days would feel singled out. A single undercover car could of done the job with minimal fuss.

A single car couldn't have covered either side of the site.
    The guards are trying to protect everyone else, I don't think they had any choice but to set up like they did.
    They swing out onto the road there with the horses and assume everyone else will see them coming and stop, it was only a short matter of time before someone got smathered by a car the way they were carrying on.

Would the cops have been allowed to use their batons to disperse the crowd when they were blocking the ambulance I wonder? Some clowns not to let that past

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Isn't that in the County?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Bullocks wrote: »
    A single car couldn't have covered either side of the site.
    The guards are trying to protect everyone else, I don't think they had any choice but to set up like they did.
    They swing out onto the road there with the horses and assume everyone else will see them coming and stop, it was only a short matter of time before someone got smathered by a car the way they were carrying on.

Would the cops have been allowed to use their batons to disperse the crowd when they were blocking the ambulance I wonder? Some clowns not to let that past

in a different era a solution would have happened to sort this out.

but can't affect their culture sure, so doom the rest of us as a result with their behavior and antics

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

youngrun wrote: »
    Finally some people have the courage to protest against the infernal restrictions and loss of freedoms.

Yeah, tell that to the people whose loved ones have died of Covid.

<<rolleyes>>

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cal naughton

zell12 wrote: »
    Isn't that in the County?

Ha I was wondering when somebody would bring this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Meh, it can stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

On the other thread someone mention the sulkies but I didn't want to add to it since there was warnings on it. A couple of weeks ago when driving back toward Headford, there were two young lads flying on Sulkies.

They brought it on themselves.

They deserve to be singled out. You would swear you were talking about law abiding model citizens.

You really have a very poor understanding of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I don't think you know the true reason here.

• Advertisement

They deserve to be singled out. You would swear you were talking about law abiding model citizens.

My concern is purely that I think they could be being given ammunition for a discrimination case. It's very clear why the two checkpoints have been set up & it's pretty unique.

Why do they deserve to be singled out ?

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I don't think you know the true reason here.

Please explain?

Please explain?

Why are they brave to protest against travel restrictions which everyone of us in this country has been asked and directed to by our government? What right do they have to block off a national road? It's an illegal act in which there is no social distancing being taken. Why should they be allowed to put others lives at risk? There is no justifiable reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

As long as they're being singled out on the basis of their own actions, nothing wrong with it.

I'm sure any others acting in a similar manner would be singled out in the same way.

Are they actually protesting? I haven't heard or seen a spokesperson come out to tell us why they are protesting. No other group has protested against restrictions in this city, county or country. What are they really "protesting" about?

They are being singled out because they are the only people who have taken this stance against restrictions in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

My concern is purely that I think they could be being given ammunition for a discrimination case. It's very clear why the two checkpoints have been set up & it's pretty unique.

I hope if they did take a case that a judge would be quick to throw it out but of course in this country you never know if common sense will prevail in a courtroom

Bullocks wrote: »
    I hope if they did take a case that a judge would be quick to throw it out but of course in this country you never know if common sense will prevail in a courtroom

If they do take a case I would hope the public outcry would be massive.

• Advertisement

Because in this case specifically, widespread movement was observed in and out of a given location where a certain group resided indicating both continued operation of their normal non essential "business", and continued interaction with members of the group living elsewhere. Also been suggested that there may be positive cases within the group also. So its targeted policing based on observed behaviour and the very opposite of singling out

Advertisement