Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

whippet wrote: »
    in anticipation of spending a lot of my time in the garden this summer i'm looking at pulling the trigger on ordering a Weber Gensis II E-310 .. i've a Weber Kettle at the moment that has served me well - but i've only ever used it for the basics.

I've every intention on getting somewhat adventurous with out door cooking - as in not just grilling - is there any reason why I shouldn't look at the E-310 ?

I've no experience in Gas - always been charcoal but like the idea of instant turn on and more control.

Also - where would be best to order from Orchard, Abertium or Webber direct ?

*places cat amongst pigeons*

https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/ceramic-bbq-grill/products/classic-red-steel-cart-side-shelves

in anticipation of spending a lot of my time in the garden this summer

Given:
    a. you don't currently have a gas BBQ
    b. you want to get more adventurous
    c. you have time on your hands

Personally, (and this is someone with both a Gas and a ceramic BBQ and a Weber smoky going back some years)- you'd be mad not sticking with charcoal and get going with low and slow cooking using a good quality ceramic BBQ and good quality BBQ coals.

If the above doesn't suit your price bracket, I recommend the following:

https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/ceramic-bbq-grill/products/kamado-joe-junior

But if you're still intent on Gas- go with this unless you've a huge crowd to feed every weekend:

https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/gas-barbecue-grills/products/spirit-eo-210

Tell us more about what you want to do, how many you'll be cooking for, and we can provide the appropriate advice- but you said you're used to coals, and want to get more adventurous- personally, I wouldn't be recommending a gas BBQ on that basis alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Given:
    a. you don't currently have a gas BBQ
    b. you want to get more adventurous
    c. you have time on your hands

Tell us more about what you want to do, how many you'll be cooking for, and we can provide the appropriate advice- but you said you're used to coals, and want to get more adventurous- personally, I wouldn't be recommending a gas BBQ on that basis alone.

Cheers for taking the time to respond. I suppose the main reason I was looking for Gas was the ability to just turn it on and it being easy to regulate temps.

it will mainly be just for a family of four - occasionally some guests - not many.

I will be holding on to the Webber kettle bbq so this will still give me the option to go low and slow over coals.

I am now thinking that the Genisis was probably overkill - I have about €1000 to play with (it's a birthday present to myself) and that the Spirit 210 would be a good size and option - and then using the rest of the budget to get a few accessories and a decent side table / bench to prep food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Cheers for taking the time to respond. I suppose the main reason I was looking for Gas was the ability to just turn it on and it being easy to regulate temps.

it will mainly be just for a family of four - occasionally some guests - not many.

I will be holding on to the Webber kettle bbq so this will still give me the option to go low and slow over coals.

I am now thinking that the Genisis was probably overkill - I have about €1000 to play with (it's a birthday present to myself) and that the Spirit 210 would be a good size and option - and then using the rest of the budget to get a few accessories and a decent side table / bench to prep food etc.

I've seen the Broil king getting recommended here, build quality supposed to be excellent, and 3 burner for 520

https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/gas-barbecue-grills/products/bk-gem-340-with-side-burner

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭JimFin

Any views on the Master Cook Classic 400 4 Burner BBQ currently on offer for €239 in HomeStore?

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/gas-barbecue/master-cook-classic-400-4-burner-bbq/055914.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

JimFin wrote: »
    Any views on the Master Cook Classic 400 4 Burner BBQ currently on offer for €239 in HomeStore?

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/gas-barbecue/master-cook-classic-400-4-burner-bbq/055914.html

Looking at this myself. This is only review I can see.

https://grillingwizard.com/master-cook-classic-gas-grill-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We bought one of those about three years ago. It’s out all year with a good cover and still going strong.

No worries at all- the Weber 210 certainly will put you right for those needs - remember you’ll be buying a propane gas canister maybe a cast iron dish (very useful) and as you say some budget for a nice seating area too- you’re right gas is great for the instant no mess- in the middle of winter it’s great to be able to sear a few steaks in a matter of minutes - and of course you have your smoky still to explore - very best of luck whatever decision you make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

Absolutely fantastic to see this and the charcoal forum so busy, something good coming out of all of this ****e !

Ireland the BBQ capitol of Europe come 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Went to place my order...out of stock :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

glic83 wrote: »
    I've seen the Broil king getting recommended here, build quality supposed to be excellent, and 3 burner for 520

https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/gas-barbecue-grills/products/bk-gem-340-with-side-burner

I'd get this over the two burner weber as well. Way more bang for your buck and its much better built. Spend the change on your accessories then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

No worries at all- the Weber 210 certainly will put you right for those needs - remember you’ll be buying a propane gas canister maybe a cast iron dish (very useful) and as you say some budget for a nice seating area too- you’re right gas is great for the instant no mess- in the middle of winter it’s great to be able to sear a few steaks in a matter of minutes - and of course you have your smoky still to explore - very best of luck whatever decision you make

I might stretch to the Spirit II e-320.

The cast iron dish is a must have for me - to do fish, eggs etc. The pizza stone would be useful for the kids.

I redesigned my kitchen last year and have sliding doors now right out on to the patio so winter cooking outside would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

Anyone use their own wood for smoking on Gas BBQ?
    Cut down a few crab apple trees a few months back,and from what I can find online its the same wood on all apple trees,with fruit trees supposed to be one of the better ones for smoking,so thinking of giving it a try once the wood seasons a bit longer.
    Anyone try this already?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Took delivery of my Weber this morning. Assembled there and noticed regulator is propane. Last gas bbq was butane so had some of that left over.
    I did keep the old butane regulator but I don't really want to go messing with sealed hose to try and save a few quid. My best option to just get propane gas? Is there any difference to be aware of when asking?

**Quick search of thread seems I need propane alright. Hopefully standard type when I head over to get some

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I'm only reading this thread for the first time so I'm on catch up.

Another place in Dublin that sells Weber is Jones Garden Centre, Donabate. Their website isn't great - get them on FB or over the phone.

I bought a Spirit E-310 there a few weeks ago for €599 with a free cover. I'm not sure if they've any in stock now. I was given free delivery but I'm fairly local to them - I don't know what they'd charge otherwise.

So far so good with it. It's a lot hotter than our previous HS&M one that died a couple of months ago. I found when you filled the grill on that one it stewed the food rather than BBQ'd it if you get me.

A BBQ is used all year around in this house so I'm glad now we invested in a Weber.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭hero25

came across this. Looks to be a good offer including the accessroies: https://www.fernhill.ie/product/234/genesis-ii-e-310-black#delivery-link & nationwide delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hero25 wrote: »
    came across this. Looks to be a good offer including the accessroies: https://www.fernhill.ie/product/234/genesis-ii-e-310-black#delivery-link & nationwide delivery

thats a weber deal, so buy it anywhere and you get that, only til 15 may i think

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

heldel00 wrote: »
    ....... so I'm sure you'll have yours much quicker. Enjoy

I just took delivery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Frank11 wrote: »
    I just took delivery :)

Not even despatched yet. Raging because tomorrow is giving for a scorcher!
    Enjoy

dendof wrote: »
    Took delivery of my Weber this morning. Assembled there and noticed regulator is propane. Last gas bbq was butane so had some of that left over.
    I did keep the old butane regulator but I don't really want to go messing with sealed hose to try and save a few quid. My best option to just get propane gas? Is there any difference to be aware of when asking?

**Quick search of thread seems I need propane alright. Hopefully standard type when I head over to get some

Went and got propane for BBQ. Told just the one type. Came home and of course it doesn't fit. So I was either given the wrong one, or it's me asking for the wrong one.
    Does anyone know what the correct one to get is, or am I missing something obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Does anyone know what the correct one to get is, or am I missing something obvious?
    I use the Flogas patio gas which is propane - it's in a light yellow/dark cream bottle. It fitted straight away. I got it in my local Centra.

Cheers. So I guess there's different types of propane bottles then. Looked at patio gas cylinder online there and that looks to be it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Cheers. So I guess there's different types of propane bottles then. Looked at patio gas cylinder online there and that looks to be it alright

Yes, it's patio gas bottle that you need

You won't regret spending the extra and getting the genisis, i had a spirit 210, it was a excellent bbq but no comparison to my current genisis s330. The lid on the genisis is twice the weight and holds the heat much nicer. side burner is handy as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah you need patio gas, it’s in I think they grey for calor or an off cream for flo gas I think

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah you need patio gas, it’s in I think they grey for calor or an off cream for flo gas I think

Yip, up and running now. Now to decide what to cook first on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

There won't be an oven in the house used this weekend judging by all the BBQs being ordered :D.
    I took delivery of the Weber EO 210 today, couldn't resist after Plenty posted that link. Very nice company to deal with and fast delivery. It's probably too small for all you hard core BBQers but it ideal for what we need. Easy enough to assemble, the instructions were very good.
    It came with the free cast iron grates, should I use those all the time instead of the lighter enamel ones ? I've looked for videos on how to use them but can't find anything. Any advice much appreciated

Cast iron ones are much better to use and way easier to keep clean

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

In regards to the wood chips for the smokers.

Are you supposed to replace the chips after each use or is it a case of the longer they're used the better the smoke?

Complete novice but wouldn't mind giving it a go.

• Advertisement

AEH1984 wrote: »
    In regards to the wood chips for the smokers.

Are you supposed to replace the chips after each use or is it a case of the longer they're used the better the smoke?

Complete novice but wouldn't mind giving it a go.

They will turn to ash after a long use.

Advertisement