Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Menlo old building

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh I read something about this, I'm searching my brain. Feel like iodine is in the answer.. I'll go try find out.

http://ie.geoview.info/iodine_factory,1730420763n

I know I saw a small article but may have been anywhere I'll think some more

From this PDF (page 2)...

"...Our route up river takes us under the Quincentennial Bridge past the ruins of The Iodine. The bridge was built in the mid-1980’s to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Galway and is the bane of sailors who cannot get their masts under the bridge. The actual Iodine Factory was on Long Walk. It consisted of various sheds, floored with perforated flagstones, and with large tanks underneath. Raw seaweed was stored in the sheds, and as it decomposed, liquid matter flowed into the tanks. This was then distilled into something like charcoal from which a number of substances were extracted, including iodine. The decomposed seaweed was then taken by barge up the canal and river to an auxiliary factory at Terryland, where it was rendered into fertiliser. People living close to the Long Walk constantly complained about emissions from the plant, which they regarded as poisonous, so the company erected a depot on the Aran Islands instead. By 1876 the seaweed business had finished, but the ruins at Terryland have been known to generations of oarsmen going up and down the Corrib simply as 'The Iodine'."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looking at the area with the various filters on maps.geohive.ie, all I can see listed there is a mooring point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Thanks . I found this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKMVwgjmuc

How long did the factory operate ? Looks like its in ruins 50 years plus ??
    Wonder is it accessible to walk to it ?

Amazing what you spot these days out walking or running around that you never had the time to previously...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

youngrun wrote: »
    Thanks . I found this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKMVwgjmuc

How long did the factory operate ? Looks like its in ruins 50 years plus ??
    Wonder is it accessible to walk to it ?

Amazing what you spot these days out walking or running around that you never had the time to previously...

its amazing too what you can learn at home sitting on your ass brosing the interweb

• Advertisement

Might even learn how to do some "ass brosing" ... :)

(I typo all the time. A particular favourite is typing 'doe snot' instead of 'does not')

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nickyb2020

Got up there today easy access from Dyke rd not a lot to see other that 1 big wall and a lot of overgrown stonework nice spot on the Corribs edge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Advertisement