Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert to be cancelled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I found it odd that they seemed so adamant that it would go ahead in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Teachers unions should be flailed for not allowing continuous assessment go ahead a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

Predicted grades from teachers, sorry but that sounds like a recipe for disaster. My son just did his college exams online. How could that be worse than predictive grades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I don’t see how predictive grades will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

There will be pandemonium if loads want to repeat next year if schools don’t have capacity to accept all. Disaster all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Wonder what they will do to award points for 3rd level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I dont see why it can't go ahead

Loads of factories are open and working fine with social distancing

Open all classrooms in a school. 5 students per room with 1 teacher. Staggered arrival and leaving times

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

I don’t see how predictive grades will work.

Especially when the mock exams were widely shared online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

pretty much a done deal now, according to RTE News. students to be given predicted grades from teachers, based on their work throughout the year

www.irishtimes.com/news/education/leaving-cert-exams-set-to-be-cancelled-and-replaced-with-predicted-grades-1.4247877?

"Students who are unhappy with their awarded grades will likely be given the option of sitting written exams at a much later date, possibly early next year."

can see problems with this down the line, but could it have gone ahead in reality?

If we were a nation with balls it could have gone ahead. A poor reflection on the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Open all classrooms in a school. 5 students per room with 1 teacher. Staggered arrival and leaving times

I was thinking the same. How is that not workable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Crazy plan.

6 years of being geared towards preforming an exam on the day to be replaced by the opinion of a teacher overnight.

The reason your exam is corrected by someone who doesn’t know you personally is so your personal relationships with teachers is not a factor.

If I was a leaving cert student right now I’d be failing 3/7 of my exams If my teachers opinions were what to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

walshb wrote: »
    I found it odd that they seemed so adamant that it would go ahead in the first place!

thought it was possible myself, delayed a month or so, but it should have been possible to sort it out.

wonder what'll happen with the CAO and uni's starting back, it'll hardly be back to a normal academic year starting september

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Coz Leo is down with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

If the roadmap for re-opening is in anyway achievable, there is no reason to cancel the exams.

This is a terrible decision, and I’m amazed teachers have gone for this. Grading your own students won’t end well. They will be accused of either doing someone down, or looking after their ‘pets’ and most likely both!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

And when August comes, we’ll all be back to normal except that we’ve destroyed the hopes of the most hard working students. And set them an example of fear and hysteria. I can’t even write here what I think about this decision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

When I heard of this the first thing that came to mind was

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_college_admissions_bribery_scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Multipass wrote: »
    And when August comes, we’ll all be back to normal except that we’ve destroyed the hopes of the most hard working students. And set them an example of fear and hysteria. I can’t even write here what I think about this decision.

We're pandering to the weakest. We're letting down the best and brightest. There are students out there who are champing at the bit to get their exams done and move on to the next stage of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same. How is that not workable?

I think maybe it's not about the safety of the exams but that there is no way to measure if all children got more or less the same opportunity to engage as their peers the way they would if they were in school every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think maybe it's not about the safety of the exams but that there is no way to measure if all children got more or less the same opportunity to engage as their peers the way they would if they were in school every day.

When it comes to the CAO you are measured against your year not historic years, so in my opinion this should not be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

Seems like a pretty silly move on the part of the government. The leaving cert is a right of passage if nothing else and is a big achievement for students.
    Teachers are leaving themselves open to so much abuse here. The parents knowing where to direct their anger if little Johnny doesn’t get into his first choice seems ludicrous. Also for students who wish to sit the exams telling them sometime next year maybe just won’t do? The students who wish to sit the exam should have the opportunity to do so on July 29th and be ready for cao offers for September, why should they have to delay a year of their lives. Would not like to be in 5th year now. Plus the leaving cert class of 2020 will forever have a stigma attached to them. Bad decision made by a government afraid of the social media warriors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Get out of here with your logic and sensible suggestions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This is very open to corruption.
    Terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I did pretty poor in most of my exams throughout 6th year, I even failed a few of my pres iirc.
    The pres are meant to be a kick up the hole to those who are coasting. I put my head down after the shock I got from the results of mine, put in a solid few months of work and study and did a better than average leaving cert.

I would have undoubtedly failed my whole leaving cert if it had gone off predicted grades based on the work done up till February of my leaving cert year. Many others are now going to be in the same boat.
    This is extremely unfair on these kids and I can’t believe it’s happening.
    As well as that, anyone who has a teacher who doesn’t like them is f*cked. It’s just inconceivable that they can’t come up with a better solution than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,200 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think cancelling and offering predicted grades is sensible.
    The schools will have lots of info to go off from past results to project work to mocks.
    A fair grade can surely be arrived at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Can't see why a teacher would give a student they are teaching a poor mark when it reflects directly on their teaching ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭Sarn

There’s no way they’ll be able to have predictive grades ready for the autumn. That would require a lot of buy in and effort from the teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

Look, it's not just about the exams themselves, it's about the fact that they aren't equatable to the exams done last year, given that they've missed a whole term at this point. Every opposition party is in favor of cancelling it, 79% of surveyed students are in favor of cancelling it, the teachers unions are in favor of cancelling it and every other country in Europe has cancelled it. The grades are going to be given by the bell curve anyway, in theory there shouldn't be much deviation from previous years. Consider for a moment that maybe random people complaining online do not know as much as all the stakeholders present. The students voted for this and will reap what they have sown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It’s completely unfair - some of my sons teachers will give accurate predictions, others absolutely won’t. Why doesn’t the government just do a f@#xing lottery for college places, hell they could even charge for the tickets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

bluefinger wrote: »
    Can't see why a teacher would give a student they are teaching a poor mark when it reflects directly on their teaching ability.

They'll have to rank the class and use a bell curve. Will only be able to give a certain amount of each grade, so they will have to give some poor marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

For all its faults it is as fair a system that exists where the doctors child and the dole scroungers child face the exact same set of questions.
    Of course there are differences in environment for study or access to grinds etc but predictive grades are farcical.

It's already happening ( yes , since this morning) where contact is being made with teachers hinting at what grades they should get 🙄

Schools will only need to accommodate 20% of the students . Relatively easy to space out and restart schools in the next two weeks for leaving certs to balance the opportunity giving 9-10 weeks of school time to students.

Lack of real leadership from McHugh.

Advertisement