Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

• 05-05-2020 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.24.20075838v1

It would be ridiculous to suggest that Vitamin D cures COVID-19. But it does appear that people who get it and have Vitamin D deficiency are much more likely to have a severe case. People who ended up in the ICU were more likely to have Vitamin D deficiency than the less severe cases, and all of the patients under 75 years of age who had to go to ICU were Vitamin D deficient
    The VDI prevalence in ICU patients was 84.6%, vs. 57.1% in floor patients. Strikingly, 100% of ICU patients less than 75 years old had VDI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I was reading before all this that people being so scared of skin cancer has left most people vitamin d deficient and its leading to an increase in many other types of cancer and illnesses. Its possible to take precautions against sun damage without going completely OTT on covering up like is encouraged these days. Obviously skin cancer is bad and should be avoided but there is a balance. Supplements are not the same as sun exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I was reading before all this that people being so scared of skin cancer has left most people vitamin d deficient and its leading to an increase in many other types of cancer and illnesses. Its possible to take precautions against sun damage without going completely OTT on covering up like is encouraged these days.

Absolutely. I sat in 12 degrees of sunshine today with no cream on. It was 5pm and way past any chance of burning in 12 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not peer reviewed and how many patients did they test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Absolutely. I sat in 12 degrees of sunshine today with no cream on. It was 5pm and way past any chance of burning in 12 degrees

exactly. I do live in a hot desert climate but make sure to get outside in the morning or evening without sunscreen and don't bother putting any on at all until around this time of year when the UV index goes way up. Same for my daughter. It can't be good for kids to grow and be healthy without ever having sufficient vitamin d levels. When I first moved here I was deficient and was advised by doctor that even just 15 mins in the shade every morning is great.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Not peer reviewed and how many patients did they test?

Another one here. 780 cases studied https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3585561#.XqWfqZvYqW0.twitter

I know John Campbell has mixed reactions on here but he's been an advocate of Vitamin D helping since day one

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

We're not long out of winter here, how long will it take to build a store of vitamin D?

We're not long out of winter here, how long will it take to build a store of vitamin D?

Get yourself a good Vitamin D supplement. I've been taking mine now about 5 weeks and getting as much post 3pm sun as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

your body wont make Vit D from 5pm Sun, the Sun needs to be above 50 degrees so this time of the year roughly 12pm to 2pm

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Vitamin D tablets will sell well

Hard to knw do Multi vitamins and all that work fully

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Vitamin D tablets will sell well

Hard to know do Multi vitamins and all that work fully

Vitamin D foods, sun and Vitamin D supplements, in that order of importance

A quick Google
    Foods that provide vitamin D include:
    • Fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon.
    • Foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals.
    • Beef liver.
    • Cheese.
    • Egg yolks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Got my bloods done a few years back and my Vit D level was at 27(?) or something, so was quite low. Started taking a high strength supplement. My doc recommended one high in D3. My levels are back to normal. Noticed soon after I started taking it that I felt less groggy and my immune system was better.

My girlfriends dad has been taking a spoon of cod liver oil a day for the last 30 odd years after he got bad pneumonia. Hasn't had the flu since.

Got my bloods done a few years back and my Vit D level was at 27(?) or something, so was quite low. Started taking a high strength supplement. The levels are back to normal. Noticed soon after I started taking it that I felt less groggy and my immune system was better.

My girlfriends dad has been taking a spoon of cod liver oil a day for the last 30 odd years after he got bad pneumonia. Hasn't had the flu since.

Hi

Two questions for ya:
    • Which brand of high strength supplement and what dosage?
    • Is Vitamin D in Cod Liver Oil in good amounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

This is what I'm taking ATM:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-Maximum-Strength-Supplement-Softgels/dp/B072L235Z5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2AQSFZTLAM1ZU&dchild=1&keywords=high+strength+vitamin+d&qid=1588719370&sprefix=high+strength+vitamin%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-5

re cod liver oil, according to my doctor it does indeed. I'd have also have fatty fish for dinner at least once a week. Other vitamins are needed to unlock the benefits of Vitamin D, such as a balance of Vitamin C.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I've been saying this for weeks.

