Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Can I ask how long after your GP appointments you got your scan dates? I saw my GP almost 2 weeks ago and no news yet.

I got mine one week later, but I had already called the hospital to check myself in. If you didn't do that you'll be longer, as the GP had to send a referral letter to the hospital, that then has to be processed and then they write out with your appointment. Plus the post all seems to be delayed lately with the quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maisie_moo

Can I ask how long after your GP appointments you got your scan dates? I saw my GP almost 2 weeks ago and no news yet.

Private letter came 6days after I went to GP
    Public letter came 12days after I went to GP
    That's for CUMH.
    My GP told me to get back to her if I didnt hear anything in 14days.
    I'm 90% going public...however I went for the complimentary early scan in the private clinic as it was going. Sur of course you can't get up to anything and met a girl I knew in the waiting room. She is at her due date. Was chatting away to her. She was like "Don't worry I won't say anything!"
    Anyway, the sonographer told me I wasn't making the pregnancy up and there was defo a baby inside there. All was regular and saw the little heartbeat flutter away. Got three pictures of a blob! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Becks0603

maisie_moo wrote: »
    Private letter came 6days after I went to GP
    Public letter came 12days after I went to GP
    That's for CUMH.
    My GP told me to get back to her if I didnt hear anything in 14days.
    I'm 90% going public...however I went for the complimentary early scan in the private clinic as it was going. Sur of course you can't get up to anything and met a girl I knew in the waiting room. She is at her due date. Was chatting away to her. She was like "Don't worry I won't say anything!"
    Anyway, the sonographer told me I wasn't making the pregnancy up and there was defo a baby inside there. All was regular and saw the little heartbeat flutter away. Got three pictures of a blob! Haha

That's so lovely, such an exciting time! Patiently counting down the weeks until we can tell our families.

Becks0603 wrote: »
    That's so lovely, such an exciting time! Patiently counting down the weeks until we can tell our families.

We told our immediate families on Sunday, it was my Dad's birthday and it just felt right. I'm just in my eighth week.

Looking forward to announcing properly after first hospital appointment.

Shelli2 wrote: »
    We told our immediate families on Sunday, it was my Dad's birthday and it just felt right. I'm just in my eighth week.

Looking forward to announcing properly after first hospital appointment.

Awh that sounds like perfect timing! I do think people need the bit of good news with everything else going on now aswell

• Advertisement

Totally, it was such an emotional rollercoaster of a day, it's only 9 weeks since he passed. We had a lovely Zoom gathering with the family and I was able to tell them all.

I'm so emotionally unstable at the moment between grief and hormones, it's so difficult not being able to see and hug family, my OH is an absolute saint! Cabin fever is not helping!

I haven't been in the office since the 28th February, I didn't get back in before lockdown started and we were instructed to work from home. Genuinely feels like a lifetime since there's been any normality.

I'm just trying to focus on cooking lots of tasty nutritional food to keep baby happy and healthy, light excersise and short walks, and clearing out the house of junk. Working on the garden too, to have somewhere nice to sit in the summer when I'll have a bigger bump and will need to relax more.

Anyone else spending far too much time looking at baby stuff online because of all the time we have to spare?

Totally, it was such an emotional rollercoaster of a day, it's only 9 weeks since he passed. We had a lovely Zoom gathering with the family and I was able to tell them all.

I'm so emotionally unstable at the moment between grief and hormones, it's so difficult not being able to see and hug family, my OH is an absolute saint! Cabin fever is not helping!

I haven't been in the office since the 28th February, I didn't get back in before lockdown started and we were instructed to work from home. Genuinely feels like a lifetime since there's been any normality.

I'm just trying to focus on cooking lots of tasty nutritional food to keep baby happy and healthy, light excersise and short walks, and clearing out the house of junk. Working on the garden too, to have somewhere nice to sit in the summer when I'll have a bigger bump and will need to relax more.

Anyone else spending far too much time looking at baby stuff online because of all the time we have to spare?

Ah God, things are hard enough at the moment without adding in pregnancy hormones and grief.

I think i'm on week 5 of working from home before that we were on a rota in the office and I'm getting fed up sitting at the kitchen table! I was thinking the same about the garden, I'd love one of those egg chairs for the summer time.

