Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT appeal

• 01-05-2020 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey folks,
    Haven't been on in years, but was looking for advice on my VRT appeal.
    I moved from UK to Ireland in July and brought back my car to Ireland to import to the state.
    I had the VRT inspection with the NCTS and was told they would contact once VRT all processed. My VRTVPD2 form had my email, UK phone number and Irish address, but they phoned my fathers number to inform on next steps at a time when I was out of the country. He originally had forgotten to have received any call, but then I discovered he had. When they called he was up a mountain, told them he couldn't speak but was informed someone would contact in writing.
    I had heard nothing through the previous months and let things slip until the new year and having contacted the NCTS, they confirmed VRT had been calculated and now included a €2k NOX charge and €600+ late payment penalty.
    Do anyone know if I have grounds to appeal if NCTS did not contact me directly and if written confirmation/email was never provided?
    I honestly expected there was such a huge backlog with the cheap £/€ exchange and was also out of the country so much.
    Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just to be clear, you left it 5 months to contact them again? How did they get your fathers number?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 maximan

4 months, I was awaiting their feedback. During that time I had been in a different country frequently and since moved abroad...long story.

That number was used to receive a confirmation text message for booking the VRT inspection. My UK number was on VRTVPD2.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could try to appeal it, but it seems the reasons for you not registering the case were mainly:

Supplying a number that wasn’t yours to receive the text

Your dad forgetting about the call

You not getting back to them for months

I can’t see that you have much grounds for appeal, especially if there is no record of them saying they would write to you (even at that, you still ignored the situation for months) but best of luck with it all the same. The Nox charge was sorta snuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Wouldn't be grounds for appeal. If you imported it in July it should have been paid within 30 days, the fact there was NOx added onto that shows it was much longer than the 4 months you say.

Your fathers number was on the system as it was his number used to make the booking. The call centre staff won't go through paperwork looking for another number, especially since someone answered when they rang.

They contacted you. You really should have paid more attention to the time frame. A small few weeks is understandable but to leave it months is irresponsible.

Yes, fair enough. Thanks for input. I appreciate it's not a great basis for an appeal.

I thought the NCTS would have a proper process to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

maximan wrote: »
    Yes, fair enough. Thanks for input. I appreciate it's not a great basis for an appeal.

I thought the NCTS would have a proper process to follow.

They do, you just didn’t follow it, it’s make booking within 7 days and complete appointment within 30 days.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-and-registration.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

maximan wrote: »
    ... My UK number was on VRTVPD2.

Where did you put your contact number on VRTVPD2?

I put it under Section 3 under contact number below address. Can't believe they wouldn't send something by email / post which could be automated, what's the point in providing those details.

Seems like it's my word against there's about what was said and no recording or anything. I have paid the charge but they aren't entertaining the appeal.

Advertisement