Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newbie - Want to start Gaming

• 02-05-2020 5:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have never owned an Xbox or PS4 before but I would like to start gaming. I played Quake on a desktop computer 20+ years ago and loved it. I have 2 girls (13 & 11) who have never showed an interest in playing computer games but now might be a good time to buy something. Perhaps I can start on the laptop using some gaming websites (not a clue what they might be).

What do you recommend for a complete newbie? Buy a new console or buy one second hand or try online gaming?

I think I would prefer shoot-em-up games rather than FIFA or Minecraft or similar.

Comments

you could start with these games that run well on low-end laptops

download steam onto your laptop and you can buy games from there

"humble bundles" do good deals on on games - check if the games can run on integrated graphics.

if you are interested in playing some games with your daughters then the Nintendo Switch could be a good option

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Try stadia, you can play Destiny 2 for free for two months

https://stadia.google.com

It's all streaming so you don't need a gaming computer

A good shooter game is "Half-Life 2". that will run on your laptop assuming it's at least an intel core-i3 cpu or equivalent with 4gb + ram

try 720p resolutions

"The Orange Box" collection probably offers the best value at 16 euro

https://store.steampowered.com/app/220/HalfLife_2/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

You're too old now OP, best stick with model trains.

Xbox and a game pass subscription is all you need to get started. You can try out different games and find a genre that you like.

Xbox One X is going fairly cheap nowadays and Xbox have committed to supporting next gen games on it for the first year. Actually they are going to support all the Xboxes so you could go for a cheaper Xbox One S digital edition. But if you can afford it go for the One X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi,

I have never owned an Xbox or PS4 before but I would like to start gaming. I played Quake on a desktop computer 20+ years ago and loved it. I have 2 girls (13 & 11) who have never showed an interest in playing computer games but now might be a good time to buy something. Perhaps I can start on the laptop using some gaming websites (not a clue what they might be).

What do you recommend for a complete newbie? Buy a new console or buy one second hand or try online gaming?

I think I would prefer shoot-em-up games rather than FIFA or Minecraft or similar.

Borrow one. It is likely that you have a friend or two that have a console sitting around there house and use it every now and again. If you borrowed it for a month, they probably won't care overly much. If you can't borrow one buy a second hand one from adverts.

In short, don't spend any money unless you have too. Honestly, it is highly likely that you will get bored of it within a couple of days\weeks and leave it then to gather dust...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Xbox and a game pass subscription is all you need to get started. You can try out different games and find a genre that you like.

Xbox One X is going fairly cheap nowadays and Xbox have committed to supporting next gen games on it for the first year. Actually they are going to support all the Xboxes so you could go for a cheaper Xbox One S digital edition. But if you can afford it go for the One X.

Thanks, I might just splurge out on a new Xbox. Would it be best to buy from Gamestop or from the Xbox site?

Newbie question but do I have to download the games using the game pass subscription you mentioned?

This looks a good offer?
    https://www.gamestop.ie/Xbox%20One/Games/73789/xbox-one-s-1tb-console-and-star-wars-jedi-fallen-order

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Personally, I'd try and avoid Gamestop if you can. They're gouging assholes from start to finish, and they're also in a fairly bad way financially at the moment - it appears - so if there are any problems you might be in trouble as regards refunds or whatever. Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

i would buy This ( cant imagine you would care if games on disc or not due to entry to market)

go to cd keys 12 months of live for around 40 then upgrade to game pass.

so for around 260 you have a brand new xbox and a years worth of games. Red dead redemption 2 just went live on gamepass so youll be set

with gamepass you download games to the console yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

recyclops wrote: »
    i would buy This ( cant imagine you would care if games on disc or not due to entry to market)

That looks a decent offer. I presume you recommend going for the 'New' ones only. I have never bought from Amazon Germany. How do I ensure it will have an UKI plug?
    recyclops wrote: »
    go to cd keys 12 months of live for around 40 then upgrade to game pass.

What is cd keys?

• Advertisement

That looks a decent offer. I presume you recommend going for the 'New' ones only. I have never bought from Amazon Germany. How do I ensure it will have an UKI plug?

What is cd keys?

Yeah I would recommend new only, your right on adapter so you could use a travel adapter, I used an old ps2 adapter myself. It looked like thishttps://m.ebay.ie/itm/Replacement-Xbox-One-S-and-Xbox-X-Power-Adapter-Charger-Plug-Lead-Mains-Wire/114078600380?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/5282-53468-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575403800&toolid=10001&campid=5338359784&customid=114078600380_2&ipn=psmain&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=114078600380&icep_vectorid=229543&srcrot=5282-53468-19255-0&rvr_id=2413662847595&rvr_ts=f1597ae21710ad3925c2cb8effc12df4&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=88005335-2eda-4442-a305-38412ca394da

Cdkeys is a site you can buy xbox live codes etc just marginally cheaper than from Microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Am in same boat as op,

Have a laptop and playing simulation games on it

Have GeForce now also but limited games but has got me interested in purchasing a console .

Xbox seems the cheaper option from the console itself and dd keys for games

I don't want to spend too much on something I don't plan on using much

So anything to know that should put me off choosing Xbox over PS4 given my needs

(I'm conscience of this not becoming a which is a better condole, its more which is better for my needs )

ps4 has better exclusive games than xbox

check them out and see if that would be a factor

God of War, Last of Us (1 and upcoming 2), Uncharted, Bloodbourne, Persona etc

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-ps4-exclusives/2/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Worth noting that the next gen of consoles will be out before xmas so you will likely get about 1 year of support on the current gen before they are dropped by publishers and the platform holder.

Still if you want to catch up on the back catalogue, I suppose the XBOX One S can be got for around 100 euro if you aren't interested in Playstation exclusives (there's not as much as people make out).

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Where you I be able to pick one up for around €100, I assume second hand?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sales really. All ditigal versions have been rock bottom but sell quickly.

with the market as it is at the moment it seems harder to find that cheap, but i would agree with sentiments on ps exclusives and how much of a sales pitch it is, i feel for it and bought one never gets played

xbox with gamepass is the future of entry level gaming on consoles and the fact digital libraries are carrying on the series x is a massive bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Playstation does have Playsation Now - while it isn't as good as Xbox Gamepass is improving as a service - and it has exclusives like Spiderman, The Last of Us, Tearaway Unfolded, the Gravity Rush games and Bloodborne on it. Also, the base PS4 would seem to perform that little bit better than the base Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd hold off on a console until post next gens are both out, they'll likely drop at a little over what youd pay for a current gen right now but will be far more powerful and you'll have an infinitely longer lifespan with them.

PS or XB is going to be down to you, personally I've always been with PS and seeing as they're now doing backwards compatibility it's a no brainer for me.

With PS you get 2 free games a month that you can download, usually the get some really decent titles, that's separate from the streaming service.

I'd definitely knock some fun out of Stadia for the time being, Destiny 2 is my favourite game (controversial) and it's also free to play the basic game on PS, seeing as cross save between platforms is enabled it makes sense to sink some hours into.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Get yourself a ps4 and enjoy a catalog of exclusive titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

2nd hand games will be easier to get for PS4 as it has sold 120m as opposed to xbox with 50m

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thhosed

I would recommend to play Borderlands series. My favourite of all time.

Advertisement