Also looking at so much baby stuff online, all the targeted ad's I'm getting now are baby related haha

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Also looking at so much baby stuff online, all the targeted ad's I'm getting now are baby related haha

Yeah, Google has figured out I'm pregnant now and every ad is baby related!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Santan

Is it normal at around the 6 to 8 weeks for the woman to lose some symptoms of being pregnant, no sickness, cramps, fatigue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Santan wrote: »
    Is it normal at around the 6 to 8 weeks for the woman to lose some symptoms of being pregnant, no sickness, cramps, fatigue?

Yes I can go for days feeling 100% and then bang it comes back again. Remember, sone people don't even know they are pregnant at 6 or 8 weeks. My cousin's wife went into hospital last week with suspected burst appendix and came out wit a baby boy. She's a nurse herself and had no idea she was pregnant!

If ye are concerned, ring your partner's GP and ask for a referral for a scan in the Early pregnancy unit. They have scaled back operations but my GP rang on a Wednesday and I had an appt the next morning.

• Advertisement

Had some light spotting today. I called the hospital but the midwife said not to worry, just keep an eye on it. Only to go in if it got heavy or painful cramping.

As joyous as it is, it's such a worry filled time too.

8 weeks today.
    Baby has been nicknamed Lil Bug, just praying all turns out ok.

Had some light spotting today. I called the hospital but the midwife said not to worry, just keep an eye on it. Only to go in if it got heavy or painful cramping.

As joyous as it is, it's such a worry filled time too.

8 weeks today.
    Baby has been nicknamed Lil Bug, just praying all turns out ok.

Very stressful Shelli, hope you took the weekend off to relax and mind yourself!

Very stressful Shelli, hope you took the weekend off to relax and mind yourself!

Thanks, I did, rested all weekend and all seems ok now.

How's everyone feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maisie_moo

Glad to hear you're doing OK, Shelli!!

On days I'm distracted I'm perfect, but the days I've nothing to do I've too much thinking time and mull over every symptom I feel or think I feel.

Told my parents and sister over the weekend. The happy tears were out. It was lovely. My mum was saying she had awful morning sickness (lasting all day on her 4th pregnancy) on her pregnancies for the first trimester so she's glad I don't have that. I'm also glad, haha.

I mainly just feel wrecked even though i'm getting a lot of sleep, I haven't been sick at all thank God but feeling quite nauseous and the only thing that seems to settle me is toast haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Allison86

Hi ladies...huge congrats to you all!

I'm not pregnant but just looking for some advice please

I'm 34 now and I've already put off getting pregnant for a few years (was travelling/getting married/building a house). My husband and I finally at the stage where we really want to start a family...and to be honest it's all I can think about!

And then of course the coronavirus hits...

I really don't know what to do. We could get pregnant after 1 month...or it could take a year or longer

I'm not really sure what my question is but I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance, as you got pregnant during the virus

I hate the thought of waiting another 6 months or whatever before we start trying...what if there's a never a "right" time...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Allison86 wrote: »
    Hi ladies...huge congrats to you all!

I'm not pregnant but just looking for some advice please

I'm 34 now and I've already put off getting pregnant for a few years (was travelling/getting married/building a house). My husband and I finally at the stage where we really want to start a family...and to be honest it's all I can think about!

And then of course the coronavirus hits...

I really don't know what to do. We could get pregnant after 1 month...or it could take a year or longer

I'm not really sure what my question is but I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance, as you got pregnant during the virus

I hate the thought of waiting another 6 months or whatever before we start trying...what if there's a never a "right" time...

Hi Allison,

I wouldn't wait just because of Corona. I know it's a worrying time but the hospitals are very safe and pregnant women generally are not considered to be higher risk than anyone else, especially during the first and second trimesters. You don't know how long it'll take, as you say. Lots of people just stop using contraception and 'wait and see how it goes', others put more work into establishing and focusing on their fertile periods.

Best of luck to you! start your folic acid just in case!

Hi Allison,

I wouldn't wait just because of Corona. I know it's a worrying time but the hospitals are very safe and pregnant women generally are not considered to be higher risk than anyone else, especially during the first and second trimesters. You don't know how long it'll take, as you say. Lots of people just stop using contraception and 'wait and see how it goes', others put more work into establishing and focusing on their fertile periods.

Best of luck to you! start your folic acid just in case!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease Cailleachdubh :) don't worry I've been on folic acid for years now just in case!

Hi Allison,

I would be inclined to agree with Cailleachdubh, the hospitals are all taking precautions and seem very safe at the moment. Oddly it feels like a good time to be pregnant as all our other plans for this year have been put on hold and working from home means i'm not stressing about hiding symptoms from colleagues!

Hi Allison,

I would be inclined to agree with Cailleachdubh, the hospitals are all taking precautions and seem very safe at the moment. Oddly it feels like a good time to be pregnant as all our other plans for this year have been put on hold and working from home means i'm not stressing about hiding symptoms from colleagues!

That's what I was thinking too...I'm working from home too and not going anywhere anytime soon so it's great timing in that way!

In my head I feel like we're going to get pregnant straight away 🙈 I know the reality is it could take a lot longer...coronavirus could just be a memory by the time I'm pregnant..who knows!

Thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

It’s a hard time but if you put it off you could be waiting years and the Coronavirus will still be with us. As far as I’ve read the risks identified are getting it in the first trimester (fever can cause problems with a developing fetus but that’s nothing new, applies to seasonal flu etc and many people are fine anyway) and some evidence that babies might deliver early. We will probably find out more as we go but I’m trying not to think about it- there are plenty of viruses and diseases in society that are dangerous to pregnant women already, chances of anything happening is probably low and we’re just over aware of this one now. My second baby ended up in ICU shortly after birth and I was told he was severely brain damaged, so I’m not being flippant about it - I know how scary this is. His was a virus that appears to be much more dangerous to newborns than this is so I’m taking comfort from that. (He’s grand btw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

We had talked and talked and fecking talked about going for no3 and then corona hit (we'll it was worldwide but began to hit Europe) and we said we'd hold off but sure didn't realise that I was pregnant already.
    I have been very careful this first trimester. Husband has played a blinder. He has done all the shopping, banking, chemist etc. I have only left the house twice (once to GO and once to have early scan). No one has been in the house (he ran anyone from the door that did try) and I plan to continue this for as long as possible.

Haven't told my family and feel really bad about that but I had a miscarriage last year and I know how much my mother would worry that she can't be here to help me. Just send fairer for say nothing until after my 12 week scan next week.

To the person that was wondering about whether or not to go for it, just do it (literally!) There will always be something to make you wonder if it is a good time or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

I’m a healthcare worker, currently working in the ED... well actually I’m on 12 days annual leave at the moment. 9 weeks now. Haven’t told anyone on work yet. Obviously the virus plays on my mind but we don’t have many cases in my area of hospital and we take all the necessary precautions anyway. Was in obstetrics/gynaecology until mid-April so can verify it’s very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NewbiePink

Hi there,
    Due Dec too 😀 Congrats to all
    It's our first so finding it all a bit surreal and new... anyone got any advice on public vrs semi private vrs private? Also where you can find straightforward cost estimates on them? We awe trying to choose this and our hosp at the mo
    Thanks

NewbiePink wrote: »
    Hi there,
    It's our first so finding it all a bit surreal and new... anyone got any advice on public vrs semi private vrs private? Also where you can find straightforward cost estimates on them? We awe trying to choose this and our hosp at the mo
    Thanks

Welcome and congratulations ❣️
    The NMH website has a pretty clear breakdown of their options. I'm not sure about other hospitals.
    This is my second (13 years apart so feels like I'm new to this again!). I've gone semi-private on both, but only because it's covered by my insurance. I'd be happy to go public otherwise. On my first I ended up in a 5 bed ward anyway. The public are 6 beds.
    And it was a midwife led delivery.
    I'm combined care with my GP which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

NewbiePink wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Thanks

It’s not very straightforward unfortunately, they don’t seem to list the fees, you need to email or ring the consultant you want. You need to make sure your health insurance has the right cover as well

I was starting to feel very anxious with everything that's going on, so I booked in for a private scan today. Best 100e I've ever spent.
    I saw my little wriggler, super active with a perfect strong heartbeat. Measuring 9wks exactly.
    It's such a relief.

I was starting to feel very anxious with everything that's going on, so I booked in for a private scan today. Best 100e I've ever spent.
    I saw my little wriggler, super active with a perfect strong heartbeat. Measuring 9wks exactly.
    It's such a relief.

Oh wow that's so exciting!! Hopefully it will keep your anxiety at bay too..delighted for you 😀

Oh wow that's so exciting!! Hopefully it will keep your anxiety at bay too..delighted for you 😀

Thanks. I'd highly recommend it if anyone is impatient for the 12 week check in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

It's such a relief.

Brilliant. I’m delighted for you after everything you’ve been through lately.

Advertisement