Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a sound bite of Michael o'Muicheartaigh

• 23-04-2020 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Does anyone have a recording of Michael O'Muicheartaigh's famous comment?

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín: his father’s from Fermanagh, his mother’s from Fiji. Neither a hurling stronghold.

Or even recall when it was said and I'll try to track it down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It was the 2010 All Ireland semi Final Kilkenny v Cork. You'd have to track down the radio 1 broadcast from that day to get it. Could be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ULMarc

That'll be some challenge alright. Cheers for that, however you managed to remember it!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

ULMarc wrote: »
    That'll be some challenge alright. Cheers for that, however you managed to remember it!

Here is a video recording of that match on YouTube you can search through.

https://youtu.be/qVRspOFudB0

Here is a video recording of that match on YouTube you can search through.

https://youtu.be/qVRspOFudB0

That's the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Ken. wrote: »
    That's the final.

Apologies, my bad. The Kilkenny Cork game is on Youtube but its the TV version with commentary by Ger Canning, so no use to the OP.

There are some M O'M documentaries on YouTube, it might be on one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Ken. wrote: »
    It was the 2010 All Ireland semi Final Kilkenny v Cork.

It was doing the rounds way before that. I'd say it's from between 1997 and 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The reason for the confusion over the date, and the fact that the OP cannot find the audio of it may be to do with the fact that it might never have been said in the first place.

Maybe it's just apocryphal.

Maybe O'Muicheartaigh did say something about Sean Og's parents but not in the way it's remembered today, maybe in the years after the commentary people embellished it to make a better story, or maybe the first person who first retold it misquoted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The reason for the confusion over the date, and the fact that the OP cannot find the audio of it may be to do with the fact that it might never have been said in the first place.

Maybe it's just apocryphal.

Maybe O'Muicheartaigh did say something about Sean Og's parents but not in the way it's remembered today, maybe in the years after the commentary people embellished it to make a better story, or maybe the first person who first retold it misquoted it.
    It's a quote here - https://www.the42.ie/micheal-isms-the-best-o-muircheartaigh-quotes-40543-Oct2010/
    I don't know much about the42, but I would imagine that so close to the time the actual quote (apparenlty) took place, it would be very poor journalism if that was untrue.

EDIT - Seems it wasn't as close.. (at least, not the first time he said it) - unless I am misreading, which is a possibility
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/in-the-name-of-the-father-an-interview-with-sean-og-o-hailpin-29722119.html
    In 1996, he makes his championship debut against Limerick, and is welcomed onto the field with the butt of a hurley into the ribs: "Now boyeen, how's that suit you?" A year later, he makes his first championship start against Clare and is racially abused: "Look at you ó hAilpín, you're nothing but a black ****." In 1999, he wins his first Munster and All-Ireland title and the game has a new poster boy. And its voice (Micheál ó Muircheartaigh) has a new chime . . .

"Father from Fermanagh, Mother from Fiji."

"Neither a hurling stronghold."

Two of his younger brothers – Setanta and Aisake – are also making headlines and inspire a terrific documentary, Tall Dark and ó hAilpín, which airs in January 2007. But there is one glaring omission and within minutes of the first screening, a fan (An Gaelgoir) has posted a message on GAA boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Suckit wrote: »
    It's a quote here - https://www.the42.ie/micheal-isms-the-best-o-muircheartaigh-quotes-40543-Oct2010/
    I don't know much about the42, but I would imagine that so close to the time the actual quote (apparenlty) took place, it would be very poor journalism if that was untrue.

EDIT - Seems it wasn't as close.. (at least, not the first time he said it) - unless I am misreading, which is a possibility
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/in-the-name-of-the-father-an-interview-with-sean-og-o-hailpin-29722119.html

Well that shows what I am saying.

Both sources are talking about something that apparently was said over a decade earlier (1999).
    And both are "magazine" type pieces rather that pieces reporting on a particular event so the scope for adding a bit of poetic license is greater.

As there was no social media in the late '90s the actual audio never got the chance to go viral either, or be fact checked.

Doomed French queen Marie Antoinette apparently never said "Let them eat cake", apparently she said something more like "Let them eat brioche", but cake made it into the history books.

The only way to be sure he said it is for someone to actually find the audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ULMarc wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recording of Michael O'Muicheartaigh's famous comment?

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín: his father’s from Fermanagh, his mother’s from Fiji. Neither a hurling stronghold.

Or even recall when it was said and I'll try to track it down.

Have you considered contacting RTE via email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

seligehgit wrote: »

I have found them extremely difficult to interact with.

Last year I was part of a team compiling a DVD on Matty Forde's career, and was looking for some footage from RTE as one particular piece we had was a bit grainy.

Lets just say, it would be easier to get assistance from the North Korean government.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ULMarc

seligehgit wrote: »

I hadn't. I was gathering the audio for a quiz. But that's over long ago at this stage. So i'm not really looking for it any longer. But I appreciate all the replies guys!

I was going to say a better option would be to email the guys from offtheball on newstalk to try find it. They are doing fück all on the 3 hours they have to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I would agree with a few people on this forum that he may not have said it. It sounds good though. As for a real quote, an NFL commentator once said "number 95 Greg Lloyd, he's one tough dude, give him a sock and a cue ball, and he could take on Bosnia" in reference to a Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end. I know that is true because I heard it myself, around 1992-3. Also a racing commentator once said " it's been a mixed day for Henritta Knight, her mother died this morning, but she's had a treble at Uttoxeter" I suppose we could start a separate thread for these things.

Advertisement