Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Size my Solar PV

• 02-05-2020 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

Hi

So this is what I used last year and what I was billed last year.

Day and night meter rural from Energia

Month Day Night Total Cost
    Apr’20 356 kw 262 kw 618 kw €115.50
    mar 356 kw 262 kw 618 kw €115.50
    feb 339 kw 456.5 kw 795.5 kw €129.97
    jan 339 kw 456.5 kw 795.5 kw €129.97
    dec 327 kw 595.5 kw 922.5 kw €139.86
    nov 327 kw 595.5 kw 922.5 kw €139.86
    oct 271.5 kw 494.5 kw 766 kw €121.00
    sep 271.5 kw 494.5 kw 766 kw €121.00
    aug 297 kw 582.5 kw 879.5 kw €134.03
    jul 297 kw 582.5 kw 879.5 kw €134.03
    jun 232 kw 530 kw 762 kw €117.44
    May’19 232 kw 530 kw 762 kw €117.44
    Totals 3645 kw 5842 kw 9487 kw €1,515.57

Just wondering what size PV and battery would cover this so that when you sell back(when it comes in) the nett annual bill would be zero and what you could expect to pay ? I dont qualify for the solar grant with the house built post 2011

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You'd need to cover a football field with solar panels for your net bill to come to zero :p

Look at the "domestic solar PV quotes" thread in this forum to get an idea of what a typical system will cost. Summary: a good quote would be around the €6k mark including VAT, with the subsidy already deducted, so net cost to you, for a 4kwp system (about 13 panels) with a 5kWh battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

from the other posts the pv is required ( in typical irish location ) to generate 900kw in a month = 40 x 310kW panels maybe

60 panels for net zero ?

Your units cost €1500 per year. Let's say you got solar PV without battery (with battery the payback would be longer) and let's say you use 20% of your production yourself at the higher rate. Your break even point would then be with x being the annual production in kWh (with a presumed 5c FIT):

(20% * x) * €0.18 + (80% * x) * €0.05 = €1500

or x = 20MWh

one south facing 310W panel in a perfect location in Ireland produces about 310kWh per year, so you would need about 65 panels, so yeah your guess was pretty good

4kWp

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

celtic_oz wrote: »

Just wondering what size PV and battery would cover this so that when you sell back(when it comes in) ......?

thanks in advance.

Just wondering myself , when will the ESB allow meters to run backwards, if consumers are generating more than they are using?

• Advertisement

You can pay them €200 for the official one so you can donate power to their network for them to sell your neighbours.

I'm not thanking you for that answer Sir Liamalot. lol.

You can get the meter in the Uk for £50....maybe they'd fit it for you if you ask nicely..tomatosplat.gif

Sir Liamalot, are you one of those people that answers questions on Amazon by saying things like
    '"I don't know, I've never tried that."

I found this for anyone who is interested.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/solar-panels-excess-electricity-ireland-16487581

Nope. I walk the walk. :P

• Advertisement

Delta Lima wrote: »
    Sir Liamalot, are you one of those people that answers questions on Amazon by saying things like
    '"I don't know, I've never tried that."

I found this for anyone who is interested.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/solar-panels-excess-electricity-ireland-16487581

Don't believe everything you read. There is zero chance we will get a 19c FIT

If we are fairly lucky, we will get maybe 5-6c. So if you have a large solar PV system of say 4kwp (13 or so panels) and you use just 20% of your consumption yourself and you "lose" 80% to the grid, yo will get paid 4000 kWh (annual production) * 80% * 5c = EUR160 per year

All those fancy new homes with the 5 panels on them will get about twenty quid a year. A pittance.

And that's if the ESB install the smart meter for you for free...

unkel wrote: »
    Don't believe everything you read.
    +1

or anything that has "Tesla", "game changer", "linchpin", "revolutionary" or "predicted" in the title.

and you can bet your bottom dollar that -15% derating on efficiency is a real world normal operating condition figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Don't believe everything you read. There is zero chance we will get a 19c FIT

If we are fairly lucky, we will get maybe 5-6c. So if you have a large solar PV system of say 4kwp (13 or so panels) and you use just 20% of your consumption yourself and you "lose" 80% to the grid, yo will get paid 4000 kWh (annual production) * 80% * 5c = EUR160 per year

All those fancy new homes with the 5 panels on them will get about twenty quid a year. A pittance.

And that's if the ESB install the smart meter for you for free...

I know a lad in the US with solar. He gets 90% credit on his bill (so no actual cash) for every unit he exports. Starting to think that's a better idea than paying 5 or 6c cash.

Yep. Even better again is net metering. Like they have in countries like Germany and the Netherlands. Produce 4MWh per year (mainly in summer) and use 4MWh per year (mainly in winter) and you have a zero bill over the year :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Yep. Even better again is net metering. Like they have in countries like Germany and the Netherlands. Produce 4MWh per year (mainly in summer) and use 4MWh per year (mainly in winter) and you have a zero bill over the year :cool:

Sounds good in theory, but all you have to do to achieve maximum export is face a heap of panels south. Everyone does it and there's a surplus (check what was happening in Germany a while back). The solar version of the RHI scandal in Northern Ireland waiting to happen! East/West panels suit most households' actual consumption better than due south, so I think if net metering were to happen, south facing only panels should be excluded.

Germany is 10 years into the future compared to us islanders...shame really...

Advertisement