Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Merlin Park Woods

• 25-04-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭

Took a walk in Merlin Park Woods today as it's within my 2km limit. What a shame this place is. It's like a landfill disguised as a park/woods. Seriously ome of the dirtiest littered places I've been to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Took a walk in Merlin Park Woods today as it's within my 2km limit. What a shame this place is. It's like a landfill disguised as a park/woods. Seriously ome of the dirtiest littered places I've been to.

Where exactly is all this rubbish you mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I walked there not long ago and didn't see any rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

biko wrote: »
    I walked there not long ago and didn't see any rubbish.

Seriously? It's absolutely disgusting.

Where exactly is all this rubbish you mention?

Everywhere around all the trails. Around the castle. Saw at least 3 fire sites littered with beer cand and food wrappers. It's extremely dirty. It should be a brilliant amenity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Im there several times a week, didn't see a scrap of litter two days ago. Its possible that the good weather brought a few teens together and you came across the leftovers.

No idea where you are going with the thread though, landfill remark is just bizarre..

• Advertisement

Everywhere around all the trails. Around the castle. Saw at least 3 fire sites littered with beer cand and food wrappers. It's extremely dirty. It should be a brilliant amenity.

The 'castle' end of the woods does unfortunately see some littering.. some people just dont care ( you can guess who). I normally see very very litter on the various trails

Damiencm wrote: »
    No idea where you are going with the thread though, landfill remark is just bizarre..

It shocked me how bad it is, you couldn't look around you without seeing rubbish. It should be a great place for walks and cycles and a small bit of nature in the city. The council need to get tough on litterers. The whole area around doughiska seems to be getting dirtier and dirtier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know there are a group of volunteers that are always doing clean up in this area. The woods has a very active community group. I thought I saw that the woods was closed to the public? Maybe the community volunteers have been adhering to this and haven't been in? Maybe someone on here knows?

inisboffin wrote: »
    I know there are a group of volunteers that are always doing clean up in this area. The woods has a very active community group. I thought I saw that the woods was closed to the public? Maybe the community volunteers have been adhering to this and haven't been in? Maybe someone on here knows?

Fair play to them. I'd be interested in joining as i can see myself going for walks there more often if it can be cleaned up. Any idea who to getvin touch with?

Fair play to them. I'd be interested in joining as i can see myself going for walks there more often if it can be cleaned up. Any idea who to getvin touch with?

Search 'friends of merlin woods' on facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A recent post from Friends of Merlin Woods - ref: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FriendsofMerlinWoods/permalink/1638789569603486/

says among other things:
    The woods are closed at the moment. There is no one staffing the woods so litter won't be picked up. We don't have full time staff working here from the council . At present there is one person available for all of the woods across the city for all the problems.

City council parks are closed all over the city. They don't have the resources to physically seal 'em all off. But they are still closed. Stay out of them. If you aren't making an essential journey, or taking brief exercise (not just a stroll), then stay home. It's simple. It's effective.

I've no problem with people taking safe strolls etc, but in the case of the woods the volunteer group can't do their usual rounds as a community group. I haven't been over in a while but they do an excellent job, and I am sure would love more help when the woods open.

A recent post from Friends of Merlin Woods - ref: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FriendsofMerlinWoods/permalink/1638789569603486/

says among other things:

City council parks are closed all over the city. They don't have the resources to physically seal 'em all off. But they are still closed. Stay out of them. If you aren't making an essential journey, or taking brief exercise (not just a stroll), then stay home. It's simple. It's effective.

For sure. I see that the pitches and playgrounds have signs up but I didn't see any signs where I entered. I live very close by and was getting my daily walk in.

I've no problem with people taking safe strolls etc, but in the case of the woods the volunteer group can't do their usual rounds as a community group. I haven't been over in a while but they do an excellent job, and I am sure would love more help when the woods open.
    Thanks for the info. Not really on facebook but will check it out. As I'll be working from home I'll get the chance to go for walks locally due to less commuting time. It has the potential to be a fantastic area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

For sure. I see that the pitches and playgrounds have signs up but I didn't see any signs where I entered. I live very close by and was getting my daily walk in.

