Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Midleton Whiskey

• 06-05-2020 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine has a big birthday coming up and I was thinking of spending €100 or less on him, but just dawned on me i could get him a bottle of Midleton, just or the novelty.

Cheapest online seems to be €180, Don’t suppose there are any half bottles or the likes?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

No half bottles nah.

You'll get a Redbreast 15 or Bushmills 16 year old for that money and they'd both be great gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

irish_goat wrote: »
    No half bottles nah.

You'll get a Redbreast 15 or Bushmills 16 year old for that money and they'd both be great gifts.

Yeah thanks another two people actually recommended the Red Breast so I’ll probably go for that. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's always that subjective notion of "nice" whiskey. What I like, others might not.

I would echo what others have said in terms of Red Breast 15 (I'm currently staring at a bottle longingly right now), but I'd also be a big fan of the Spots - Greedspot/Yellowspot/Redspot.

If you want to go a little lower in price, while looking at a premium whiskey, I would also be a big fan of Yellowspot. It comes from the same distillery (Middleton), but is somewhat lighter and sweeter in many respects than Red Breast (and therefore easier on the palette for a novice whiskey drinker. But again, that is highly subjective). It is around €80.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It's always that subjective notion of "nice" whiskey. What I like, others might not.

I would echo what others have said in terms of Red Breast 15 (I'm currently staring at a bottle longingly right now), but I'd also be a big fan of the Spots - Greedspot/Yellowspot/Redspot.

If you want to go a little lower in price, while looking at a premium whiskey, I would also be a big fan of Yellowspot. It comes from the same distillery (Middleton), but is somewhat lighter and sweeter in many respects than Red Breast (and therefore easier on the palette for a novice whiskey drinker. But again, that is highly subjective). It is around €80.

It's funny, I'm a big fan of Green Spot, but if I never tasted Yellow Spot again I'd be quite happy. Haven't tried Red Spot yet, it's on the list though. That said, given the choice I'd be all over RedBreast 15 ahead of pretty much anything else.

Yeah the same man would appreciate a very good bottle of whiskey hence why I was aiming Midleton just as a “I wouldn’t buy myself” a bottle type present.

I’m hoping O Briens are open tomorrow they usually have a good selection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Powers John's Lane is under budget and is considered very good. I've bought a couple of bottles myself.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/powers-johns-lane-reserve%2012%20year%20old

Your budget won't extend to it but this is exceptional. Ironically I've only ever had it in the US.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Midleton-Barry-Crockett-Legacy-Single-Pot-Still-70cl?search=Barry%20Crockett

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Zaph wrote: »
    It's funny, I'm a big fan of Green Spot, but if I never tasted Yellow Spot again I'd be quite happy. Haven't tried Red Spot yet, it's on the list though. That said, given the choice I'd be all over RedBreast 15 ahead of pretty much anything else.

Slightly OT, but have you tried the two Greenspot limited editions? One is in Bordeaux casks, the other in Californian Zinfadel casks. The former is my favourite, very Oakey with a hint of sweetness from the wine, with the usual butterscotch and spice. Lovely. Then again, the latter isn't half bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Slightly OT, but have you tried the two Greenspot limited editions? One is in Bordeaux casks, the other in Californian Zinfadel casks. The former is my favourite, very Oakey with a hint of sweetness from the wine, with the usual butterscotch and spice. Lovely. Then again, the latter isn't half bad either.

Have tried the Bordeaux edition. Never tried anything like it, thought it was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Big fan of the method and madness range from midleton

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They sound interesting, must keep an eye out for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oddly enough a mate of mine brought over a bottle of the Bordeaux (Leoville Barton) and we both agreed that it wasn't worth the price premium; he was wavering towards preferring the "normal" Green Spot. Everyones tastes vary of course.

Mitchells is basically on his walking route from work to the train station (in normal times) and he goes in most paydays; so I'm expecting him to turn up with the other finish at some point too; Red Spot is probably a bit out of his impulse price range!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

n97 mini wrote: »

Your budget won't extend to it but this is exceptional. Ironically I've only ever had it in the US.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Midleton-Barry-Crockett-Legacy-Single-Pot-Still-70cl?search=Barry%20Crockett

I usually pick one up at Cork or Dublin airport when I go outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L-M wrote: »
    Yeah the same man would appreciate a very good bottle of whiskey hence why I was aiming Midleton just as a “I wouldn’t buy myself” a bottle type present.

I’m hoping O Briens are open tomorrow they usually have a good selection

An uncle gave me a bottle of Middleton for just that reason back in 2012; it’s sitting in the cupboard unopened! Does your friend like whiskey?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Marcusm wrote: »
    An uncle gave me a bottle of Middleton for just that reason back in 2012; it’s sitting in the cupboard unopened! Does your friend like whiskey?

I do. Send it to me. :pac:

My friend likes whiskey so much I asked 2 other of the lads If they wanted to go splits on a bottle and they had already bought him a present... of whiskey...

So I managed to convince them to return theirs an go splits. There was a right crowd queuing outside O Briens today, I know what it is to feel like queuing for the dole now LOL

Just as a side note they have a new range that comes from “Midleton”, starting off at 52, 60 odd and 82 euro. Can’t for the life of me remember the name.

Anyway, I dropped it outside his door and we’re having a Zoom call later where he’ll open it.

Delighted I went with it in the end, even for the novelty factor.

Edit: Just checked the O Briens Website for the whiskey from Midleton but it’s not there. Strange. I’m sure ye have heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thethinone

Just as a side note they have a new range that comes from “Midleton”, starting off at 52, 60 odd and 82 euro. Can’t for the life of me remember the name.

Method & Madness by any chance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"comes from Midleton" covers everything from Powers up to Jameson 18; Method and Madness is probably what they mean but its not Midleton branded.

Yeah that’s it sorry.

Yeah wasn’t Midleton branded but as he pointed to the bottom label on the rear it said “Midleton, Cork”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Maybe too late for OP, but Tesco is usually the least expensive for Midleton - it’s been €167 for a long time.

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251232796

Everywhere else always seems to be more expensive.

Ah thanks, got it yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

krissovo wrote: »
    I usually pick one up at Cork or Dublin airport when I go outside the EU.

I've been going to the US a couple of times a year for the last 4 years, and it never occurred to me to pick up a bottle in the duty free! Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

irish_goat wrote: »
    I do. Send it to me. :pac:

I've promised it to the 77 year old "boyfriend" of an aunt. He only gets it when he gets the all clear from his current course of chemotherapy. It's designed to encourage him to remain attentive to his health.

Advertisement