Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint for a GRP Rudder

• 04-05-2020 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

AF1QipOESvdAZWDa5awr6vq53fI1u4FSeOZp0tJolbbT

Hi Guys.

Looking to paint a GRP rudder in white - the rudder is basically sound, so I just want to brighten it up and add protection to it for the coming season - if we get going. Its off a sailing dinghy so will be out of the water when not in use.

Any recommendations for 2 pack or 1 pack with primer?

I have see appliance paint being receommended elsewhere, but would prefer something that will add layers and I don't mind sanding to a good finish.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I would go with pre-kote primer and then Toplac they are both made by international. If it still has a gelcoat try rubbing compound and see if you can bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

Thanks Fergal

I have ordered both paints that you recommended. Unfortunately the gelcoat has been worn away from various minor impacts, filling / rubbing down repairs over the years.

Any advice for the best route to go with? I am going with:

Give the rudder a rub down with 300 grit sandpaper to give key and fill in any chips, etc with gelcoat filler.

Apply 1st coat primer foam roller - give a light rub down with 300 grit again once dry?

Apply 2nd coat primer foam roller - give another rub down with 300 grit.

Apply 1st + 2nd coat toplac foam roller - rub down once hard with 400 grit - moving up 600 / 800 / 1000 grit then polish with machine polisher?

Would this be the right way to go - any tips welcome!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sounds good, when rolling on the paint I like to tip it with a foam or fine hair brush to remove any lines "google roll & tipping" for a mirror finish I would also go from 1000-2000-3000 grit then rubbing compound and then wax.

615002_3174847708459_1540801183_o_zpsuoii2qfe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

Thanks again Fergal - beautiful finish on your boat - love the name:)

Advertisement