Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing gun modifications

Options
  • 24-04-2020 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Howdy,

Something similar may have been asked already, so please forgive me and/or delete this if necessary!

I'm looking to import a conversion kit for my Mosin Nagant from Ukraine and want to know if there is anything I need to be aware of. E.g. will it be seized by customs?? :confused:

I've been told by a few other gun owning friends that there shouldn't be any issues as the kit doesn't change the rate of fire (it's obviously still a bolt action) and the magazine capacity will stay the same. However, I thought I better ask here in case anyone else had any problems importing mods.

For reference this is what I'd like to get;

https://thearmsguide.com/14160/new-mosin-nagant-chassis-system-market/

I love my Mosin, but I'd like to try a modernized version (don't worry, it can easily be changed back to the original stock :rolleyes:).

Any and all advice welcome! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

TheConway wrote: »
    I'm looking to import a conversion kit for my Mosin Nagant ...........

https://thearmsguide.com/14160/new-mosin-nagant-chassis-system-market/

........ but I'd like to try a modernized version (don't worry, it can easily be changed back to the original stock :rolleyes:).

Correct me if i'm wrong but its just a stock you're looking to import? Not trying to be pedantic, just a conversion kit signifies a change of the functioning of the firearm and the link shows only a modular chassis system.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheConway

Cass wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong but its just a stock you're looking to import? Not trying to be pedantic, just a conversion kit signifies a change of the functioning of the firearm and the link shows only a modular chassis system.

Apologies, I guess it would literally be a 'modular chassis system'. Are there any issues under Irish gun law regarding importing this kinda thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Apologies, I guess it would literally be a 'modular chassis system'. Are there any issues under Irish gun law regarding importing this kinda thing?

As far as I know you're grand. You haven't changed the operation of the firearm. Alot of lads have the chassis.

No need for apologies, i was just clarifying that it was the stock and not something else in case the link was to the wrong item or i wasn't reading it correctly.

Component parts of a firearm need an import license. Now it has been argued here, many times, whether a stock is a component part as the gun will function perfectly well without one. Having said that even a screw on the firearm is, technically, a component part but you wouldn't get stopped for trying to import a screw.

Your firearm license is your authorisation for the stock and as stock are not serialised, they don't firearm a projectile, etc. they have been brought in many times without the need for an import.

I would contact the company that sells them and ask them do they need an import license or any other sort of documentation to export the stock. If they don't then that is one hurdle done.

Next is to send an e-mail to the Department of Justice. The import form has no space or area to fill in for a stock so my thinking is you'll be fine, but my opinion is not going to cover you if it is seized.

Finally there is always the option, which others have done, of just buying and importing the stock. If it's stopped by customs they will contact you to produce a license for it. You can either go up or e-mail them a copy of your firearms license which is your authorisation to have the stock and perhaps pay any duties on it at which point they should send it on to you.

The quickest option is to go to an RFD you may know and have them import it for you, but this could increase the costs involved.

Apologies if none of the above gives a clear and definitive answer but the problem is the law is not clear and definitive so every case of someone importing has been a trial case with few having issues and there never being a court case which finally settles it.

In short your options are:
    1. Import away and produce license if it gets stopped at customs here.
    2. Import after contacting the DoJ for clarification and getting any paperwork necessary
    3. Import using an RFD
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It will be fine theyre in the EU it wont be looked at as it will already pass through their customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

juice1304 wrote: »
    It will be fine theyre in the EU it wont be looked at as it will already pass through their customs.

Just bought a knife from the UK (5.5 inch fixed blade) and it was opened by customs here before been sent on to me.
    Two 'Trigger Housing Pins' for a shotgun from the US spent nearly two weeks in customs before arriving at my door. The package was also opened by Customs. Other international parcels being delivered to the house over the last month haven't been opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheConway

Cass wrote: »
    No need for apologies, i was just clarifying that it was the stock and not something else in case the link was to the wrong item or i wasn't reading it correctly.

Component parts of a firearm need an import license. Now it has been argued here, many times, whether a stock is a component part as the gun will function perfectly well without one. Having said that even a screw on the firearm is, technically, a component part but you wouldn't get stopped for trying to import a screw.

Your firearm license is your authorisation for the stock and as stock are not serialised, they don't firearm a projectile, etc. they have been brought in many times without the need for an import.

I would contact the company that sells them and ask them do they need an import license or any other sort of documentation to export the stock. If they don't then that is one hurdle done.

Next is to send an e-mail to the Department of Justice. The import form has no space or area to fill in for a stock so my thinking is you'll be fine, but my opinion is not going to cover you if it is seized.

Finally there is always the option, which others have done, of just buying and importing the stock. If it's stopped by customs they will contact you to produce a license for it. You can either go up or e-mail them a copy of your firearms license which is your authorisation to have the stock and perhaps pay any duties on it at which point they should send it on to you.

The quickest option is to go to an RFD you may know and have them import it for you, but this could increase the costs involved.

Apologies if none of the above gives a clear and definitive answer but the problem is the law is not clear and definitive so every case of someone importing has been a trial case with few having issues and there never being a court case which finally settles it.

In short your options are:
    1. Import away and produce license if it gets stopped at customs here.
    2. Import after contacting the DoJ for clarification and getting any paperwork necessary
    3. Import using an RFD

Brilliant! Cheers for the reply, that's a massive help. I'll inquire with my local gun dealer about option 3 and if it's too pricey I'll go with option 1!

Unfortunately Ukraine isn't in the EU, which is partly why I'm concerned!

There is a partnership deal with the Ukraine and the EU (the ENP) but its not a member state of the EU and by default not part of the Schengen agreement..

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Just bought a knife from the UK (5.5 inch fixed blade) and it was opened by customs here before been sent on to me.
    Two 'Trigger Housing Pins' for a shotgun from the US spent nearly two weeks in customs before arriving at my door. The package was also opened by Customs. Other international parcels being delivered to the house over the last month haven't been opened.

I've bought multiple knives from China, also some scope mounts even a cheap scope for a .22 and lots of little shooting related bits nothing's ever been opened?
    I also bought one of those Vector optics FFP scopes to try out and it came by FedEx never even got hit for tax? Suppose it's luck of the draw and the Chinese labeling it all as hardware accessories etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Same, same a lot of stuff comes here to the house via post or courier. Recently bought a used hand held NV unit from UK with no issue. But I've been caught for tax on a US shipped scope in the past. Other knives, shotgun chokes, binos, scopes etc, etc no issues from abroad, but the last two packages were opened. While at the same time video games, albums, hobbie materials, clothes etc etc have all arrived with no customs snooping.
    They are either on to me as an international arms trader or I've just been lucky or unlucky in the random draw....

...Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket!

PS... I just ordered some G10 liners for a Cova19 home project, if they open that then I'll know its not paranoia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement