Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - Comic Book Guy

• 30-04-2020 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Thanks to all for the questions on my Spotlight. I had good fun answering and in some cases tackling a few of them. I now have the great pleasure of passing the baton over to Comic Book Guy.

Comic Book Guy won the most improved athlete in the A/R end of year awards after a massive 41 minute improvement from DCM18 to DCM19 clocking in with a time of 3.13.
    A mere 4 weeks later, he had his own version of the "Battle of Clontarf". He went out a clocked a 1.26.56(5 min PB) after falling flat on his face "literally" at the start of Clontarf Half Marathon. He also knows how to write a mean race report.

1. How and when did you get into Running?

2. Whats your favourite Race distance?

3. Whats the background to your username?

4. Best place you have ever visited and why?

5. Whats the silliest thing you have done when drunk?

6. What are your other interests outside of running?

. My bonus question as I think u asked me this one for a reason

7. Ever been caught short on a run? What Evasive action did you take if so? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Great choice. I have one question and one question only:

Will you ever race a 5K?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Great choice! Looking forward to this thread.

1. What PB are you most proud of?
    2. How did you get into running?
    3. What's your favorite training session?
    4. Out of all the superheroes, what draws you to Batman in particular?
    5. How did you feel in the final miles of DCM last year when you knew all your hard work and training had paid off and you were killing it?
    6. What's your favorite meal before a race?
    7. Are you missing baseball?
    8. What are your long term running goals?
    9. Bucket list race?

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great choice!

1) Should the Premier League season be voided?

2) If there are to be no races in 2020, would you run a solo marathon?

3) Favourite alcoholic beverage?

4) Weirdest thing you've encountered on a run?

5) What's the biggest positive you've taken from the coronavirus situation (if any)?

6) Which race would you rather - a 5k or a 50k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Thanks to all for the questions on my Spotlight. I had good fun answering and in some cases tackling a few of them. I now have the great pleasure of passing the baton over to Comic Book Guy.

Thanks D! after you and E I feel like the weak link 3rd leg runner in the 4 x 400m relay being given a massive lead but seeing it very quickly being eaten away in the back straight!

1. How and when did you get into Running?

I stopped plying with my club GAA team in about 2012 so was looking for something to do to keep reasonably fit and avoid moving up a waist size or 2 in my jeans. Running and Cycling looked the easiest fix and went with running. It was nothing serious, just out a few times a week. I was the signature newbie to it though, running in my Roscommon GAA jersey and O'Neills shorts while killing myself trying to run as fast as I could for as long as I could. Took me a long time to cop on that that wasn't the best way to do it!

2. Whats your favourite Race distance?

Talk about doing things arseways but I've only raced the marathon and the half marathon! Tough to choose between them but right now I'd probably just go with the half as I've raced more and have a better understanding of when to move up a gear and push on.

3. Whats the background to your username?

I love The Simpsons (well the early to mid seasons stuff, I gave up watching the new ones a good while ago as its just being phoned in at this stage).
    Homer is obviously the man but all variations of his name were already in use. I went through a good few different characters before landing on Comic Book Guy and it seemed to fit! I know, I know....worst background story ever!

4. Best place you have ever visited and why?

I went to Boston working straight after final year college exams with some classmates. Once we had a decent ball on money built up we rented a car and spent a couple of weeks going coast to coast visiting famous landmarks like Niagara Falls, Mount Rushmore, Las Vegas amongst others. Best of all was The Grand Canyon though. Sheer size and scale of it is unbelievable. Always nice to think back on that trip, just young lads with no responsibilities or care in the world!

5. Whats the silliest thing you have done when drunk?

Back when I used to be out every weekend I was one of those happy drunks so I never really did anything embarrassing.
    Thinking back I used to have a party trick that was downright stupid though from when I lived in Carrick on Shannon in mid to late 00s.
    The main niteclub in town is actually about a mile outside the town so everyone would have to get on a bus to get out to it. At the end of the night I would regularly challenge my mates to a race. I would run back into town while they made the trip on the bus. The road itself had no hard shoulder and no street lights until the very edge of town. I always remembered to step into the grass bank when I seen lights from on coming traffic but I'd say I frightened the life out of some drivers as I would have been in dark clothes.
    A couple of lads had actually been knocked down and killed doing the same thing a few years before :(

6. What are your other interests outside of running?

I'm a sports nut. I watch and follow/support teams and individuals in anything and everything with the notable exceptions of Horse Racing and Basketball which I just could never get into.
    I also love to read but I doubt any book snobs would be too interested in my Kindle entries! I like to read sports autobiographies for easy reading as ya can fly through them but with a few exceptions they don't tend to be warts and all unfortunately and tend to be very sugar coated.
    My favourite series is probably the Charlie Parker books by John Connolly but I'm finding the Jack Reachers book very good too.

. My bonus question as I think u asked me this one for a reason

7. Ever been caught short on a run? What Evasive action did you take if so? :p

A flipping bonus question that I knew would bounce back to me as soon as you asked me to step up to the plate! :D
    Yeah happened to me last year on one of the long weekend runs in preparation for DCM19. I never had any inkling of a near miss previously but this Saturday morning about 7 miles in I started to get that sinking feeling you described so well. Initially I thought I could run it off thinking it was maybe just a stomach cramp but a couple of minutes later I knew that wasn't going to work and I was in need of relief. This juncture of the run had me leaving a very quiet bog road and onto a slightly busier route for about half a mile. I knew of a spot where I could stop but as soon as I turned the corner there were 5 local farmers that I know there moving cattle. I had to do a slow Rob Heffernan type shuffle past them to make sure things didn't go into motion before vaulting a gate around the next bend. Dock leaves aren't a farmers friend but they were mine that morning I can tell ya :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Haha brilliant

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Great choice. I have one question and one question only:

Will you ever race a 5K?

:pac:

I knew this one would come up!

I'm not really sure why I just dived into a half marathon as my first race, I guess the endurance part of it appealed to me over the short speedy stuff.

I had planned on doing a local one here in the neighbouring GAA club that was due to take place in June.
    I did sign up to do the TT here but I just lost focus/motivation for it and baled on it. Really regret it now as the thread was such a great read and every single person posted such impressive times and reports.

In a former life I was actually one of the speedsters in GAA training so I really should have given one a go a long time ago. The longer it has gone without doing one the bigger it has almost built in my head about what a balls up I could make of racing it and show myself up. Mental strength and self confidence in my running is a major weakness with me.

I'm going to make myself race one this year though, hopefully in a race but that doesn't look likely anytime soon so will probably end up doing it as a TT.

1. What PB are you most proud of?

I only have a choice of 2 for this question- marathon and half marathon! I'd have to go with the marathon PB purely for it making up for the balls up I made of the previous year's marathon through nobody else's fault than my own!

2. How did you get into running?

The only reason I started running was to maintain some level of fitness and avoid a slow progressive weight gain after giving up the football. Remember that old TV ad (think it was Reebok) with the guy running but being chased by a giant inflatable belly with some song like "belly's going to get you!", well that would have been my motivation for running at the time!

3. What's your favorite training session?

I only started doing them this year after following Faster Road Running plan for a spring HM that was ultimately cancelled but I love long progression runs. I enjoy long runs out the country anyways but the feeling of moving up through the gears during the course of these runs as you go through the various mile markers is great.
    It's weird, I'll always start off questioning how the hell am I going to be running at a pace 2 mins/mile or more faster than the one I start off at but it usually comes together ok!

I'll get to the rest of your questions later L, duty calls!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How's Gotham these days?

4. Out of all the superheroes, what draws you to Batman in particular?

For me it's because behind the cape and cowl he's a mortal man and a flawed and damaged one at that.
    I also love that he overcame his fear and used it as a symbol to denote himself "Its time my enemies share my dread".

5. How did you feel in the final miles of DCM last year when you knew all your hard work and training had paid off and you were killing it?

The thing I remember most from the halfway point of that race was that this felt relatively easy and just waiting for the real race to start! Last 2 miles I was running on fumes though so was just focused on consolidating my time and getting over the line.
    Afterwards my main feeling was pure relief that I punched in a time I was happy with and hadn't let myself or my family down.

