Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ps5 or Xbox or maybe stadia

• 24-04-2020 9:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

I'd like to purchase a new console. I understand the ps5 is due later this year. What are people's thoughts on the next console to consider or go with Google Stadia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Go where the games and services you want are. For many it will come down to Xbox Game Pass v PS5's exclusives.

As for Stadia, I think it's still a long way off. I have Virgin 500Mb Broadband, a reliable wired connection and Stadia is still very much hit and miss. I have the free two months at the moment but won't be putting any money into the ecosystem.

Series X is set to be a beast, it is set to outperform my 1 year old mid to high spec PC by some distance. But it remains to be seen how expensive it will be. There are rumours of a lower tier xbox to challenge the price point of the PS5 but this has not been confirmed.

Xbox games pass is a must for all xbox gamers. It really is essential in the same way netflix is for tv lovers.

PS5 is price focussed. They are trying to hit their traditional 399 and as a result the specs are not as powerful as the series X. But they have exclusive games that a lot of people will buy the console just to play them. They also have Playstation Now streaming service but it has not hit the popularity of game pass.

Forget Stadia for now, it is a Google experiment.

Most peoples decisions will already be made. Their current console is where all their friends play. If that is not a decision factor then it comes down to price, specs, exclusives and services.

If xbox keeps within €50 of the PS5 it will be a remarkable achievement and a no brainer to me. PS exclusives are mostly cinematic campaigns and can be picked later on a cheap 2nd hand PS5 or you can dip in and out of PS now streaming service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PlayStation 1,2,3,4 all outsold any Xbox ever made. I’ll be sticking with PlayStation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

L'prof wrote: »
    PlayStation 1,2,3,4 all outsold any Xbox ever made. I’ll be sticking with PlayStation

That’s because Japan has never taken to the Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

I'd still go PC every time. Build your own one and you'll never go back to consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

That’s because Japan has never taken to the Xbox.

And neither have I. There’s a few exclusives I wouldn’t mind playing but I’m not going to buy 2 consoles for the sake of doing so. I don’t have that much time for gaming nowadays anyway
    I'd still go PC every time. Build your own one and you'll never go back to consoles.

I have friends who do this. Too much hassle and expense for me. If I started I’d be constantly upgrading everything

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

It’s hard to beat the plug and play of consoles all for less than the price of a good graphics card.

I’ve built a few gaming PCs but if you are not dropping a few hundred on a graphics card every few years you can be left behind.
    Plus if you’d prefer to game on the couch and not at a desk then the console is easier set up plus the players you are playing against will have similar setup

These consoles are basically gaming PC's and out perform what even a well off person could afford or would be willing to pay for an equivalent PC.

I did the build your own PC, now a year later I'm doing exactly what people said I would never do. Looking back at consoles.

Here's a very easy way of deciding. Which one do you want to play Cybepunk 2077 on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

All depends on who has the best exclusive games for me, which has been playstation the last couple of years but I think microsoft have learnt that the hard way, hence why they started buying up studio's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

brav wrote: »
    It’s hard to beat the plug and play of consoles all for less than the price of a good graphics card.

I’ve built a few gaming PCs but if you are not dropping a few hundred on a graphics card every few years you can be left behind.
    Plus if you’d prefer to game on the couch and not at a desk then the console is easier set up plus the players you are playing against will have similar setup

You can hook a pc up to a tv. And consoles with all their security and slow operating systems are far less user friendly than a PC right now. Maybe the SSD will sort that out but the only real advantage of consoles at this stage is price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Mainly a PC person, but have a PS4 I barely ever use because most of my friends have that....even though I prefer the Xbox, the controller especially I find miles better.

Next gen I'm really not sure. Kinda hoping more games will feature cross-platform play, like some games are now starting to do, eliminating my need for a console altogether.

It's a tough one to call right now as this gen PS4 had way better exclusives but Xbox had Gamepass which is genuinely really excellent. Next gen both are taking leafs out of the others book in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You can hook a pc up to a tv. And consoles with all their security and slow operating systems are far less user friendly than a PC right now. Maybe the SSD will sort that out but the only real advantage of consoles at this stage is price.

