Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Portumna GC -Suspended by GUI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

What's that about ?? Is it about members Handicapping ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Suspended and reinstated.

Doesn't say what for though which you would think would be the important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What is their record like in inter country competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Must have been naughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Beaulieu wrote: »

Absolute gem of a course for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Central Council Meeting of the GUI was hardly held in Carton House on April 27th?

Would travel to Carton House on April 27th for this meeting be essential travel for GUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

What is their record like in inter country competitions?

Very Good for a relatively small course...

Cracking course and complete steal for the price. 17th is absolute cracker, one of the best holes in Connacht...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Carazy wrote: »
    Central Council Meeting of the GUI was hardly held in Carton House on April 27th?

Would travel to Carton House on April 27th for this meeting be essential travel for GUI.

For the love of god stop derailing threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Very Good for a relatively small course...

Cracking course and complete steal for the price. 17th is absolute cracker, one of the best holes in Connacht...

Clearly more than one cowboy there Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bobob

Suspension for 10 days in the middle of a global pandemic??? Finalists in at least 4 interclub comps last year??
    Interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Two committee members resigned as well. Only mention for why is "concerns raised about its management of the CONGU Unified Handicapping System."

I think best to leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Two committee members resigned as well. Only mention for why is "concerns raised about its management of the CONGU Unified Handicapping System."

Jesus. What hope have the honest clubs got.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

bobob wrote: »
    Suspension for 10 days in the middle of a global pandemic??? Finalists in at least 4 interclub comps last year??
    Interesting

Interesting choice of punishment and timing given their success the previous year, so can they start again with the same teams and same handicaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

What exactly is supposed to have happened? Handicap rearrangements? It does not really spell it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Not a strong enough sanction if irregularities were proven, a bit of a cop out really, I remember in a previous club I was a member the Committee cut a few individuals on (don't know the GUI term) what I'd call "Holding your handicap" but winning all around, Pre max 1 shot a year back days..and even after a few threats of litigation as one individual questioned if he was called a cheat, Fair play they stood their ground and insisted on the cuts..They left to join other clubs who were only too willing to embrace them into the club teams

Glebee wrote: »
    What exactly is supposed to have happened? Handicap rearrangements? It does not really spell it out.
    I don't think you ever will. Unless you know somebody from the club or connected to the issue. These things should be more open and transparent, but it's highly unlikely that will ever happen either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

One of the strongest teams in interclub year on year. They are the ones to avoid in every format of interclub competition. Very nice people though. I've always had very enjoyable matches against them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Rikand wrote: »
    One of the strongest teams in interclub year on year. They are the ones to avoid in every format of interclub competition. Very nice people though. I've always had very enjoyable matches against them :)

Surely it is very easy for them to be nice to you when they are cheating their asses off!!

Very often the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

funnily enough i just heard a rumour the last day that portumna was done for having the course open during the pandemic...id say they're spreading this story down there to hide the fact they're a bunch of cowboys :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

funnily enough i just heard a rumour the last day that portumna was done for having the course open during the pandemic...id say they're spreading this story down there to hide the fact they're a bunch of cowboys :D:D

It had absolutely nothing to do with the course being open or otherwise and everything to do with handicaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Surely it is very easy for them to be nice to you when they are cheating their asses off!!

Very often the way!

I've had more wins than losses against them in junior cup down through the years

2-1 and the guy I lost to plays off +3 now.

I've had a lot more losses in jimmy bruen though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Why do you think it best to leave it at that?

Not having a go at you personally, but that's exactly the attitude that encourages clubs to engage in cheating.

I think there should be a detailed report posted by the GUI detailing exactly what their findings were and why the club was sanctioned, naming names if necessary and instigating lifetime membership bans.

However the GUI have no balls when it comes to cheating in our game and are
    extremely fearful of litigation, so clubs who cheat are rewarded.

Sad state of affairs really, highly indicative of our litigious culture.

JCDUB wrote: »
    Why do you think it best to leave it at that?

Not having a go at you personally, but that's exactly the attitude that encourages clubs to engage in cheating.

I think there should be a detailed report posted by the GUI detailing exactly what their findings were and why the club was sanctioned, naming names if necessary and instigating lifetime membership bans.

However the GUI have no balls when it comes to cheating in our game and are
    extremely fearful of litigation, so clubs who cheat are rewarded.

Sad state of affairs really, highly indicative of our litigious culture.
    I would have thought that speculating beyond what is in the press would be a risky endeavour.

However, yes, publishing disciplinary reports should be a no-brainer. It's done in other sports.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thread closed as way too much speculation and hearsay being thrown about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement