Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6.5x55 Target ammo

• 25-04-2020 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi lads im looking for some decent Target ammo for a 6.5x55 ive rang a few places and unfortunately some seem to really not understand the difference between 6.5x55 and 6.5 creedmore, including one shop telling me my 6.5x55 was worthless and ammo cant be got....:rolleyes:
    I see Mcbrides have Lapua im just looking at what else is out there so i can see what the rifle likes, after S&B if at all possible as personally ive had great luck with them and the SPs were what i was using for deer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭LONG DRAG

Hi lads im looking for some decent Target ammo for a 6.5x55 ive rang a few places and unfortunately some seem to really not understand the difference between 6.5x55 and 6.5 creedmore, including one shop telling me my 6.5x55 was worthless and ammo cant be got....:rolleyes:
    I see Mcbrides have Lapua im just looking at what else is out there so i can see what the rifle likes, after S&B if at all possible as personally ive had great luck with them and the SPs were what i was using for deer

What's wrong with Lauua, its top class ammo, and has been for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

LONG DRAG wrote: »
    What's wrong with Lauua, its top class ammo, and has been for a long time.

As above nothings wrong with it i have a couple boxes but i would like to try a few variety's of ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I only ever used the 139gr Lapua in 6.5x55 and found them very good. I am finding them hard got these days myself.
    The only difference I see between the Swede and the Creed is the length of action. As far as I am concerned the Swede will do the same job as the Creed, but no doubt I will be told otherwise.
    Been using the 6.5x55 for over 20 years, its a great calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭badaj0z

solarwinds wrote: »
    Been using the 6.5x55 for over 20 years, its a great calibre.

Absolutely correct. The only real differences between them are action length and current trendiness which translates to cost(higher for anything to do with the Creedmore). The 139 gn Lapua scenar is a magnificent round and highly accurate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The Lapua Scenar were my go to round for the 16 or si years i had a 6.5x55. They were mostly consistent and an excellent round out to 600 yards. They did start to falter after that and once past 800 they showed their "weakness" against handloaded stuff. In all my years of shooting it i only had one box that were inconsistent. Got two rounds out of the box of 20 that were 200fps slower than all the other rounds. The odd part, which also helped explain the problem, was the two rounds were beside each other and both the slower rounds were the exact same speed as each other while still 200fps slower than the other 18.

Anyway, the other round i used which was cheaper to buy, plentiful and great for hunting too was the Fusion (Federal) 140gr sp. While the Scenar, at the time i bought them, were €42 per box the Fusion were €30. Now they Scenar are over €50 i believe and the Fusion are in the €40 mark.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement