Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Damien Tiernan

• 29-04-2020 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I just saw on Facebook Damien has apologised for an interview he conducted yesterday on the Quay with two addicts. He's gotten a lot of stick online. I haven't seen said video but am not surprised by this. He posts a lot on social media and I find his interview skills quite immature at times.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Murphy2020 wrote: »
    I just saw on Facebook Damien has apologised for an interview he conducted yesterday on the Quay with two addicts. He's gotten a lot of stick online. I haven't seen said video but am not surprised by this. He posts a lot on social media and I find his interview skills quite immature at times.

I saw his interview with two drunk lads drinking cans on the quay. I had few cans last night hope I'm not an addict. Yeh string tiernan up never let him work again. Cancel culture nowadays your better off not apologising because what difference does it make. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. He made a mistake and has apologised. How does someone make up fir a mistake nowadays. You yourself went to the bother of making a boards account to comment on a video you said you haven't even seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Gardner

himself and skelton could get a job at the BBC for the remake of the chuckle brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

debok wrote: »
    I saw his interview with two drunk lads drinking cans on the quay. I had few cans last night hope I'm not an addict. Yeh string tiernan up never let him work again. Cancel culture nowadays your better off not apologising because what difference does it make. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. He made a mistake and has apologised. How does someone make up fir a mistake nowadays. You yourself went to the bother of making a boards account to comment on a video you said you haven't even seen.

Why he even had to apologise is lost on me. It appears no one can say or do a thing these days without having to apologise. I dont listen to WLR so i have no idea what happened in the interview but given how easily some snowflakes are offended these days im sure it wasnt all that bad. Would i be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Himself and Skelton always seem to push certain posters buttons on here. Usually that kind of a reaction shows that either they are saying something which is correct and people hate them for it or they are saying something which is correct and they hate themselves for not acknowledging it. Im on the side of both of them, they both deliver fantastic, accurate and skilled articles/interviews so the people of Waterford can hear the truth.

There are a few knobs on here who seem to take everything they both do as personal attacks and insults, quite amusing really to watch them stumble around frothing at the mouth, when im sure the 2 boys Tiernan and Skelton don't even know they exist. :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Two lads having cans as I said above but the op seems to think there addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Addicts lol, did I watch the wrong video?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If it's the video I've seen it sounded like DT was having the bants with then. The fella talking was in decent shape for a junkie.

'we'll soldier on boy'

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Himself and Skelton always seem to push certain posters buttons on here. Usually that kind of a reaction shows that either they are saying something which is correct and people hate them for it or they are saying something which is correct and they hate themselves for not acknowledging it. Im on the side of both of them, they both deliver fantastic, accurate and skilled articles/interviews so the people of Waterford can hear the truth.

There are a few knobs on here who seem to take everything they both do as personal attacks and insults, quite amusing really to watch them stumble around frothing at the mouth, when im sure the 2 boys Tiernan and Skelton don't even know they exist. :D:D:D

Totally correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Speak Now wrote: »
    Addicts lol, did I watch the wrong video?

They surely are, Pat is a nice chap but a complete fruitcake, and the other man is a polite tapper, who is always a couple of quid short for a cup of tea. Tiernan probably the outsider of three in that race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Correction, not "certain posters".. it's one poster in particular and that's Gardner. The rest of your post is spot on :D

Skelton, Keyes and Tiernan are all top notch. We are lucky to have them here!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What did he have to apologise for? Doing a **** interview or?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What I find most annoying about DT is that he suffers a bit with the old 'faux friend' ingratiation. He's shocking for it on the radio, makes a presumption that's unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Tbh, I think Damien likes to push the envelope. Interviewing travellers, getting on sulkys, going over to people who are clearly drunk in public etc. He’s a risk taker - and I think that makes for good radio. Sometimes he’ll get lynched like this week but sure you can’t get it right all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I actually agree with the whole snowflake thing others talked about. If you make any, even minor, mistake you get crucified these days by keyboard warriors. Think Tiernan just made a mistake but generally think he is good. But come on, have you ever read Skelton articles? They are full of “unnamed sources” and “could not get confirmed before going to print”. He comes up with a good headline he wants and fits the facts to suit it. It is complete tabloid sensationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

Damien tiernan/Darren Skelton/Dermot Keyes are the 3 male handbags of waterford.they love the drama/gossip splashing it all over social media and the local papers making themselves out to be important.attention seeking at its finest

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Damien tiernan/Darren Skelton/Dermot Keyes are the 3 male handbags of waterford.they love the drama/gossip splashing it all over social media and the local papers making themselves out to be important.attention seeking at its finest

Or just doing there job. People on here saying they don't listen to wlr or read news and star yet the know every story the lads do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Or just doing there job. People on here saying they don't listen to wlr or read news and star yet the know every story the lads do.

Definitely one on here with a personal gripe. Had a look at video, a complete hullabaloo about nothing,whingers gotta whinge.