It's no worse than normal. There was a bit extra rubbish last weekend but that was because it hadn't been collected. I'd say the same thing has happened again this weekend. But you op is way too dramatised. It's no worse than any other wooded area in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

It shocked me how bad it is, you couldn't look around you without seeing rubbish. It should be a great place for walks and cycles and a small bit of nature in the city. The council need to get tough on litterers. The whole area around doughiska seems to be getting dirtier and dirtier.

The council, or indeed AGS, are never gonna get tough on the fly tippers in this area, sure it’s their culture boss!
    Also a lot of bush drinking at bonfires in that area, and they don’t tend to take their empty cans or bottles with them.

Alas this is very unfortunate, as it is a beautiful amenity and the volunteer groups do an amazing job trying to maintain it, and I would imagine, take great pride in their work.

It's no worse than normal. There was a bit extra rubbish last weekend but that was because it hadn't been collected. I'd say the same thing has happened again this weekend. But you op is way too dramatised. It's no worse than any other wooded area in the city

It's definitely worse than any other wooded area I've been in recently. It's not a slight on the area or groups working to clean the area. They are doing good. It's the dirty feckers that can't take their rubbish home with them.

It's definitely worse than any other wooded area I've been in recently. It's not a slight on the area or groups working to clean the area. They are doing good. It's the dirty feckers that can't take their rubbish home with them.

The woods are closed right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're not allowed to have been in any other wooded areas, apart from Aunteen and Uncleen Woods, lately. Am thinking you don't have a great basis for comparison.

You're not allowed to have been in any other wooded areas, apart from Aunteen and Uncleen Woods, lately. Am thinking you don't have a great basis for comparison.

Recently extends beyond covid 19 and I'm entitled to compare what I've experienced. It was extremely dirty today. I'm not sure what the motivation is to deny it. It was bad but let's try to make it better.

• Advertisement

Recently extends beyond covid 19 and I'm entitled to compare what I've experienced. It was extremely dirty today. I'm not sure what the motivation is to deny it. It was bad but let's try to make it better.

Deffo make it better but I think what people are trying to say is the woods are closed, they are a lovely amenity and you did come in quite strong with critique.
    The positive is you will be one of the people going for walks and picking up rubbish with the gang once they open. They are a lovely bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I thought litter picks in the woods had been suspended because i thought the Woods were supposed to be officially shut.
    I haven't been in to check cos i thought that.
    Was announced to9 be a couple of weeks ago though partially because it suddenly had a lot of people going down there when the weather got good around the turn of the month

There's also a community garden dopwn there on the Doughiska side next to the Council compound that may need som ehelp once tehy allow people back in there.

The one major drag at the moment is that I think the location of the allotments, elsewhere inside the Merlin Woods area means that people who could be looking after their own food production can't do that. Would hope that could be revised. & hope that nothing is being damaged in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Coming off the doughiska rd, how do I get to Merlin Woods?

I thought the point was you don't cos it's closed.
    If it was open there is an entrance behind the adventure playground o the Merlin Woods fields between Fiaran Ri and the other side of the park.
    There is also an entrance at the end of the road at the top of teh hill towards teh Dublin rd, th eone that runs into the back of Merlin park Hospital.
    BUt I thought the Woods were officiiallly closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Stevolende wrote: »
    I thought the point was you don't cos it's closed.
    If it was open there is an entrance behind the adventure playground o the Merlin Woods fields between Fiaran Ri and the other side of the park.
    There is also an entrance at the end of the road at the top of teh hill towards teh Dublin rd, th eone that runs into the back of Merlin park Hospital.
    BUt I thought the Woods were officiiallly closed.
    Ty,
    I have a child who wants to have their bday party in/around the castle at the halloween bank hol.

I dont know the area and the maps didnt make sense.

They are officially closed. There are signs at the major entrances.
    But there are smaller local entrances that probably don't have signs.

The Castle is on the far side of the Woods from Doughiska, even if the estate closest to the Woods is called Caislean Thorlaigh on the Doughiska side. I think the name comes straight from the historic landmark.
    It's actually within about 100 m of the entrance on the Mervue/Ballybane side. Not sure how safe it is to park that side cos I've never had to

Merlin Woods are closed.
    No-one should go there to have birthday parties or look for rubbish.

I understand people may want to venture in anyway, but this forum will not facilitate that.

• Advertisement

Advertisement