Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nissan Leaf battery upgrade

• 02-05-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi everyone
    My upgrade is for everyone with Nissan Leaf from 2011 to 2016 who wants to give a second life to his car.
    I'm offering replacement your old battery modules with brand new LG Chem cells.
    Estimated range of 43 kwh
    Nissan Leaf :
    2011 230 km up to 270 km
    2013 250 km up to 290 km
    2016 260 km up to 300 km
    Estimated range of 34 kwh
    Nissan Leaf:
    2011 180km
    2013 190km
    2016 200 km
    Every car will show on the dashboard real range.
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Sounds interesting. Price for each option?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pszemo

7,000euro for 34kwh and 8,500 43kwh. I might have some discount for first costumer. 2 years warranty

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nice. About time this started becoming available for EV owners.
    Work carried out in Dublin? Warranty?

Yeah, I want to keep as many cars as possible on the road. 2011 Leaf is still a good car. I base in Celbridge. I give 2 years warranty. My battery cells should last 100k km and 80 % capacity.

Yeah, I want to keep as many cars as possible on the road. 2011 Leaf is still a good car. I base in Celbridge. I give 2 years warranty. My battery cells should last 100k km and 80 % capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Great to have this service and welcome to boards!

Out of interest, do you keep the old battery modules or do you give them back to the customer?

Thanks! I give them back. They are still good to use with solar panels.

Might be an option for you to lower your prices for the upgrade a bit and then for you to keep the old battery? I'd say most Nissan Leaf owners interested in your service wouldn't know what to do with Nissan Leaf battery modules. With your expertise, you could make them into powerwalls. Or just sell the modules to the highest bidder on eBay. Or offer a battery recondition service?

Yes, that's a good idea idea. I could lower price. Old modules are worth money depending on the degradation level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Out of curiosity how long do batteries typically last in a electric car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Have you done any here yet, or is this the launch of the service? Got a website or anything?

One use for the old cells might be to re-use a handful of them in cars that have a small number of dodgy cells? Not sure how many of these cars are around, but you see the odd one for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Out of curiosity how long do batteries typically last in a electric car?

The Leafs unfortunately suffer from worse battery degradation than the newer breed of EVs because of mediocre battery chemistry in the early models (pre 2014) and no ability to cool the batteries (all years). Having said that, the Irish climate is pretty perfect for EVs, so even though the Leaf is not as good as most newer EVs, it’s really not something people need to worry about buying any modern EV.

FWIW my 6 year old Leaf I sold recently had about 87% battery health, so really unnoticeable degradation there.

Yes I have done 34kwh and 43 kwh. How I can add photos here? The LG N2.1 chem cells used by me have a great energy density and can perform up to 55ºc degrees without permanent damaging the cell. That’s great for fast charging, hot weather. LG claims that cell should last 1000 cycles and still be at 80 % capacity. Irish weather is very good for EV.

So what mileage are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

So what mileage are we talking?

It's literally in the OP.

I'd be very interested in this service. I was going to get rid of my Leaf this year as it's just about to get me one way to work and by this winter with cold battery wouldn't be suitable for my commute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good to know this will be well bedded in and real world experience for when my L30 gets unusable in about 10yrs time, currently 95% so no worries.
    2nd car in the house so now a car for life

Celticfire wrote: »
    It's literally in the OP.

I'd be very interested in this service. I was going to get rid of my Leaf this year as it's just about to get me one way to work and by this winter with cold battery wouldn't be suitable for my commute.

I thought thats the range a battery can do and not when its start to die.

I'm talking about if you got a new leaf how many KM's can you travel till the battery gives up and needs replacement.

So basically it is 1000 complete charge and discharge cycle should last for about 250k km and soh 80 %.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't think you can upload pics until you have 50 posts. Something I never have done. Great to see such a service in Ireland. Was hoping a replace of battery would come in around €5K. Maybe you'd be nearer that with the old battery thrown in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

Great to see someone doing this in Ireland. Something I would definitely consider down the line. I have a gen1. 5 with over 160k on the clock and 82%soh. Before covid 19 I was doing about 500kms per week. Lots of short bursts which was manageable. When things normalise again I will be back up to those distances. At the moment the car is lucky to move 3 or 4 times a week. I just checked the leaf app and I've only done 470kms for April

• Advertisement

It takes a lot of hours to complete project. Battery cells are very expensive as well. The car need Can Bus Bridge divice to show correct range. If you sell your old modules for 2k then it will be 5k for 34kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What about replacing individual cells rather than the whole battery? Where is the industry at with regard to this kind of job?

No, your battery is as strong as your weakest cell. To find your bad cells you need to remove all modules and test with high current discharge. The best known way to get better range is replace them all or battery extender.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Can you do conversions of ICE vehicles? Is this something you would consider?

Not really, sorry. I work on Leaf only at the moment. My next step will be upgrading the on board charger to 6.6 kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Will this be able to be done on a 30 kwh too????.

Or is there some technical difference that stops a 30 kwh getting this upgrade.

I see that the Dutch guys doing the battery upgrades are working with 24 kwhs too.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Will this be able to be done on a 30 kwh too????.

There's no point, is there? A 30kWh is still worth about 12k. Rather than spend another 7k on it, you'd be better off selling it and buying an Ioniq / L40 if you need more range

This service would suit someone with a badly degraded Leaf worth maybe 4k. Spend the 7k on it and you will have a good range EV for a pretty tight budget of 11k in total

Some people just love their Leafs🙂
    Yes it can be do on any Nissan leaf... Early Leaf is the best option for my service as Unkle said. 30 kWh Leaf still have good value.what range are you getting on your car Old diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

pszemo wrote: »
    Some people just love their Leafs🙂
    Yes it can be do on any Nissan leaf... Early Leaf is the best option for my service as Unkle said. 30 kWh Leaf still have good value.what range are you getting on your car Old diesel?

I don't have one - I was just curious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

How about the Renault Fluence, can you upgrade the battery on one of those

Advertisement