This is why it's so important that the elderly get out in the sun (in a safe way).

It's also an argument against the police breaking up people out sunbathing in parks.

It also shows the mistake of the Italian and Spanish lock downs which forced people to stay indoors (especially since they are countries in which very few people have gardens).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So fat people who have bad diets are at a greater risk who'd have thunk it (subject to peer review)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Probably just an unhealthy user bias. The patients are old/have health problems that probably mean they produce less vitamin d, are outdoors less etc..Though I believe there is a link between immunity and vitamin d levels so there might be something there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Absorbtion is the issue. There are 2 carrier oils used. One might not suit.
    Found that with my wife.

We take 10000 iu during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,335 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Get yourself a good Vitamin D supplement. I've been taking mine now about 5 weeks and getting as much post 3pm sun as possible

What's the best and strongest?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What's the best and strongest?

These are the ones I ordered a few weeks back, it was a brand I knew and at a good price https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/vitabiotics-ultra-vitamin-d-1000-iu-optimum-level-96-tablets-60017810

The higher strength ones were sold out at the time

These were linked in this thread and if I order again it'll be probably be these. They're 4 times stronger than my current ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-Maximum-Strength-Supplement-Softgels/dp/B072L235Z5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2AQSFZTLAM1ZU&dchild=1&keywords=high+strength+vitamin+d&qid=1588719370&sprefix=high+strength+vitamin,aps,130&sr=8-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Will that work quickly though?

If a blood test shows very low vitamin D levels, doctors give a crazy amount to get them to normal levels, remember reading they give you 400,000 IU vitamin D weekly for a few months and then drop it down to 800 IU a day after that period.

Supplements you buy online are like max 10,0000 IU, be eating them like skittles to get that level.

I take Vit D supplement everyday as well btw, never had a blood test though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Another one here. 780 cases studied https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3585561#.XqWfqZvYqW0.twitter

I know John Campbell has mixed reactions on here but he's been an advocate of Vitamin D helping since day one

He has mixed reaction on here:confused:

very strange. He has probably helped saved lives with his information

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Will that work quickly though?

If a blood test shows very low vitamin D levels, doctors give a crazy amount to get them to normal levels, remember reading they give you 400,000 IU vitamin D weekly for a few months

Are these the same strength? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-Maximum-Strength-Supplement-Softgels/dp/B072L235Z5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2AQSFZTLAM1ZU&dchild=1&keywords=high+strength+vitamin+d&qid=1588719370&sprefix=high+strength+vitamin,aps,130&sr=8-5

Anyone supplementing with vitamin D should also take magnesium. Magnesium helps with vitamin D absorption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Anyone supplementing with vitamin D should also take magnesium. Magnesium helps with vitamin D absorption.

Didn't know that

Alot of people say K2 as well and take after a good meal

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

MD1990 wrote: »
    He has mixed reaction on here:confused:

very strange. He has probably helped saved lives with his information
    I think it is probably more due to the fact he is a Dr in a very different and not really related area to the things he sometimes talks about.....
    I would personally take what he says with a pinch of salt (but not too much as it can be bad for you)

What exactly is he a doctor in? Something related to nursing?

But he is 100% not an MD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Just rip off yer tops when it is sunny outside. It should be made mandatory for all the pensioners to rip off their tops if it is sunny on their walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Typical. I had a blood analysis a two months ago (nothing to do with C19) and was found to have virtually no Vit D.

Had to start taking 4000iu of Vit D everyday. Now of course it is linked with better C19 survival rates so now I can't get any Vit D in the shops. Had to order online and restricted to one pack per person.

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Didn't know that

Alot of people say K2 as well and take after a good meal

I'm afraid to take vitamin k because vitamin k helps the blood to clot (ok if you cut yourself with a knife)... But clotting in the blood can happen with this Covid-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gmisk wrote: »
    I think it is probably more due to the fact he is a Dr in a very different and not really related area to the things he sometimes talks about.....
    I would personally take what he says with a pinch of salt (but not too much as it can be bad for you)

What exactly is he a doctor in? Something related to nursing?

But he is 100% not an MD
    He has a Ph.D. in some form of nursing.

Advertisement