Nonsense, consoles are and have always been more user friendly than PC's.

Stadia is still a terrible choice. I'll get a PS5 a year or so after launch as it will have exclusive games I won't be able to miss out on. I'm loving the fact that the new xbox will be a beast, I'd like it to be a difficult choice between the two but I think I've already picked the PS5 due to owning a PS 1-4.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

First of all OP: Buy the one your friend have so you can play with them.
    Greyfox wrote: »
    Nonsense, consoles are and have always been more user friendly than PC's.

Strongly disagree. It takes my console (a PS4Pro) so much longer to perform simple tasks and it does so with an awful interface. It took 2 hours to install and play Red Dead Redemption after buying a physical copy of the game which is frankly an unforgivable delay to letting me play a game that I've paid twice as much money for than I would any PC game. I then spent half an hour trying to figure out how to have a simple voice chat with my friend whilst we tried to play the game together and couldn't (to date, I still don't know if this is something that the Playstation can even do, and if it can't then wtf?). It's literally a single click of a button on the PC using a service like Discord or Steam.

Maybe back in the early 90's when you had to configure ini and cfg files to make sure your Sound Blaster 16 was using the correct channels or the likes, versus a SNES or MegaDrive with plug & play cartridtges things were easier, but with a modern computer running Windows 10 is far easier to manage and maintain in comparison to a PlayStation and is a hundred times more pleasant to use. If nothing else, my computer doesn't sound like a jet engine when I have the audacity to switch it on...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Your issue there is with a well known issue now of game publishers pushing out a product that isnt complete and needs to be patched. Same thing would have happened regardless of pc or console.

How could you not do a voice chat with someone? It doesnt matter about the game you are in. Playstation have a messaging service and it's done through that. You could be playing different games and still chat with your friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Thanks for the replies. The Stadia is totally off the table anyway. Iv always had PlayStations so will probably stick with Sony.
    The Ps 5 isn't out for a while yet though so maybe il purchase a second hand ps4 to keep me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Shiminay wrote: »
    First of all OP: Buy the one your friend have so you can play with them.

Strongly disagree. It takes my console (a PS4Pro) so much longer to perform simple tasks and it does so with an awful interface. It took 2 hours to install and play Red Dead Redemption after buying a physical copy of the game which is frankly an unforgivable delay to letting me play a game that I've paid twice as much money for than I would any PC game. I then spent half an hour trying to figure out how to have a simple voice chat with my friend whilst we tried to play the game together and couldn't (to date, I still don't know if this is something that the Playstation can even do, and if it can't then wtf?). It's literally a single click of a button on the PC using a service like Discord or Steam.

Maybe back in the early 90's when you had to configure ini and cfg files to make sure your Sound Blaster 16 was using the correct channels or the likes, versus a SNES or MegaDrive with plug & play cartridtges things were easier, but with a modern computer running Windows 10 is far easier to manage and maintain in comparison to a PlayStation and is a hundred times more pleasant to use. If nothing else, my computer doesn't sound like a jet engine when I have the audacity to switch it on...

You just press up and then click the voice party icon and invite your friend. It takes a few seconds. It sounds more like you are more used to a PC rather than it being inferior. I can't get my head around discord, it's not user friendly at all.

A normal boot time on PC is about 10-16 seconds. PS4 with an ssd boots in 19 seconds. With a HDD it is about 24. It's even faster from rest mode and all your games stay updated too.

I'm not sure when people got so busy that 4 seconds was too long to wait.

Don't get sucked into that pointless debate. I'm a hardcore PC gamer and even I find it bizarre to claim that PC is more user friendly. Comparing performance and speed differences is nothing to do with that debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Homelander wrote: »
    Don't get sucked into that pointless debate. I'm a hardcore PC gamer and even I find it bizarre to claim that PC is more user friendly. Comparing performance and speed differences is nothing to do with that debate.

I have Xbox and PC and find the user interface on the Xbox horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

If you have a gaming PC, the idea of getting an Xbox over a Playstation is crazy to me, considering the amount of great exclusives PS have.. Maybe not so crazy if you're heavily invested in playing a lot of games on the game pass, but for future games, ill go Playstation every time.. Unless xbox cop on and focus on more exclusives...