6. What's your favorite meal before a race?

I love porridge mixed with an activia yoghurt and some berries that's prepared the night before and left in the fridge.
    Also partial to Weetabix with dare I say it warm milk.

7. Are you missing baseball?

Yeah its a bummer at the moment with no live sport to speak of. I was really disappointed though that the Red Sox traded Mookie Betts. Just doesn't seem right him leaving the Sox and Tom Brady leaving the Patriots :(

8. What are your long term running goals?

Would love to give a sub 3 hour marathon a good rattle. Not looking like that will happen this year though :(
    Apart from that nothing really specific. I just want to run consistently for as long as I'm able!

9. Bucket list race?

I wouldn't describe it as a bucket list race but would love to go back to Boston sometime and do the marathon. I'm guessing you would be in the same boat on that one!

Thanks for those head scratchers L!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

:pac:

I knew this one would come up!

I'm not really sure why I just dived into a half marathon as my first race, I guess the endurance part of it appealed to me over the short speedy stuff.

I had planned on doing a local one here in the neighbouring GAA club that was due to take place in June.
    I did sign up to do the TT here but I just lost focus/motivation for it and baled on it. Really regret it now as the thread was such a great read and every single person posted such impressive times and reports.

In a former life I was actually one of the speedsters in GAA training so I really should have given one a go a long time ago. The longer it has gone without doing one the bigger it has almost built in my head about what a balls up I could make of racing it and show myself up. Mental strength and self confidence in my running is a major weakness with me.

I'm going to make myself race one this year though, hopefully in a race but that doesn't look likely anytime soon so will probably end up doing it as a TT.

I guarantee you, it’s a distance everyone has messed up on, so don’t let that hold you back! Looking forward to seeing how you get on when you do race a handful of 5ks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Are you waiting to run a 5 and 10k until you feel ready to blitz everyone on here :D ?
    Did you know you were sandbagging in the extreme prior to DCM 2019?
    What drew you to try a marathon in 2018?
    What position did you play in football? (You didn't actually say football but I'm making the assumption because.. Roscommon) Any county medals :)?
    What will you look forward to most post-lockdown?
    What's your favourite thing about running?
    What's your least favourite thing about running?
    Nicest place you've run? (race or training)
    Barry's or Lyon's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Excellent choice to go under the spotlight!

Right so....

1. Has running taught you anything about yourself you didn't know before?
    2. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
    3. You wake up on a weekend morning - no work (no lockdown either, normal life circumstances!), no housework to do, no commitments, and you've no run to do. Dream way to spend the day?
    4. You're granted a wish to be world class in any sport or athletics event - what would you pick?
    5. If you had to live anywhere else in Ireland or the world, where would it be?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Great choice!

Thanks for the questions A!

1) Should the Premier League season be voided?

As a Man Utd fan it should definitely be voided! Ah no only kidding. Tribal rivalries aside everyone would love to see the Premier League back and the season completed.
    My issue up to now was that the drive to bring it back was purely money driven with no consultation with the actual players, medical staff etc. who would ultimately be the ones returning to work.
    I seen a quote from Sergio Aguero saying the majority of players would be scared of returning. Now I'm sure his exact words were probably exaggerated after translation but the worry is there. Then you have the ethical issue of testing all the players and staff before games, wouldn't those resources be better used elsewhere?

2) If there are to be no races in 2020, would you run a solo marathon?

I intend starting training for this years Dublin Marathon in late June but I'd fully expect the organisers to be calling it off in July. You know yourself the amount of time you need to put into training for the months before the event, I don't think I could justify all that effort if I knew it was all just for a solo TT at the end of it. I don't think I would have the mental toughness either to complete it at race pace when the going gets rough and I'm all on my own on some back road near home!

3) Favourite alcoholic beverage?

My pint and bottle of choice is Bulmers.
    On the rare occasions I'm out I also like to drink Jameson neat with ice. A farmer once told me that if you aren't man enough to drink whiskey without adding some type of mixer to it then you shouldn't be drinking it at all so that's been my mantra since!

4) Weirdest thing you've encountered on a run?

