Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Castle Barna

• 01-05-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭

I see in Irish Golfer that they've said that Castle Barna GC has closed down

www.irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2020/04/30/castle-barna-gc-closes-its-gates-to-return-to-agricultural-roots/

Looks like the committee were trying to lease the land back from the owners, but given the current environment, with Covid19, etc... was always going to be a big ask.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come for too many clubs.

Had never played the course, but know there are a couple of guys on here who were either members, or are local to the club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Played it once. It is a nice course. Short from what I remember but a bit boggy. Felt like you were hitting off turf. I find that with a lot of midland courses (including Carlow and Esker Hills). There is a skill to playing there i guess

I think they 'closed' once already before. There are lots of courses in the vicinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I see in Irish Golfer that they've said that Castle Barna GC has closed down

www.irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2020/04/30/castle-barna-gc-closes-its-gates-to-return-to-agricultural-roots/

Looks like the committee were trying to lease the land back from the owners, but given the current environment, with Covid19, etc... was always going to be a big ask.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come for too many clubs.

Had never played the course, but know there are a couple of guys on here who were either members, or are local to the club

Yeah Space, I was told this by a pal of mine earlier in the week, it's an awful pity losing another golf club. It was one of my favourite open away days as it was a nice if not spectacular course with the toughest short hole and I mean short at about 115 yards along the canal and the welcome you got was second to none, they were genuinely delighted for outsiders to turn up and after your round The food and log fire were especially welcome on colder days.Hopefully they can still save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Played in only the once a good few years back in the company of CharlieIRL. In fact its probably how I got eventually involved in the Boards GS. I did enjoy playing the course and my memory recalls it as being an enjoyable track. Nice welcoming atmosphere and good grub.

Hopefully it can be saved..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Played it once. It is a nice course. Short from what I remember but a bit boggy. Felt like you were hitting off turf. I find that with a lot of midland courses (including Carlow and Esker Hills). There is a skill to playing there i guess

I think they 'closed' once already before. There are lots of courses in the vicinity?

The bolded part could describe the whole of County Offaly.

Sad to see this happen , wonder why local government don't get involved in cases like this a take over the running of the course as public golf course.

Shame for such a facility to just disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Sad to see any course close. Played it a few times. Lovely par 3 as you drove in. Also very nice clubhouse. According to newspaper reports,the members were in discussion with the owner who was retiring but then covid 19 arrived and that finished everything.

• Advertisement

Sad to see any course close. Played it a few times. Lovely par 3 as you drove in. Also very nice clubhouse. According to newspaper reports,the members were in discussion with the owner who was retiring but then covid 19 arrived and that finished everything.

That's the par 3 I was talking about earlier, the hardest short hole and it is short (trying to hold the green)that I've played.Maybe they can get back around the table now that return to golf is kinda set as 18th May..If any members are on this, " Go again and try to save the club/course

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    That's the par 3 I was talking about earlier, the hardest short hole and it is short (trying to hold the green)that I've played.Maybe they can get back around the table now that return to golf is kinda set as 18th May..If any members are on this, " Go again and try to save the club/course

I’m not a member there but I heard the land has been leased to a farmer already and the insurance has not been renewed. The members have made decisions on joining other clubs in the area once lockdown is lifted. I don’t think there’s any prospect of the place re opening. It’s a pity I would have gone over and played it one last time if I had the chance.

That’s a great little par 3. Sad end. In Kevin Markham’s book he said every county should have a Castlebarna. It was exactly the type of place that was unpretentious and got people in rural Ireland into golf who wouldn’t traditionally play the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Pity to see that. I wonder what will happen other courses. There must be a lot struggling.

Raisins wrote: »
    I’m not a member there but I heard the land has been leased to a farmer already and the insurance has not been renewed. The members have made decisions on joining other clubs in the area once lockdown is lifted. I don’t think there’s any prospect of the place re opening. It’s a pity I would have gone over and played it one last time if I had the chance.

That’s a great little par 3. Sad end. In Kevin Markham’s book he said every county should have a Castlebarna. It was exactly the type of place that was unpretentious and got people in rural Ireland into golf who wouldn’t traditionally play the sport.

Is it not a stipulation that it takes x amount of years to revert to agricultural land from being a golf course due to pesticides etc used in the upkeep of golf courses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Got my first ever birdie there 2 years ago in my first year playing golf on the 18th. It's 17 holes and a pitch and putt hole. Sorry to see it closed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I used to be a member there and was very sad to hear it was closing, I actually knew a good while ago it was closing as I'm still friends with the owners and many of the members.

Its a pity a deal couldn't be done with the members to lease it but I don't know the full details of what was required so not going to comment on it.

And yes, it is being returned to farmland so don't think there's much chance of saving it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Perhaps, some Castle Barna members should have a word with Rathcore members. Not too long ago,the word was that it was closing,the owner was selling up and the clubhouse had been sold.
    Looking at their website they certainly seem to have turned things around. They had all their inter club teams organised for this year,GUI and ILGU Committees appointed and they are offering various membership options including one I hadn't seen before...3 day membership. They are also active on social media.
    If there are any Rathcore members on here, it would be interesting to hear how they managed to get the club up and running again.

Perhaps, some Castle Barna members should have a word with Rathcore members. Not too long ago,the word was that it was closing,the owner was selling up and the clubhouse had been sold.
    Looking at their website they certainly seem to have turned things around. They had all their inter club teams organised for this year,GUI and ILGU Committees appointed and they are offering various membership options including one I hadn't seen before...3 day membership. They are also active on social media.
    If there are any Rathcore members on here, it would be interesting to hear how they managed to get the club up and running again.

Another club I've always liked playing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Its a pity alright, played it a few time and always got a friendly welcome. I thought that the members were trying to do somethingl, must have been all hear say. They also seemed to have a very active junior membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Glebee wrote: »
    Its a pity alright, played it a few time and always got a friendly welcome. I thought that the members were trying to do somethingl, must have been all hear say. They also seemed to have a very active junior membership.

I could stand corrected by a current member on the ins and outs but that’s not hearsay I know for sure the members appointed a committee to examine it and the member I heard from said they’d love to have seen it stay open. I doubt there was any lack of will...the committee costed it and concluded it was totally unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Committees appointed and they are offering various membership options including one I hadn't seen before...3 day membership.

They had 3 days membership nearly 7 years ago when I started playing.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    They had 3 days membership nearly 7 years ago when I started playing.

I think you maybe talking about Rathcore not Castle Barna..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Sad to see it go, we played it annually with a society I'm in and always had a good turn out. Anyone know what the story was with all the Teee boxes being sponsored by Coppers? Always seemed a random one and forgot to ask in the clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 12 harty1888

A committee was set up and everything was looking good until the restrictions came in, then meetings were unable to be had so no votes or negotiations could proceed and the owner had decided they were retiring on April 1st regardless.

There is rumours of investors looking to have talks when the lockdown is over but I think the damage is done as most members have or will have new clubs by then.

As far as Rathcore goes they don’t own the club or land anymore, they lease the course now and the club house is actually offices now, the club converted the green keepers sheds to changing rooms/club house.

Advertisement