Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Farm Eggs? Delivery??

• 06-05-2020 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know who in the city delivers farm fresh eggs???

Id rather get directly from source.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

shortage apparently due to avian flu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    shortage apparently due to avian flu

Yeah heard about that, but surely its an ideal time for milk bread and egg to door deliveries increase??

Yeah heard about that, but surely its an ideal time for milk bread and egg to door deliveries increase??

ideal time for deliveries in general, but id say suppliers of eggs are struggling to get them to market

ideal time for deliveries in general, but id say suppliers of eggs are struggling to get them to market

Funny how times have chnaged.

Back in the day we used to have bread delivered every morning

Milk delivered every morning you could have butter or orange juice on that order.

We had an egg man and fruit and veg man although the egg man and fruit and veg man was same person:D:D:D

We also had coal and logs delivered and the news paper

be gorrah they were good times

Milk delivered every morning you could have butter or orange juice on that order.

We had an egg man and fruit and veg man although the egg man and fruit and veg man was same person:D:D:D

we still get the milk delivered, a relative use to be our bread man, was fairly well known around the town for it, different times alright

• Advertisement

we still get the milk delivered, a relative use to be our bread man, was fairly well known around the town for it, different times alright

I wonder would people like to have their milk delivered i never got anyone knocking on my door seeing did i want to sign up for delivery??

Are there any licencing terms for people to deliver milk on a route?? or can any joe soap do it??

I remember back in the day in Dublin ye had to buy the round

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Them services are riddled in red tape.it would cost you an arm and a leg to register for that and you would have fcukers over every day clicking biros and completing meaningless inspection after inspection.
    If any fcuker got a dose of the wild sh1tes then after eating an egg they would probably sue you.
    You should keep a jog of hens for yourself but I wouldn’t bother with supplying anyone else.
    When you would have it all on paper you would probably make sweet nothing

Had you ever a benny bunny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

John Quinlan is delivering eggs, flour and toilet roll and other items, he's advertising on Deise Buy and Sell.

I know people who get eggs from him and they recommend him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

mymilkman.ie ours brings eggs, milk, bread and juice three times a week to us and we have had no issue with egg supply.

The eggs aren't local local but are from a farm based in Drogheda.

All paid for online, very simple to use and will locate your nearest milkman based on your address think there's a mymilkman app but I just do it online.

• Advertisement

Them services are riddled in red tape.it would cost you an arm and a leg to register for that and you would have fcukers over every day clicking biros and completing meaningless inspection after inspection.
    If any fcuker got a dose of the wild sh1tes then after eating an egg they would probably sue you.
    You should keep a jog of hens for yourself but I wouldn’t bother with supplying anyone else.
    When you would have it all on paper you would probably make sweet nothing

Id say my neighbours would go bananas with Hens in my back garden!! Id love to have some

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Id say my neighbours would go bananas with Hens in my back garden!! Id love to have some

Hens don't make much noise - and for every one they lay you won't be needing to buy a commercial product that probably came from a battery setup.

As far as the nostalgia goes, I remember growing up in walking distance to the local shop before it was squeezed out by the supermarkets. I think there is a real desire to see them return in many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've got hens in my back garden and I'm in the city. They're easy keep and are quieter than dogs. The odd one might cluck after laying an egg or if they feel threatened. The ones I have at the moment are rescue hens that I got nearly 2 years ago and they're still laying.

The only problem with keeping hens is they draw in rats.
    Anywhere there was ever a hen there was rats.
    Also the old saying rings true.
    “Every hen dies in debt”

The only problem with keeping hens is they draw in rats.
    Anywhere there was ever a hen there was rats.
    Also the old saying rings true.
    “Every hen dies in debt”

I think this refers to the fact that they lay less as they get older. A hybrid will lay about 320 eggs a year. If you wanted the cheapest eggs you could possibly buy you wouldn't be considering this option.

Rats aren't inevitable, but like anything else in your garden that's a risk like a compost heap or bird feeders you have to be mindful of rats if you leave stuff out that'll draw them in.

Locking food in metal bins, or a Steel Tec shed, securing your coop properly etc will lower your risk. I have dogs too which puts rats off, neighbourhood cats will also keep vermin levels low.

We've a load of foxes in the area which kill rats and chickens - all part of nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

hardybuck wrote: »
    Hens don't make much noise

The three alarm clocks in our back garden would disagree with you.

Adyx wrote: »
    The three alarm clocks in our back garden would disagree with you.

Is this when they lay eggs once a day between about 9-12?

Or have they a rooster in there?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Is this when they lay eggs once a day between about 9-12?

Or have they a rooster in there?

One of them can be noisy as early as 8, but yeah it's mostly at those times. No rooster. They also get noisy (and the neighbour's dog) whenever an inquisitive cat comes along but they're well protected.

Totally worth it for the eggs of course.

One of them can be noisy as early as 8, but yeah it's mostly at those times. No rooster. They also get noisy (and the neighbour's dog) whenever an inquisitive cat comes along but they're well protected.

Totally worth it for the eggs of course.

Have they a mess made of the garden digging and rooting

Have they a mess made of the garden digging and rooting

Most of the grass area is fenced off because they were destroying it. The coop is on a paved patio and when they're out that's what they stick to.

• Advertisement

Most of the grass area is fenced off because they were destroying it. The coop is on a paved patio and when they're out that's what they stick to.

We have the same problem.they destroy lawns and flower beds and if you fence them in on grass they turn it into a bare muddy swamp.
    They’re never worth the hassle

We have the same problem.they destroy lawns and flower beds and if you fence them in on grass they turn it into a bare muddy swamp.

The hens and the house are my housemate's so I'm not too bothered. :D

You could consider rotating the area where you let them graze, or throwing a bit of straw or sawdust down.

Advertisement