Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Book - “ Live at the Brixton Academy: A Riotous Life in the Music Business”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

fafy wrote: »
    Just finished this, couldn’t put it down, written by Simon Parkes who bought the crumbling venue for a quid in the early 1980’s and clearly turned it around.

Its not only packed with stories about every genre of music, its about the music business as well.

One of the best reads about the business i have read, and peppered with stories about the acts, its all quick stories and he moves on, moves quite fast, never boring.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Brixton-Academy-Riotous-Business/dp/1846689562/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=brixton+Academy&qid=1588544121&sr=8-1
    cheers for sharing, just had a look at the book contents, based on the chapter names, every musical genre is covered in there, will defo be buying it, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fafy

quaidox wrote: »
    cheers for sharing, just had a look at the book contents, based on the chapter names, every musical genre is covered in there, will defo be buying it, thanks again.

I read the whole book yesterday,in about 6 hours or so - a record for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Read this a couple of years ago, great book

I read the whole book yesterday,in about 6 hours or so - a record for me.
    was the conflict gig "the gathering of the 5000" mentioned in it??

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Just bought this there. Excited to read this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fafy

quaidox wrote: »
    was the conflict gig "the gathering of the 5000" mentioned in it??

I don't recall that specific gig being mentioned, impossible to mention them all, but some great stories in there, trucking with the police, local ganglords, you couldn't make it up, the scrapes/conflicts, he had to deal with.

I don't recall that specific gig being mentioned, impossible to mention them all, but some great stories in there, trucking with the police, local ganglords, you couldn't make it up, the scrapes/conflicts, he had to deal with.
    cheers for the info, defo gonna buy this, even though when i went there the last time (nofx) the bar (lack of) service majorly pissed me right off

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭FledNanders

Just ordered, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭but1er

Ordered it off books depository only 9.70 with delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I got mine in the post yesterday, have read it previously on Kindle but I wanted the real thing. Been to many gigs in Brixton over the years - Nick Cave, Happy Mondays, James, Marilyn Manson - and this book really brings the venue to life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement