Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

adrian522 wrote: »
    WCC - The difference in value between the 227g and the 1KG is huge. I'd normally go for 2 or 3 smaller bags but you really have to go with the 1KG in this instance.

And this Brazillian coffee had better be good :)

Picked up some Kalita filters too.

That kilo is an awful waste if you don't like it though! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That kilo is an awful waste if you don't like it though! ;)

It'll get used one way or the other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I have been getting beans from Karl in Coffeeangel for over ten years (that is a while now that I think back). Bailies, based in Belfast, roast his coffee.

1Kg bags are around the €30 mark and he is currently hand delivering in Dublin and delivering nationwide for free.

For those who don't know Karl, he is a fascinating character (and coffee brain) who doesn't scrimp on quality. He generally only stocks 3/4 different coffees and for long periods, always one or two naturals and a washed. I've never once been let down by him, never had an overroasted batch (and we buy 2-3kg a month for my office).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Was looking at WCC earlier after the recommendations here but has their 20% discount ended? Never tried them, how would they compare to Badger & Dodo or Bailies for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Was looking at WCC earlier after the recommendations here but has their 20% discount ended? Never tried them, how would they compare to Badger & Dodo or Bailies for instance?

The prices include the discount - hen you select the bag size and grind etc. both prices (original and discount) will display.

They are single origins for the most part I think - I know Badger & Dodo do both single origins and blends so not sure what you are looking for. Both are excellent roasters and I have ordered from both - it can be nice for a change to try something new - I find that most of the fun to be honest especially in these days of reliving the same day over and over again!

• Advertisement

Yeah, would shop around a good bit myself. Will give them a whirl next and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I have been getting beans from Karl in Coffeeangel for over ten years (that is a while now that I think back). Bailies, based in Belfast, roast his coffee.

1Kg bags are around the €30 mark and he is currently hand delivering in Dublin and delivering nationwide for free.

For those who don't know Karl, he is a fascinating character (and coffee brain) who doesn't scrimp on quality. He generally only stocks 3/4 different coffees and for long periods, always one or two naturals and a washed. I've never once been let down by him, never had an overroasted batch (and we buy 2-3kg a month for my office).

What would you normally go for, the house blend Forsa Gala?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

So what do people think of the WCC Brazilian?

Last time I ordered I had the Burundi. I was able to make wonderful fruity coffee following the Stumptown recipe (Although inverted) with my AeroPress using a very fine grind (3/16).

I'm following the exact same recipe with the exact same grind size and Im getting very underwhelming coffee. Almost flavourless. I don't get it.

Sorry the Brazilian isn't working for you - I used it for espresso so maybe that ade a difference.

Just started the Brazilian Hydro and it's lovely - normally I go for chocolatey nutty coffees but this is definitely true to its notes with an apricot and raisin vibe - also tastes very sweet but in a nice way. Quite mellow and very easy to drink, a nice one for a sunny day maybe.
    https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/hydro

Got to say - ordered 28th, roasted Weds 29th - delivered on Friday 1st - top service in terms of freshness. At least with the 1kg bags if you get them a couple of days from roasting, rather than a week or so later it gives you a bit more time to use it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

Ordered 2 bags from Stone Valley Roasters Sunday morning, does anyone with experience using them know usually how long it takes from order to delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Danger781 wrote: »
    So what do people think of the WCC Brazilian?

Last time I ordered I had the Burundi. I was able to make wonderful fruity coffee following the Stumptown recipe (Although inverted) with my AeroPress using a very fine grind (3/16).

I'm following the exact same recipe with the exact same grind size and Im getting very underwhelming coffee. Almost flavourless. I don't get it.

Try a less fine grind and a higher temperature. Also adjust expectations - a standard Brazilian can be very pleasant but obviously isn't going to create an intense fruitiness that Burundi coffee would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

J_E wrote: »
    Try a less fine grind and a higher temperature. Also adjust expectations - a standard Brazilian can be very pleasant but obviously isn't going to create an intense fruitiness that Burundi coffee would.

not so sure, I've had a few South American's that aren't far off that standard recently from Bailies

now, the Burundi was exceptional granted but the Latin ones are also very good.

tweaked brewing method is great advice

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cheers for all of your tips guys, including Slattsy, natch.

Ordered 2 bags from WCC to give them a whirl. Looking forward to tasting it now when it gets here. Probably Tuesday I'd wager.

Did these lands BS? Have both these in my cart at the moment..

Slattsy wrote: »
    Did these lands BS? Have both these in my cart at the moment..

They actually haven't. I'll update when they do.

But with a bag of Fixx and 3fe now in the gaff I'll not be needing the WCC for a while. Which is annoying. Though I might give them a bash anyways.

---

Weirdly a box from Fixx landed this morning which confused the hell out of me, but seems the brother in law ordered a bag for me.

The other brother in law got me a doser for the moka which also landed this morning.

http://www.meliconi.com/en/prodotti/casalinghi/cucina/dosa-caffe-bistrot/

I'll be giving it a whirl tomorrow.

They actually haven't. I'll update when they do.

But with a bag of Fixx and 3fe now in the gaff I'll not be needing the WCC for a while. Which is annoying. Though I might give them a bash anyways.

---

Weirdly a box from Fixx landed this morning which confused the hell out of me, but seems the brother in law ordered a bag for me.

The other brother in law got me a doser for the moka which also landed this morning.

http://www.meliconi.com/en/prodotti/casalinghi/cucina/dosa-caffe-bistrot/

I'll be giving it a whirl tomorrow.

Seems there was an attempted delivery yesterday which I assumed was the fixx delivery.

Anyway, the aromas are amazing, especially the East Timorese one. I'm dying to give them a try.

I'll see how long I'll last with my 3fe and Fixx already open, but I might have to crack one open next week.

Naturally I've branded my dispenser now. :)

512031.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I pulled the trigger on the same two you ordered. Purely out of value I went for a kilo of the Brazilian and a smaller ET. Enough there for a few days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Imbibe have a Panama Gesha for this months coffee club, La Huella Canas Verdes N97 and a Nicaraguan single origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Have bought quite a few bags of cloudpicker coffee over the last few months.
    Very nice flavour from all the different types i've tried.

Put an order in with WCC on Friday to try them out. How long does it normally take them to turn orders around btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

Put an order in with WCC on Friday to try them out. How long does it normally take them to turn orders around btw?

I put an order in at 11pm Wednesday 6th. Bag states roasted on the 7th. Received the order this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, they get the order out really quickly but it depends on the courier. I ordered on the Friday before the B/H, took delivery on the Wednesday I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just opened my last kilo of all the stuff I panic bought in March (I still had some Yellow Bourbon left too. Doing some basic math at 2-3 cups a day, plus the odd bit of wastage I've got a bit under 3 weeks of Coffee left.

I use Aeropress mostly, but occassionly Moka pot and I'lm going to start using my ROK presso more as I've upgraded it. Something that's great without milk is ideal, but isn't ruined by a a small amount of steamed milk too.

Any recommendations? I'm considering getting some green beans too to roast myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Imbibe have a Panama Gesha for this months coffee club, La Huella Canas Verdes N97 and a Nicaraguan single origin.

Yeah don't miss out on this one, genuinely spectacular coffee and they're undercharging for it honestly.

Yeah don't miss out on this one, genuinely spectacular coffee and they're undercharging for it honestly.

What's the taste like?

I don't see it on the site - do you need to have signed up for the club? :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't see it on the site - do you need to have signed up for the club? :-(

Sold out within about an hour after being released on the coffee club, they release exclusive stuff for the club each month, it's well worth signing up for.

I ordered it pretty much straight away, being roasted on the 14th so will be interesting to see what it's like!

Sold out within about an hour after being released on the coffee club, they release exclusive stuff for the club each month, it's well worth signing up for.

I ordered it pretty much straight away, being roasted on the 14th so will be interesting to see what it's like!

Thanks - I signed up after you posted but too late obviously. Next month I guess!

Also from Twitter it seems the WCC 20% off offer will be ending soon in case anyone is thinking of an order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Bailies Guatemala El Limonar is there best one this year imo. Outstanding coffee.

Raging I missed that Panamanian coffee. I rarely see them available to purchase in Ireland for whatever reason. Still dreaming about those Panamanian coffees I had in Taiwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Bailies Guatemala El Limonar is there best one this year imo. Outstanding coffee.

Raging I missed that Panamanian coffee. I rarely see them available to purchase in Ireland for whatever reason. Still dreaming about those Panamanian coffees I had in Taiwan.

did that pour over and wasn't that impressed tbh ha!

going to aeropress it now in a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Was in Cardiff earlier in the year and got coffee in "Uncommon Ground Coffee Roasters".. Very nice... Finally remembered to order some of their beans today from their site... Worth a visit if we ever get to travel again!

Advertisement