Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Sitcom Character (US & Canada)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Most votes after 90 Minutes is the winner! Don't forget to give a reason or your vote won't count! Stronger the reason the better!

Semi Final 1

Back to Back battles here for Rachel as she now takes on the eccentric Niles...

Rachel Green (Friends)
    U7QVpP5l.jpg

vs

Niles Crane (Frasier)
    G89uVl5l.jpg

Remember to give a Reason for your vote. Reasons to be taken in to consideration in the event of a tie-break.
    Most Votes after 90 Minutes wins

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

NY v Indiana v Seattle!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rachel.

Hotter, more iconic, part of a much better show imo also.

Also if she's good enough to beat Perry Cox I'm backing her for the overall win.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Niles!!!!!

Because DHP plays him brilliantly. And his interactions with Frasier, and Daphne, and Martin, and Roz in the early seasons when they hated each other. And for his never seen relationship with Maris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Niles, because I would rather a no friends final than an all friends final.

seriously funny character, expertly played, I have a sneaking suspicion that he may be geordi laforges favourite too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Rachel, all the main characters in friends were fun. She seemed down to earth and good humoured, except when on a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rachel, she knows fashion goes from bad waitress to working at Ralph Lauren

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Niles, he was pure brilliance

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Niles Crane. Genuinely one of the funniest characters on TV, very flawed, very funny. His little asides are just brilliant and the diversity of the relationships he has with the rest of the case make him the best character in the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Niles vs Rachel is a tough one. I will go with Rachel, although she would lose to the other Crane if he is still in it. Jennifer Aniston has great comic timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I take thee Rachel. Hot and makes a good trifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BigBlackDog

Niles. Just for his descriptions of Maris.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rachel, she was the only character who didnt grow stale throughout the series, Niles could be a bit repetitive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Rachel mainly cause I'd let Jennifer Aniston do unspeakable things to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Rachel mainly cause I'd let Jennifer Aniston do unspeakable things to me
    let her comfort you and tell you not to worry, it happens to a lot of guys...

yeah, me too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Rachel Green.

From the first moment she walked in Central Perk all dressed in her wedding gown, you could tell that her character would be pivotal in the events coming up.
    I always thought Ross a bit of a twat (excuse my language) so in the whole saga I always found Rachel the more important part of the equation. . . even when they were on a break!!!!
    To quote Ross himself "It's always been you Rach"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Rachael for me icon of the 90s , and needs some reward for all those years in frozen studios !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Niles. His life was a constant competition with Fraiser, he deserves a win.

Also this 5 min clip of Nile accidentally causing a fire is genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpImet3Xwgw&list=RDEpImet3Xwgw&start_radio=1&t=56

(Quality is a bit ****e though)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm gonna have to vote Niles here despite being more familiar with Friends. Rachel Green should not be in the final of a competition for Best Sitcom Character Ever. She'd hardly crack the Top 5 for me in Friends to be honest.

As much as I love Niles (and resent the vocal anti-Frasier sentiments by some people here >_< ) I have to go with Rachel here, for the same reason Trigger gave (though not the bit about Niles being repetitive):
    Trigger wrote: »
    Rachel, she was the only character who didnt grow stale throughout the series

Rachel evolves throughout Friends, whereas the rest of the characters....unevolve? (devolve?)

Monica - becomes unbearably loud, shrill and neurotic
    Phoebe - becomes bitchy, self-absorbed, not someone anyone would want to be friends with
    Joey - literal man child whose selfishness was overindulged, also kind of a creep with women
    Ross - petty jealousy and borderline psychopath, although somewhat redeemed by the end of the show
    Chandler - more consistent than the other four but he was at his best playing off the rest and mocking them, so when they went downhill he also suffered as a result.

Rachel would actually be a worthy winner of the whole competition, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Rachel, from the very first episode as a runaway bride, you know Rachel Green was special. I loved her journey throughout the series (well apart from her fling with joey) she grew so much and became a 90s iconic, I mean who doesn't know Rachel from friends?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sawduck wrote: »
    Rachel, from the very first episode as a runaway bride, you know Rachel Green was special. I loved her journey throughout the series (well apart from her fling with joey) she grew so much and became a 90s iconic, I mean who doesn't know Rachel from friends?

Aye, her fling with Joey was 'Fonz jumps a shark' style writing. And they knew it too, given how quickly they tossed it in the fire in the final season.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

With an 11-7 victory, our first Finalist is Rachel Green as Niles Crane's journey finally comes to a close... Good Night, Sweet Prince!

Semi Final 2

Most votes after 90 Minutes is the winner! Don't forget to give a reason or your vote won't count! Stronger the reason the better!

Will it be an all Friends Final, or does a more recent contender have a shot here...

Chandler Bing (Friends)
    D8ZTkfWl.jpg

vs

Ron Swanson (Parks & Recreation)
    HpS8fY9l.jpg

Remember to give a Reason for your vote. Reasons to be taken in to consideration in the event of a tie-break.
    Most Votes after 90 Minutes wins

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm going to pick Chandler to give us a Friend's finale.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Gotta be Chandler. Everyone's favourite transponster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ron, the man the legend and the tache.. a brilliant character who makes the series what it is, a head of govt who is against government, and he hates those pesky Vegans. Endlessly quotable

"I think I'll have that third steak afterall"

Legand

tenor.gif?itemid=5446012

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I'm quite late to the party here but I'm going to go for Ron Swanson. Whilst I think Chandler has his ups and downs (and also annoys me at times), Ron Swanson is consistent gold. I don't think I'd tire of seeing that man's face on screen. One of my favourite episodes is probably when he has to do all those meetings on one day.

tenor.gif?itemid=4114544

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Chandler for his comical timing. We all want a friendly final.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

For an epic Friends final, Chandler, I mean could he be anymore funnier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Ron, I love chandler too but I'd rather two different shows in the final, plus Ron is a fantastic character and I am pleased he's getting a lot of love on here

Advertisement