Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Sitcom Character (US & Canada)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think Garret Dillahunt should have made the cut for Raising Hope and/or The Mindy Project ;)

Bert Hope was the final person I cut from the initial 120, so he very nearly did...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Good taste in characters, ASLB. But based on that, if you had to break a tie in the final, it'd have been a different winner? :)

quickbeam wrote: »
    Good taste in characters, ASLB. But based on that, if you had to break a tie in the final, it'd have been a different winner? :)

Yep, but I'm glad it didn't come to that, and as I mentioned I was mostly going to use the best reason given during the voting to break any tie and Homer had the best reason (as far as I'm concerned) with his vote for Rachel, while also taking a few other things into account (like I didn't go back to count all the votes from previous rounds for Ron and Rachel because I didn't have to, but I would have, and I think Rachel received more in general), so if it had come down to it, Rachel Green would have won this one, I think anyway.
    I definitely didn't want to have to break a tie in the Final. Would've gone in to extra time first, with an additional hour of voting, which meant I would've had had an extra hour to mull it over, so it's hard to say for definite of course... ;)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nick Offerman was never nominated for an Emmy for his role as Ron, he should have won one at least

Bert Hope was the final person I cut from the initial 120, so he very nearly did...

Just out of curiosity who else was cut from the initial 120 if not too much trouble to post them all please ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Only saw this thread this evening. Great thread, and great bit of fun. Thanks for doing it.

Just reading through your favourites ASLVB, I love Frasier and Niles. The two of them, along with Friends are my comfort viewing.
    Can I mention as well, the late John Mahoney, dad to Frasier and Niles. His permanent disappointment in his two sons, and their lack of sporting prowess...aah he cracks me up.

Just out of curiosity who else was cut from the initial 120 if not too much trouble to post them all please ;)

I did all that with pen and paper, so don't have a masterlist typed up. I had well over 200 names at the beginning though.

Only saw this thread this evening. Great thread, and great bit of fun. Thanks for doing it.

Just reading through your favourites ASLVB, I love Frasier and Niles. The two of them, along with Friends are my comfort viewing.
    Can I mention as well, the late John Mahoney, dad to Frasier and Niles. His permanent disappointment in his two sons, and their lack of sporting prowess...aah he cracks me up.

Yeah Martin is great too. The whole cast of Frasier were perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Can I just say, reading through it now can in no way recreate the excitement of the Eurovision style second chance for the runners up round. That was so much fun.

eldamo wrote: »
    Can I just say, reading through it now can in no way recreate the excitement of the Eurovision style second chance for the runners up round. That was so much fun.

And quite possibly the most work I've done in a single day in my entire life... :D

I did enjoy it though. Especially as there's no actual Eurovision this year... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JuneMoon7

Nick Offerman was never nominated for an Emmy for his role as Ron, he should have won one at least

If hes anything like Ron, he thinks awards are stupid. But they would be less stupid if they went to the right people.

I did all that with pen and paper, so don't have a masterlist typed up. I had well over 200 names at the beginning though.

No probs, again thanks for the game ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

They really were. I love all of them :D
    The bitchiness between Niles and Roz, the ever elusive Maris. Daphne, Lilith... all absolutely perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The bitchiness between Niles and Roz, the ever elusive Maris. Daphne, Lilith... all absolutely perfect.

anigif_sub-buzz-15924-1515536295-6.gif

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I see Sam Lloyd who played Ted in scrubs has passed away. Thought it would be fitting to acknowledge him here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/sam-lloyd-death-scrubs-zach-braff-ted-jd-cause-tumour-cancer-modern-family-a9495361.html

ImpureUnripeChuckwalla-small.gif

img.gif?width=245&height=186

ToWnJcN.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ahh he was a great character. Poor Ted. RIP

Edit: poor Sam, read there he had inoperable cancer and a tumor on the brain. But I see fans and co-stars raised over 100000 to help him. May not have worked, but at least he knew he wasnt forgotten about.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Wonderful actor and great character.

RIP Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know LeVar won't mind me plugging my new thread here. Cartoon Wars 2 has started folks. Click here to take part.

Was Maris ever shown?

RIP Sam he played Ted also in Cougar Town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My favourite part of Frasier. There's a Roz burn I use in my everyday life. She says to Niles at one point "Shut up, ya big doily!". That's worked its way into my vocabulary. :D

• Advertisement

For anyone who enjoyed the Eurovision Styled Secondchance Showdowns at the end of Round 1, I'm hosting a Music Constest based on that if anyone is interested...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058076429

Jerry Stiller died - RIP

Jerry Stiller died - RIP

Yeah saw that yesterday. Meant to post it in here, but slipped my mind

He had a good age anyway, as my Granny would say

Rest In Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Was Maris ever shown?

RIP Sam he played Ted also in Cougar Town

No, she joined the unseen wives club along with Mrs Columbo, Mrs Arfur Daley and Mrs Mainwearing.
    There probably isn't an actress thin enough to play her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Niles has to be in it or it’s not worth doing imo- those guys bouncing off each other was the core to the show

Niles has to be in it or it’s not worth doing imo- those guys bouncing off each other was the core to the show

The father will be missed, loved his one liners also Eddie :(

The father will be missed, loved his one liners also Eddie :(

He was such a brilliant part of it, and Eddie of course.
    I remember reading that in real life, he didn't like the dog at all!

Considering this is Greatest character, I'd put a vote in for Maris. It's a work a genius to have a character who is never onscreen in a sitcom, because you can say anything about them. Some great Maris moments that spring to mind:
    Daphne: So where is she now?
    Martin: They're holding her as a flight risk.
    Niles: Can you imagine?
    Martin: Well, it didn't help that when they found her, she had a passport, a wig, and $10,000 in her purse.
    Niles: Maris always has those things in her purse.
    Frasier: I must say, Niles, that is a striking tie you're wearing.
    Niles: Thank you. It was a gift from Maris. She had it made for me to commemorate the end of that dreadful winter she had her obesity scare.
    Frasier: Oh, yes. I remember her struggle to lose that holiday pound.
    Niles: After she'd restored her figure, she had Yoshi set fire to a hippopotamus topiary she felt had taunted her. Then, as a visual reminder never to let herself go again, she had this tie made for me out of the legs of her fat pants.
    Niles: It was Maris.
    Frasier: Maris?!
    Niles: I haven't spoken to her for months. She says she needs to see me.
    Frasier: About what?
    Niles: I don't know. She was hysterical. I haven't heard her this panicked since her strength gave out halfway through a revolving door.
    Niles: Disaster again. Maris's little wine club had an outing to the local vineyard. As the new president, she had the honor of being first into the stomping vat. You can imagine her humiliation when she danced herself into a barefoot fury and was unable to break even a single grape.
    Daphne: Oh, Martin, look at you. Sitting in your chair all sour and grumpy.
    Ronee: You must be drunk in this picture, Niles. You've got your arm around a floor lamp.
    Niles: Oh, no, that's Maris in her Easter hat.

• Advertisement

denartha wrote: »
    Considering this is Greatest character, I'd put a vote in for Maris. It's a work a genius to have a character who is never onscreen in a sitcom, because you can say anything about them. Some great Maris moments that spring to mind:

Well the tournament ended 10/11 Months Ago, so you could put a vote on whoever you like, but the game is well and truly over... :D

Advertisement