Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tastiest homemade soups

• 07-05-2020 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi

What are the tastiest soups you can make

I made a few like sweet potato and carrot but looking for others thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Roald Dahl

I've usually been disappointed with any soup I've tried to make.

The two I can think of that I was happy with were a simple cream of tomato soup and pea and mint soup. They were both made with only five or so ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

https://www.asdagoodliving.co.uk/food/recipes/pea-and-chorizo-soup

I made that pea and chorizo recently and it was amazing. The colour might put people off but its very tasty. I blitzed the chorizo with the rest of the soup which worked very well. You get little bits of chorizo tastiness with every bite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You should have a scroll through the Souper Soup thread :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68791687

The one I make most often is Broccoli soup, post #35. I vary it by using cauliflower or a mix of the two. The onion/garlic/potato base is perfect for a lot of soup, with one and a half pints of stock and 1lb/450g of veg added. I find that a lot of hearty vegetable soups benefit from the addition of a leek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I can't stress the point of seasoning your soups highly enough!

They need much more salt/pepper than you think and suddenly they turn into the most delicious things!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I can't stress the point of seasoning your soups highly enough!

They need much more salt/pepper than you think and suddenly they turn into the most delicious things!

100% this, anytime Ive made bland soup and sat down to eat it suddenly after the first two spoonfuls its dawned on me that I completely forgot to season. And would agree that veg seems to need more salt and pepper that most other foods to bring out the flavours
    redlead wrote: »

I made that pea and chorizo recently and it was amazing. The colour might put people off but its very tasty. I blitzed the chorizo with the rest of the soup which worked very well. You get little bits of chorizo tastiness with every bite.

Sounds great, have never used chorizo in soup but will be giving that a go. Peas and chorizo are two things I always have in the freezer so it should be a keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

My kids love a simple chicken noodle soup. Onion and a diced chicken breast (or leftovers) in a bot of oil. Season with cajun or season all or chinese 5 spice, whatever, then add a little of chicken stock a good handful of sweetcorn and soup noodles - I get lovely thin, short ones in the eastern European section in the local Spar. Recently they haven't the noodles in stock so i threw in a packet of Mexican rice instead and seasoned with paprika and chilli, cumin,... it was really tasty.

Not the purest soups but when you want one that everyone will eat..

Other than that, pea and ham is lovely as is a basic veg soup (gougane barra hotel one is nice) or leek and potato.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

At the moment we're doing loads of foraging and the most readily available chard almost everywhere in the South is dandelion. As well as drying it out to preserve the flowers as a seasoning, and using the stems for tea, it's possible to make a really delicious dandelion soup.

You can use whatever greens you have to hand in the house or garden and sub in spring onions. In fact, the best thing about soups is that you can sub in all sorts of things. The original recipe I got this from used barley.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/weed-it-and-reap-a-soup-that-makes-the-most-of-abundant-spring-greens-1.4235136%3fmode=amp

This is the recipe for six servings

Ingredients
    Olive oil
    Bunch of parsley
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    2 sticks of celery, as above
    2l stock (from a cooked chicken is best)
    3 large potatoes
    80g frozen or garden peas
    300g whatever greens you have; pak choi, baby spinach, kale
    200g dandelion leaves, washed and finely chopped
    1 Parmesan rind, optional

Method
    1 Sauté the celery and onion in the oil until golden.
    2 Add garlic to the mix and when it's softened, pour in stock, cubed potato and Parmesan rind.
    3 Stir and bring to the boil. Lower heat and half cover the pan with the lid. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
    4 Add the shredded greens and simmer for about 10 minutes until all of the vegetables are cooked.

You can make a delicious sourdough from only three ingredients as well. We're learning the last few weeks that you can live efficiently with very little!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Some of the favourites here are,

Sweet potato and butternut squash,
    Carrot and coriander,
    Potato and leek,
    Veg soup,
    Carrot and ginger.

The basis of most soups are a good stock, potatoes, onion, garlic, herbs and seasoning.

A knob of butter after you blitz it is a game changer!
    I usually make a few types at a time, let them cool, and store them in zip lock bags in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/slow-cooker-tortellini-spinach-soup/

Only make this seldom as it’s not the healthiest soup :) I throw a whole bag of spinach in, use fresh pasta and sometimes I’ll sub the chicken for a spicy sausage or chicken sausages

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    I've usually been disappointed with any soup I've tried to make.

The two I can think of that I was happy with were a simple cream of tomato soup and pea and mint soup. They were both made with only five or do ingredients.

Pea and mint? Sounds nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For anyone who boils ham/bacon joints, pea and ham soup is a must!
    I throw an onion, carrot, bit of celery and leek in the pot when I'm cooking the meat - a bay leaf and bit of thyme, too.
    When you take out the meat, just add a packet of frozen peas and a few bits of ham and blitz.

Most probably won't need salt.

French onion

Can be a bit painstaking to make but my god is it worth it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

My soups are usually just what veg is left in the fridge, and need to be used.
    Yesterday, I had milk with a use by date of 9th May but still OK, and a pack of mushrooms, so it was mushroom soup.
    Just cooked off chopped mushrooms and an onion in some butter for around 5 minutes, added some flour, and after around 2 minutes or so, just added vegetable stock and milk. Simmered for around 20 minutes, and then blitzed before eating for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

I make the Chicken and veg soup a good bit using the Cully and Scully recipe. It's a firm favourite with the family. I usually treble or quadruple the recipe! Handy to have a few tubs of it in the freezer.

A good knob of butter
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 small leek, finely sliced
    1 stick celery, chopped
    2 medium potatoes, chopped
    2 medium carrots, chopped
    1-1 1/2 pints (500-750ml) of tasty chicken stock (I use Knorr Stock pots)
    1 cooked chicken breast or thigh and drumstick, shredded *Pickings left over from roast chicken are perfect!
    A good glug of cream
    A good pinch of salt and pepper

METHOD
    Melt the butter in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
    Sweat the onions, celery and leek until soft but not coloured.
    Add potato and carrot. Season with salt and pepper.
    Sweat for another five minutes or so, until the vegetables are beginning to soften, add the stock and simmer until veg are cooked through.
    Liquidise the soup, add the cream and chicken and then liquidise again, but not too much as it will make it go grainy.
    Pop back on the stove and heat through.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

Curry cauliflower soup by James Martin.

Potato leak and smoked bacon by mcnean house.

Both tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

This tomato and roast garlic soup by Donal Skehan is yum: https://donalskehan.com/recipes/roasted-tomato-and-garlic-soup/

It sounds like wayy too much garlic first reading the recipe, but the balsamic + roasting makes the garlic sweet. I used large ripe vine tomatoes. Perfect with crusty bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Roasted garlic and cauliflower! Wrap a whole head of garlic in tinfoil and back for a bit in hot oven then squeeze out garlic. You can do the garlic when doing something else and keep in freezer til needed... clip top of cloves beforehand to release some steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

I love this one, I like to throw a couple of chopped carrots in too
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-red-lentil-and-tomato-soup-435639

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

redlead wrote: »

I made this earlier today and it was really tasty, would never have thought that peas and chorizo would compliment each other but they marry very well. Frying down the chorizo extracts all their oils which flavour the soup really well. I doubled the quantities in the recipe to end up with four portions. I think it would also benefit from some shavings of parmesan on top so I'll be doing that for the next bowl.

Advertisement