The only thing I can think of is about 2 years ago I was out running really early on a lovely sunny weekend morning. I was on the hard shoulder of the N5 but there was no traffic out and I had the place to myself. All of a sudden I can hear loads and loads of roaring and cars beeping horns around the bend that's about half a mile ahead of me. I keep running and the noise is getting louder and louder as its coming my way. Around the bend I'm met with 3 sulkies racing and about 10 cars full of lads hanging out windows roaring them on. Have to move up onto the grass verge as there's no way these lads are veering from the racing line to accommodate me!

5) What's the biggest positive you've taken from the coronavirus situation (if any)?

Hhhmmm, not much here A. What I would say is that my wife is a carer in a HSE nursing home and its nice to see them and nursing staff all around the country getting some recognition for all the work they have done in the last month. It's a job I could never contemplate doing and I always felt they were greatly under appreciated.
    The time away from the office has also given me the space to cultivate my slow growing fluff into something resembling a beard!

6) Which race would you rather - a 5k or a 50k

I've never really considered doing a 50k tbh so its a 5k all the way. I just need to nominate a date now and get the TT done and dusted!

How's Gotham these days?

Who would have thought that a virus seemingly originating in bats would do a better job of taking criminals off the streets than me. Alanis Morisette should update the lyrics to her song!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Are you waiting to run a 5 and 10k until you feel ready to blitz everyone on here :D ?

:pac: Yeah right! I'd need to be doing an ultra Ross Barkley on it to compete with a lot of the times posted last weekend. Congrats again on your time, brilliant effort in a TT.

Did you know you were sandbagging in the extreme prior to DCM 2019?
    :D I knew that I had trained a lot smarter than the previous year's effort and that I should beat that year's time unless something really went wrong but it wasn't until I went through the halfway marker and did a mental check on things that my confidence started to grow and I thought I could post a decent time.

What drew you to try a marathon in 2018?

I suppose the fact that it's looked on as a significant endurance event to participate in and complete. When I started to run a bit more consistently people would always ask "would you ever run a marathon" and the more it was asked the more the thought bubble grew. The fact that you see people of all ages take part and complete it helped the "maybe I could do that too"! thought.

What position did you play in football? (You didn't actually say football but I'm making the assumption because.. Roscommon) Any county medals :)?

TBH at the time when I was training with the club I was fast and fit but I was a bang average club player more accustomed to lining out with the Junior B team than the first team. I was usually given the job of picking up the speedster corner forward on the opposition team, fun times!!
    We won a couple of intermediate league titles but despite competing at senior league level for a few years we always came up short in Junior championship despite being heavy favourites to win it each year.

Of course they only went and won it the year I stopped playing :pac:

What will you look forward to most post-lockdown?

Ah it's the little things V. There are days at home when I feel really sorry for my kids. They are happy enough playing out the back with each other but I know they would love to be back in school/pre school and mucking around with their friends. So I would probably pick the day their activities like GAA/soccer training and stage school are back. When kids are happy it makes the whole house a lot happier :D

What's your favourite thing about running?

I know its a cliché but I always find it to be true...go for a run, you'll feel better afterwards!

What's your least favourite thing about running?

It's rare enough it happens to me but I hate when a truck or car full of lads blows you out of it while approaching from behind for their own amusement. Real comedians :rolleyes:

Nicest place you've run? (race or training)

We were on hols last year in l'Estartit in Spain in late August/early September. Was great to get the runners on early each morning and hit the roads with the sun already shining. I had to do a 20 mile LSR one Sunday morning and it took me way out of the tourist part of the town and instead running through huge apple orchards and farmland, was so quiet but beautiful. The 20 miles just flew by!

Barry's or Lyon's

I'm more of a coffee person than tea V. I'd still usually have one cup of tea during the day but I wouldn't be a connoisseur so I doubt I could tell the one from the other if a cup was put in front of me right now. The tea bags currently up in the press are Aldi's finest! :pac:

Thanks for the questions V!

eyrie wrote: »

Right so....

3. You wake up on a weekend morning - no work (no lockdown either, normal life circumstances!), no housework to do, no commitments, and you've no run to do. Dream way to spend the day?
    4. You're granted a wish to be world class in any sport or athletics event - what would you pick?

