Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HAM First QSO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Hi Shyboy

QRM got the better of us so we are going to try 60m, do you have 60m ?

Shyboy what's the story pal not making it ?

I'm on 5.363 now. "USB"

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

Yeh serious QRM but Great while it lasted.. just to many on the Band and too close..

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Hi Shyboy

QRM got the better of us so we are going to try 60m, do you have 60m ?

Hmm....I don't think the FT450 that I have has the 60m band?

Which frequency are you going to try?

Malmsteen wrote: »
    Listening here on my FRG7700 5/6 clear in Co.Clare... and 5/9 plus on HackGreen just wish I could join in on the QSO but will enjoy listening....
    Yeh serious QRM but Great while it lasted.. just to many on the Band and too close..

You'll be able to join in before you know it..... ;)

See if you can get us on 60 lads.

Shyboy can you try tune up on 60m ?

• Advertisement

Shyboy what's the story pal not making it ?

I'm on 5.363 now. "USB"

OK guys, I am on the frequency now. I am getting you Miracle Bald Wallaby 5/3.

Let's see if I can make it over to you.

5.364 lads due to qrm.

5634 desperate QRM and a couple of Italian stations stomping all over you...good luck if you find another freq. 73s for now...

3.631 lads ?

Good QSO again lads, cheers for getting on.

60m was great while it lasted, real shame the band is very narrow.

I think Top Band would be great.

Anyway 73's for now.

• Advertisement

Nearly another week, time flying, who's up for 80m QSO tomorrow night ? 21:00 ?

Hi ML

Just got in from the garden, boards has been so slow at times I have not been checking.

Hopefully I will be out of the bath in time for the QSO.

Speak later.

Grand, I’ll make my way to the shack and post the frequency here around 8:50

3.608 grab it fast.

Hear you 5/7 on the New Rig MadLad with a longwire I put up earlier today, can just about hear H in the noise which is a pity anyway guys enjoy your QSO have to go QRT for now...

Hear you 5/7 on the New Rig MadLad with a longwire I put up earlier today, can just about hear H in the noise which is a pity anyway guys enjoy your QSO have to go QRT for now...

Thanks for the report, I assume my signal is skipping over you, where are you located, I am West Kerry ? Looking forward to the day you can join our chat too.

73s.

Hi ML

Just got in from the garden, boards has been so slow at times I have not been checking.

Hopefully I will be out of the bath in time for the QSO.

Speak later.

Sorry guys, did not get near the radio at the weekend as painting the house plus a few other bits. I will keep any eye on the forum if you are getting on next week?

I did try 20m by chance on Sunday night at about Midnight and got my first US contact, couldn't believe how strong the US and Canada were coming in.

I always thought 20m was only usable during the day, how wrong I was???

Thanks for the report, I assume my signal is skipping over you, where are you located, I am West Kerry ? Looking forward to the day you can join our chat too.

73s.

I'm in the Banner County so maybe to close to catch your transmission, and yes looking forward to getting involved in a Ragchew, hopefully after the next Dublin sitting ;-)
    Will be listening as always - take care in these strange times.
    best 73.

Shyboy wrote: »
    Sorry guys, did not get near the radio at the weekend as painting the house plus a few other bits. I will keep any eye on the forum if you are getting on next week?

I did try 20m by chance on Sunday night at about Midnight and got my first US contact, couldn't believe how strong the US and Canada were coming in.

I always thought 20m was only usable during the day, how wrong I was???

Congrats on your first U.S contact, it's great when they call back your callsign isn't it ?

20m this time of the year can be good until 22:00 or after.

I got to Barbados on 20m at around 23:00 on the 30th April. He was running 100 watts too and was a good signal.

I got to Brazil on 15m last Wednesday around 18:30, first DX contact on 15m, I was delighted. I have got to South America several time now but mostly on 40m.

I wasn't sure the myantennas.com EFHW-8010 worked too good on 15m but now I know it does, that antenna never fails to amaze me for just a wire antenna, conditions were obviously good, this is the issue the last number of years due to our hibernating Sun, hopefully it will wake up in the next few years rather than decades, however, in the meantime there's plenty of DX to catch.

Keep checking the bands, chances are if you hear FT8 activity then the band is open so don't be afraid to call CQ, this is another issue, People don't want to call CQ but you have a good chance of making contacts if you call CQ because People are watching their scopes/waterfalls for activity and if the band is open someone will hear you. You could be calling CQ for 10 mins but once you make that contact chances are others will hear and try contact you too.

It's much harder as a 100 watt station to be heard over 1.5 Kw Italian and Spanish stations shouting at the top of their voices and it takes a lot of the fun out of it, what's the point if such power makes it so easy ? anyway, the more you call CQ DX the more likely you are to make contacts to U.S/Canada or even South America because you won't be competing with those high power stations.