I have Xbox and PC and find the user interface on the Xbox horrendous.

Yeah so do I but that still doesn't diminish that console inherently is by far the most straight forward, hassle free and cheapest way for people to play games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

L'prof wrote: »

Not sure what owning previous consoles from a manufacturer has to do with nextgen? Are you letting pride get in the way slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

But them all, it's the only way to be sure. Then play your switch all the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But them all, it's the only way to be sure. Then play your switch all the time.

And then play nothing but Picross on the switch.

Picross is the main reason holding my back from beating my backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

ZiabR wrote: »
    Not sure what owning previous consoles from a manufacturer has to do with nextgen? Are you letting pride get in the way slightly?

Its relevant as brand loyalty is understandably going to be a huge factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

If Sony did the equivalent of Game Pass, they'd clean up (I know they have PS Now, but it's not as current)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Mr Grumble wrote: »
    Series X is set to be a beast, it is set to outperform my 1 year old mid to high spec PC by some distance. But it remains to be seen how expensive it will be. There are rumours of a lower tier xbox to challenge the price point of the PS5 but this has not been confirmed.

Xbox games pass is a must for all xbox gamers. It really is essential in the same way netflix is for tv lovers.

PS5 is price focussed. They are trying to hit their traditional 399 and as a result the specs are not as powerful as the series X. But they have exclusive games that a lot of people will buy the console just to play them. They also have Playstation Now streaming service but it has not hit the popularity of game pass.

Forget Stadia for now, it is a Google experiment.

Most peoples decisions will already be made. Their current console is where all their friends play. If that is not a decision factor then it comes down to price, specs, exclusives and services.

If xbox keeps within €50 of the PS5 it will be a remarkable achievement and a no brainer to me. PS exclusives are mostly cinematic campaigns and can be picked later on a cheap 2nd hand PS5 or you can dip in and out of PS now streaming service.

MS have learned from previous mistakes. It doesn't matter about the extra power, the Series X will not be (much) more expensive than the PS5. If it is, it'll be the Xbox One launch all over again and that'll be the end of it. PS is a bigger name to the average user, that'll be the first option. If the Xbox is much more it'll be a non-starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

IF you like games then PS5

IF you don't mind waiting over a year for some games then PC

Don't waste money on xbox,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

How could you not do a voice chat with someone? It doesnt matter about the game you are in. Playstation have a messaging service and it's done through that. You could be playing different games and still chat with your friends.
    You just press up and then click the voice party icon and invite your friend. It takes a few seconds. It sounds more like you are more used to a PC rather than it being inferior. I can't get my head around discord, it's not user friendly at all.

Tried all that, went reading up on it again after getting this rant off my chest yesterday :D It seems that RDR was blocking the functionality so it could control voice comms and that set it to only people who were in the game, wouldn't let us have a private chat. I'm hardly some sorta scrub, I've had a games console of some form or other since the Atari 2600 when I was 7 - that's 35 years ago :) I think what made it all so frustrating was the fact that it is supposed to be simple cause it's a console and they're made with a lowest common denominator of user in mind, but it wouldn't work as it was supposed to and it gave no indication as to why - at least with a PC you'll have some sort of error message or log to look at. These are key UI/UX issues that makes using a console such a frustrating and horrible experience.

Yep, that's what I find as well. The platform holders have to keep their store and authentication systems intact and therefore the amount of hoops and restrictions you have to jump through when using a console now is just a nightmare compared to PC.

I'm hoping the SSDs in the new consoles will at least alleviate the terrible UI loading and responsiveness on the consoles but as with all these things, it's only a while before the PC either catches up or has already been there for a few months.

As for PS have the best exclusives and not having to wait for games, the PC indie market is chock full of excellent indies that are exclusive to the platform or take an age to get to console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Whatever side of the debate you fall on you can be sure Stadia will cease to exist before there's a really good must-have exclusive on either one. I'll be bold a say that Stadia will be announced as dead before either Xbox Series X of PS5 hits the shelves.

Advertisement