Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade cabinet build GPU Question ????

• 29-04-2020 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everybody

I am currently building an arcade cabinet, I want to play Mame , neogeo , Sega genesis And Nes.

Was wondering what type of gpu do I need ?

Was looking at a 128mb gpu for cheap

My cpu is an i5 so that should be fine and I've 8gb ram

Any suggestions welcomed

Thanks in advance

Mike

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If it's an i5, are you sure it has a slot that'll fit a GPU old enough to have 128mb of RAM? Cards that old tend to be AGP or PCI, not PCI-e.

Not particularity well read on arcade builds but why the need for a 128mb card?

Surely you could get all of that to run off of a raspberry pie board or with what you have using on board graphics and something like RetroArch for windows? Last I checked even Kodi let you play games to something like Libreelec running on a pi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ARCADEMANIAC

Hi spear thanks for the reply

this is the gpu im getting Dell Nvidia P280 7300le It says it is PCI-E .

All I want on the cab is arcade games and the 8 bit or 16 bit era anyway

Enfilade wrote: »
    Not particularity well read on arcade builds but why the need for a 128mb card?

Surely you could get all of that to run off of a raspberry pie board or with what you have using on board graphics and something like RetroArch for windows? Last I checked even Kodi let you play games to something like Libreelec running on a pi ?

Hi thanks for the reply

I need any card to get an image from my pc to the screen as there are no outputs on the motherboard I don't want to break the bank on the build as im trying to do everything on the cheap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well here's a full rasperry pi build for you with software; that's about $150 inc. everything and an monitor output from it; it's simply seems you're over complicating things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You should look into switching to MiSTer FPGA.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi thanks for the reply

I need any card to get an image from my pc to the screen as there are no outputs on the motherboard I don't want to break the bank on the build as im trying to do everything on the cheap

Please tell me you're not actually paying money for that card, and it was free.

Nody wrote: »
    Well here's a full ; that's about $150 inc. everything and an monitor output from it; it's simply seems you're over complicating things.

Thanks for the info

I have a pc and a 40 inch tv for it so don't need anything but a graphics card

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You should look into switching to .

OMG that looks so complicated to me lol

Spear wrote: »
    Please tell me you're not actually paying money for that card, and it was free.

I actually went with this

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-7300gs-gv-nx73g256d-rh/p/N82E16814125041

for 20 euros

• Advertisement
Advertisement