You'll most likely need to be on later in the evening/night but if you got time why not call CQ DX during the day too.

All good for tomorrow night lads ? same time ?

20:50 I'll post the frequency.

• Advertisement

I am in ....

Well have a good topic from boards to discuss for sure!!

Well have a good topic from boards to discuss for sure!!

Madlad, I am going to have to cry off the QSO.

There are big thunderstorms forecast (right on top of us here), I am going to unplug everything and drop the masts. As you know I am high up in the mountains and we have been hit twice before. I imagine the QRM will be bad too...

Shame.

Madlad, I am going to have to cry off the QSO.

There are big thunderstorms forecast (right on top of us here), I am going to unplug everything and drop the masts. As you know I am high up in the mountains and we have been hit twice before. I imagine the QRM will be bad too...

Shame.

Fair enough, another time. ;)

Congrats on your first U.S contact, it's great when they call back your callsign isn't it ?

20m this time of the year can be good until 22:00 or after.

I got to Barbados on 20m at around 23:00 on the 30th April. He was running 100 watts too and was a good signal.

I got to Brazil on 15m last Wednesday around 18:30, first DX contact on 15m, I was delighted. I have got to South America several time now but mostly on 40m.

I wasn't sure the myantennas.com EFHW-8010 worked too good on 15m but now I know it does, that antenna never fails to amaze me for just a wire antenna, conditions were obviously good, this is the issue the last number of years due to our hibernating Sun, hopefully it will wake up in the next few years rather than decades, however, in the meantime there's plenty of DX to catch.

Keep checking the bands, chances are if you hear FT8 activity then the band is open so don't be afraid to call CQ, this is another issue, People don't want to call CQ but you have a good chance of making contacts if you call CQ because People are watching their scopes/waterfalls for activity and if the band is open someone will hear you. You could be calling CQ for 10 mins but once you make that contact chances are others will hear and try contact you too.

It's much harder as a 100 watt station to be heard over 1.5 Kw Italian and Spanish stations shouting at the top of their voices and it takes a lot of the fun out of it, what's the point if such power makes it so easy ? anyway, the more you call CQ DX the more likely you are to make contacts to U.S/Canada or even South America because you won't be competing with those high power stations.

You'll most likely need to be on later in the evening/night but if you got time why not call CQ DX during the day too.

Thanks Miracle Bald Wallaby. Yeah, definitely was great when he read my callsign back. Funnily enough, I heard a different US station working a station from Barbados as well shortly after, but I could just about hear him.

I must try 15M. Have flicked around it from time to time, but dead. Must put some time aside to call CQ DX, not just rely on existing pile-up's, etc.

Your myantennas.com EFHW-8010 does get rave reviews from what I've read, and from what you say, well deserved.

All good for tomorrow night lads ? same time ?

20:50 I'll post the frequency.

I must look at the forecast here to make sure there are no thunderstorms forecast for the west? Would it be safe to QSO if the thunderstorm is in another part of the country, seeing as I don't have the antenna earthed as yet?

QRM permitting...I can give it a shot at about 9.00pm...

Shyboy wrote: »
    I must look at the forecast here to make sure there are no thunderstorms forecast for the west? Would it be safe to QSO if the thunderstorm is in another part of the country, seeing as I don't have the antenna earthed as yet?

QRM permitting...I can give it a shot at about 9.00pm...

I wouldn't worry too much if it's far enough away, if you can hear Thunder I would unplug but to be honest I would leave unplugged from the radio when not in use anyway especially when not earthed as static can build up regardless and damage the radio. If you can't ground the antenna just yet then try get the radio earthed. Use a thick wire or flat braid to connect to a copper plate in the shack then to the ground rod or two ground rods connected together with the same thick flat braid.

Ok lads, antenna connected back up, Thunder just rumbling but far away never came to much here not even a drop of rain.

So normal time for me, so we'll aim for around 3640-3700 again.

Let me know if ye can't make it, I'll post frequency around 20:50.

Ok lads, antenna connected back up, Thunder just rumbling but far away never came to much here not even a drop of rain.

So normal time for me, so we'll aim for around 3640-3700 again.

Let me know if ye can't make it, I'll post frequency around 20:50.

Was watching lightningmaps.org all day and my word did poor Kerry get its fair share of Electricity today... Had my antenna's all disconnected as had a some thunder/lightning very close just after 5 but all quiet again and a cracking evening so Antenna's all hooked back up.... so will be listening if you can get in past the Contesters that are packing the bands tonite..

• Advertisement

Mast is still down (so glad I dropped it), going to leave it down tonight.

This was earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So2JVX256r0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuCzrxgPxQo

Have a good QSO

Advertisement