No soft questions there C! I'll have to have a think about those and come back to you later.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

No soft questions there C! I'll have to have a think about those and come back to you later.....
    Ha, sorry! Feel free to take them as un-seriously as you like :pac:

eyrie wrote: »

Right so....

Hhhmmm good question C and I'd love to give you some deep and meaningful answer but for me its just running, something I do for enjoyment.
    What I do appreciate though is that a run is just as good for the mind as the body and something I would encourage anyone to do.

A soldier. This would definitely have been influenced by watching movies like Rambo and Predator well before it was age appropriate to do so! Quality parenting back in the 80s!!

Do a wife and 3 kids count as commitments for this question!!

If I was solo it would definitely be to meet up with college friends. Have a game of 5 a side, into town afterwards for food and pints. Its something we do once a year and its always great craic.
    With the family....we were thinking of giving Centre Parcs a weekend visit as our eldest lad was supposed to be making his First Communion in June. Now its closed and the communion will probably be postponed at this stage so a day there with the place to ourselves would be good!

I'm split between leading The Rossies to All Ireland glory or Man Utd to multiple leagues and European Cups.
    I'm lucky enough to have seen the latter and hope to do so again while realistically the former is never going to happen so I'd edge towards the GAA .

That's a tough call. This is a dream scenario so in my head I'd love to experience something totally different lifestyle wise. Something like living in one of those seaside huts on the white sand beaches of somewhere like The Seychelles would be pretty sweet!

Great questions C, I really had to think on those!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

1) Are you in this for the long haul?

2) Solo runs vs running in groups

3) Who has portrayed Batman the best on the big screen? (Clooney doesn't count)

4) Have you ever met anyone famous?

5) When was the last time you wrote a hand-written a letter?

6) Favorite movie quote?

7) Period of history you'd most liked to have lived in and why?

8) Were you in the 'McCarthy' or 'Keane' camp during the Saipan shenanigans in 2002? Has your position ever changed?

10) What's the proudest moment of your life so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Hey CBG,

Are you a private detective, or just a canny sleuth?

Do you haven any pre-race rituals that you complete, even if they make no sense?

5K or Iron Man?

Chocolate or crisps?

Favourite runners?

What book are you reading at the moment?

Favourite training session?

Have you caught up on the DIY list since the lockdown?

Happiest memory?

:)

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    Thanks for the questions K, apologies for the late reply.

1) Are you in this for the long haul?

I'd hope to be K. In the next couple of years I'll be getting progressively busier at home (kids activities and my dad is a farmer who isn't getting any younger) but I'm lucky enough that my job is fairly flexible so I should be able to give the running a nice bit of time.

2) Solo runs vs running in groups

All my runs are done solo. I remember a mate of mine was home from England a few years ago and we did a 7 mile run and I couldn't believe how quickly it flew by while chatting. I could see the benefits of doing the speed sessions and weekend LSRs in a club environment but it doesn't suit me with the kids and my wife working different days each week.

3) Who has portrayed Batman the best on the big screen? (Clooney doesn't count)

I like Clooney, he just exudes coolness in those Ocean's movies. But my God what a truly awful movie Batman and Robin is, like how did anyone think that ice hockey scene at the start was a runner!
    The Burton and Nolan movies are poles apart in their interpretations as are the portrayal's by Keaton and Bale. Personally I prefer the Nolan Universe and that's why I would have to side with Bale.

4) Have you ever met anyone famous?

I was in a niteclub in Carrick on Shannon years ago on a really quiet Friday night with a couple of mates. it was so quiet that you could actually see each individual person arriving in. Suddenly in walks Victor Costello, Reggie Corrigan and Shane Horgan. Full of dutch courage we walked up for their autographs. We got talking to them and they were are really sound lads, eventually ended up drinking with them for the night!

5) When was the last time you wrote a hand-written a letter?

I really had to think on this one K. I don't think I have written a hand written letter to anyone since sending one home from The Gaeltacht an awful long time ago!

6) Favorite movie quote?

Gladiator is one of my favourite movies. I love the pre battle quote from Maximus "What we do in life echoes in eternity".
    Speed sessions will be a lot easier with a pair of wings!