Deiseen wrote: »
    Correction, not "certain posters".. it's one poster in particular and that's Gardner. The rest of your post is spot on :D

Skelton, Keyes and Tiernan are all top notch. We are lucky to have them here!

Are we ****! if anyway decent DT would still be with RTE while the other 2 are working for local newspapers which tells its own story, why haven't they been picked up by national media?
    as Muttley79 stated "3 male handbags of waterford" is an excellent description.
    One of Skelton's finest moments on Twitter was when he was bitching at the phone network over not paying his bill for months. What did he expect? 'Hi im Darren, im Waterford's finest and im not paying my bill this month!' What employee does not have a mobile phone from their employer when they are a journalist?
    Another local journalist on social media last night was calling a successful broadcaster "a failed politician and bookie" in retaliation at his €350 covid payment. while in the game twice as long as Ivan Yates, i cannot for the life of me remember that local journalist ever producing/facilitating an interview etc that you look back on and say that was decent or thats a podcast that you would listen back to again. But then again he has bought himself 150 likes and personnel pat on the back. probably a few on here liked it also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I know the lad in the cap. In fact he went to school with me. He was an excellent hurler and played for a local club.

• Advertisement

I know the lad in the cap. In fact he went to school with me. He was an excellent hurler and played for a local club.

What happened to him? Is he homeless or working etc? He could be a top lad for all I know, I just wonder what has him hanging around the Quay drinking cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

At least Damien Tiernan and Dermot Keyes are actual Journalists. How Darren Skelton was given a job by the News and Star is beyond me. What qualifies him write for them? He didn’t study Journalism, as far as I know has no prior experience and has somehow wound up writing front page content for them.

Motivator wrote: »
    At least Damien Tiernan and Dermot Keyes are actual Journalists. How Darren Skelton was given a job by the News and Star is beyond me. What qualifies him write for them? He didn’t study Journalism, as far as I know has no prior experience and has somehow wound up writing front page content for them.

he's not the only one at the news and star without qualifications. Just go to the sports section

Darren Skelton must be a millionaire. He is able to live completely rent-free 24/7 in some peoples heads. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I thought I was having deja vu, read that exact same comment on the Reddit link though I'm nearly sure. Same person maybe

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Gardner wrote: »
    he's not the only one at the news and star without qualifications. Just go to the sports section

Good god boy, give it a rest will ya. :rolleyes:

Your constant whingeing , sniping, personal attacks , and down right begrudgery is really tiresome in all threads .
    You hate Waterford, most things in it , and most people there.
    We get the message..... :cool:

Maybe smile , and lighten up ? You'll feel better.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

Here's an example for you of them supposedly doing their job!!The news and star a few weeks ago was obviously in trouble to come up with a story to sensationalise the front page of the paper.they get a woman who reports for them to leave her estate,walk over to another estate on a Saturday night to hide behind a car,ring the guards wasting their time and takes a picture at an angle claiming they were all grouped together outside somebody's house playing music till the all hours of the morning.meanwhile it turns out none of this was true.there was no music and they were sitting at their own homes but the angle it was taken at makes them look as if they were all together.this goes out on the front page of a 'local' newspaper and Damien tiernan runs with the story.now to me that's not doing a job that's coming up desperately with anything to sell the local paper.honestly yeah wouldn't get it from the sun paper

Here's an example for you of them supposedly doing their job!!The news and star a few weeks ago was obviously in trouble to come up with a story to sensationalise the front page of the paper.they get a woman who reports for them to leave her estate,walk over to another estate on a Saturday night to hide behind a car,ring the guards wasting their time and takes a picture at an angle claiming they were all grouped together outside somebody's house playing music till the all hours of the morning.meanwhile it turns out none of this was true.there was no music and they were sitting at their own homes but the angle it was taken at makes them look as if they were all together.this goes out on the front page of a 'local' newspaper and Damien tiernan runs with the story.now to me that's not doing a job that's coming up desperately with anything to sell the local paper.honestly yeah wouldn't get it from the sun paper

Did the gardai do her for falsely reporting a crime?
    Which edition was this in must have a look.

Sorry now just trying to get this straight in my head but did they actually just randomly pick a house in an estate and send the woman ? Like as in just go to the next estate closest to you hide behind a car and take picture if you see someone grouped together?

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Good god boy, give it a rest will ya. :rolleyes:

Your constant whingeing , sniping, personal attacks , and down right begrudgery is really tiresome in all threads .
    You hate Waterford, most things in it , and most people there.
    We get the message..... :cool:

Maybe smile , and lighten up ? You'll feel better.

Ever hear the expression don't feed the troll? That's exactly what you are doing and giving him/her/it the attention it craves. Trolls wither and die when not given attention and although some of the whingeing on here is annoying, equally annoying is the complete and utter failure of people to just not bite...

Advertisement