Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reg check - MG Midget

• 29-04-2020 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently at the end of a restoration of an MG midget which I purchased last year (picture attached)

The man I brought it from didn't have the log book as he never got it from the previous owner so I'm in the process of sorting that out now.

Does any one know of the history of this car?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Ryano87 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently at the end of a restoration of an MG midget which I purchased last year (picture attached)

The man I brought it from didn't have the log book as he never got it from the previous owner so I'm in the process of sorting that out now.

Cheers

Afraid not but good god that looks stunning. Have you build photos up somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

Afraid not but good god that looks stunning. Have you build photos up somewhere?

Thanks - I have lots on my phone I will create an album over the next week and post the link here.

I tried the motor tax link with the reg in the change of owner section but it doesn't even recognize the make / model which I've never seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Nothing useful to add.

She's beautiful! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Nothing useful to add.

She's beautiful! Well done.

What he said.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It looks like a VLC was never processed for this Car.
    It was probably brought in from the UK, then cleared by Revenue and a reg number assigned.
    The VLC would have been issued after it was first taxed. This looks like the Car was never taxed and consequently a VLC doesn't exist.
    I believe that it used to be possible to get the owner's details changed on the VRT form prior to first taxing (I certainly have done this twice, but it was over ten years ago)....not sure what the procedure is nowadays, especially as you are missing the Form supplied by either Revenue or NCT/VRT.
    A phone call to Shannon might point you in the right direction....

BTW, I sold a Mini project (with a Brown Logbook) about 3 years ago. It had been off the road for many years but I was able to see the change of ownership on the Cornmarket Insurance site from when I put it in my name 2 years earlier. Also the "Details incorrect" reply on Motortax.ie is different than what I get from your Reg. Even though the Mini has been off the road for a long time it still shows up on cartell. Try 756 DZD and see the difference on motortax.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

The man I brought it from didn't have the log book as he never got it from the previous owner

Did the man you bought it from own it?

w124man wrote: »
    Did the man you bought it from own it?

Yes he did. And had done for a number of years

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It looks like a VLC was never processed for this Car.
    It was probably brought in from the UK, then cleared by Revenue and a reg number assigned.
    The VLC would have been issued after it was first taxed. This looks like the Car was never taxed and consequently a VLC doesn't exist.
    I believe that it used to be possible to get the owner's details changed on the VRT form prior to first taxing (I certainly have done this twice, but it was over ten years ago)....not sure what the procedure is nowadays, especially as you are missing the Form supplied by either Revenue or NCT/VRT.
    A phone call to Shannon might point you in the right direction....

BTW, I sold a Mini project (with a Brown Logbook) about 3 years ago. It had been off the road for many years but I was able to see the change of ownership on the Cornmarket Insurance site from when I put it in my name 2 years earlier. Also the "Details incorrect" reply on Motortax.ie is different than what I get from your Reg. Even though the Mini has been off the road for a long time it still shows up on cartell. Try 756 DZD and see the difference on motortax.ie.

Thanks a million for your reply. I'll get onto Shannon regarding the status. I know there is a form where I can get witnessed by a solicitor and the car inspected by a garage in order to transfer ownership which is the route I'll probably go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

This forum hints that it might be easy enough;
    http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?23475-Change-of-Ownership-with-no-Logbook

Funnily enough the Poster who seems to have managed it has the same name (without spaces) as somebody on boards....same guy I'm sure (he is mainly active on Cars & Bikes here too)

edit; worth a PM to him to confirm the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Hard to get a full view of that from pics but Is it a Cherry Red metallic?

Looks fantastic.

My Father has a 64 Midget

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Cheers

***CAN A MOD PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD PLEASE***

Advertisement