7) Period of history you'd most liked to have lived in and why?

I'm going to cheat a little on this one K!
    In the movie Lucy, Scarlett Johansson does a space time journey into the past from the very place she is sitting. When I seen it I thought it would be cool to do something similar and see what was going on at the very site of my house back through history!

8) Were you in the 'McCarthy' or 'Keane' camp during the Saipan shenanigans in 2002? Has your position ever changed?

I was 100% pro Keane back then K, I idolised the man as a player and he is still my all time favourite. Got into a few verbal rows with people over it all!

I'm not so entrenched in my position these days, even Roy has admitted his mistakes in the whole episode. That was a very soft World Cup when you look at the quality of teams in the semi finals (Brazil aside). he was one of the best in the world at that time, a case of what might have been!

9) What's the proudest moment of your life so far?

Being present for the birth of my 3 kids. For the parents amongst you I doubt I have to say any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

9) What's the proudest moment of your life so far?

Being present for the birth of my 3 kids. For the parents amongst you I doubt I have to say any more.

Haha, in hindsight, it was a pretty silly question! :rolleyes:

As for Clooney, I really like him as an actor too (He's just brilliant in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?) but yeah, Batman and Robin was a true stink-fest.

juke wrote: »
    Hey CBG, :)

Hi J, thanks for the questions and apologies for the late reply!

Are you a private detective, or just a canny sleuth?

:pac::pac: Just a canny sleuth I'm afraid J! I'm one of those freaks that just has a memory for the little things for some reason.

Do you haven any pre-race rituals that you complete, even if they make no sense?

Not really although I would always wear whatever happen to be my favourite socks at the time for a race (currently those Steigen ones that were on offer to DCM19 participants). I'd always bless myself going across the start line. So yeah when I think on it I do have a couple of pre race rituals!
    P.S. I'd also avail of the toilet facilities but I think that's just common sense rather than a ritual!

5K or Iron Man?

It would have to be the 5k.
    It wouldn't be a good look for one of the try a tri events to have me drown during the first leg of one! I'm a very weak swimmer, might manage a length in a pool but I wouldn't fancy being dropped into the middle of the Shannon. I really must do a set of improver lessons, the kids are all way better than me.

Chocolate or crisps?

And now I have finally landed on the toughest question of the whole thread :pac: I'm a disaster for snacking. I have given both up for lent for years now and didn't miss them one single bit but as soon as Easter Sunday lands I'm worse than any kid!
    Tough call but I'd just about side with Chocolate.

Favourite runners?

I have 4 different pairs out in the utility at the moment. 2 of them are Black Friday deals that haven't come out of the box yet apart from making sure they fit. I have a pair of Nike Flyknits for speed sessions that I picked up cheap online last year, they are really comfy so would probably go with them. They are also black and as Lego Batman says "everything starts with black" :pac:

What book are you reading at the moment?

I just start the 10th book in the Jack Reacher series last night.

I have the Trainspotting trilogy on my kindle since Christmas. I read the first one but needed a break away from it. Not from the story itself but its written phonetically in an inner city Scottish accent so takes ages to get into the zone of understanding what the hell Renton and Sick boy are actually talking about!

Have you caught up on the DIY list since the lockdown?

Should I refer to my missus to answer this one! I'm pretty useless when it comes to DIY. I'm almost there on fixing up the garden though. I have absolutely no love for gardening but it needed to be done.

Happiest memory?

I love Christmas so probably waking up when I was young and heading for the sitting room to see what Santa had brought. I'd always spend an age looking under the door and listening for any noise just to make sure I didn't walk in on him :pac:
    I think I was 9 when "Santa" came and rang our doorbell to gift us our presents at about 6pm on Christmas Eve :o That spoiled it and I still give the parents stick about it each year.
    Seemingly it was an idea from the pub a couple of weeks before hand. It involved a neighbour dressing up and delivering the presents to a few different houses around the place. Like it was obvious who it was and I could even see the car he arrived in where the driver was hanging out the window ringing a bell to make it sound like the reindeers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Cheers for letting me twist your arm on that one. Some great answers. BTW I think you will smash that 5k when you take it on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great read. Thanks for taking the time

Advertisement