Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isolation Cocktails

• 24-04-2020 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else indulging in occasional (or frequent) cocktails at this time?
    We're enjoying 5 o clock, pre dinner cocktails far too often!

The biggest hit has been Gin Rickys.
    Traditionally just gin, lime juice and soda water - I've added a tiny bit of elderflower cordial and a bit of mint!

We've had Red Snappers - Bloody Mary with gin instead of vodka.

There's also been the odd Mojito - mine are made with a mix of lemon and lime juice, young and aged rum, and bitters (and mint, of course).

So anyone got any cocktails they'd like to share?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Been having the odd whiskey or rum sour myself. We've a mint plant coming along nicely now so will start to get the odd mojito and mint julep going soon. Need to get myself some good bitters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

Made some fab whiskey sours there last weekend but they use too much alcohol and go down too easy so between two of us got through 70% of a bottle and woke up with a headache. I used: Roe & Coe, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup with lemon zest added, egg white. In the shaker with ice. I always add extra lemon juice as I like it to be real sour.

My otherwise go to is an ol margarita, silver tequila, cointreu and lime juice. I skip the sugar in these becuase, again, I love sour.

Would defo be interested in seeing some at home recipes, I dont have kit other than the shaker really but plenty of booze in the cupboard to experiment with!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,745 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Roe & Co have some great cocktail ideas on the site.
    https://www.roeandcowhiskey.com/cocktails/

This one for a Whiskey mojito seems to have gone from the site so bumping here:
    • 2 oz Roe & Co Irish Whiskey
    • ¼ oz fresh Lime Juice
    • ½ oz Pear Nectar (I used Granini Pear juice)
    • 8 Mint Leaves
    • Build and churn with crushed ice. Top up with soda water.

Problem it was too drinkable... you'd need to make a jug of the stuff in one go was getting through it so quickly :)

For sipping... something like a Manhattan, or what I make is really a Cosmpolitan but with single malt Scotch as a base.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been invited to a virtual cocktail party tomorrow night, so I'll be going vodka shopping in the afternoon! I usually make White Russians when I do cocktails, but have the ingredients for a decent Old Fashioned here too.

And a friend sent me a recipe for a simple Espresso Martini, so of course I'll have to try one of those at some stage.

I think I've just enough gin left for a Tom Collins, if there's a bit of sunshine tomorrow evening...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Teeling have shared this coffee cocktail recipe which sounds nice too.

https://www.twitter.com/TeelingWhiskey/status/1254016073302769664

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Baileys
    Kahlua
    Vodka
    Cointreau
    Espresso

Shake and pour over crushed ice.

Repeat then go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I do most of my cocktail making and drinking in work so have very limited stocks to go on at home the last month or so. Only cocktail I've been making is a kind of Old Fashioned, with Jameson Seaweed Bitters and Connemara Peated Whiskey. The bitters are a little salty which I like with the peat.

Have some gin too so I'll be having a few Tom Collins when I pick up lemons and soda water tomorrow.

Wish I'd taken a few bottles home with now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Try a whiskey sour with Slane - the "herby" flavour of the whiskey really adds to it.

I made this one yesterday, ideally suited to the warm day:

- mash a few frozen raspberries with one measure each of gin and vodka
    - add in the juice of a lime, mix well
    - pour over ice and then over that, pour in a can of 7 up

Make sure you use plenty of ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,745 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I use the below as a base for a 'highball' version of something that starts as an approximation of an Old Fashioned, topped with a dash of cola.
    • 2 oz single malt Scotch e.g. Glenlivet founders reserve, Talisker skye
    • 1 oz vermouth rosso e.g. Martini
    • 1 oz orange liqueur e.g. Cointreau or triple sec
    • 1 dash agnostura bitters
    • Squeeze juice of 1 lime wedge
    • Ice

* I've used bourbon or Black Bush instead of the Scotch, just I have some 1L bottles of non age statement single malt Scotch you could pick up cheap on the Continent, pre- lockdown.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Simple Moscow Mule, out side of that a cocktail of wine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement