Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Health insurance/private healthcare and covid 19

Options
  • 02-04-2020 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Insurance will be up for renewal soon. With all private hospitals now gone public and a one tier system how’s that going to work with health insurance premiums? Surely they can’t charge the normal extortionate rates when they can’t provide the service? Has anyone renewed recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was vague talk of some sort of premium rebate during the crisis. Nothing concrete yet.

There are implications for waiting periods in future 12-24 months etc if you are longer than 13 weeks without cover, although again that might be something that is waived (though that hasn't been mentioned in news articles).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Any update on this? My renewal is due tomorrow, 11th, and I'm not quite sure why I should pay it if private hospitals no longer exist, and won't for some time to come, it appears.

As above, I can at least go 13 weeks without cover before I'm penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Any update on this? My renewal is due tomorrow, 11th, and I'm not quite sure why I should pay it if private hospitals no longer exist, and won't for some time to come, it appears.

As above, I can at least go 13 weeks without cover before I'm penalised.

13 weeks is the limit at the moment.
    Mine was due 12 weeks ago so I'll renew over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

Hi,

I know I’ll be able to get an answer tomorrow morning when I can call the secretary but does anyone know generally if private consultants are still working from private rooms and if so are they doing consultations in person or over telephone/zoom?

I’ve been reading about private consultants converting to public to help with COVID-19 but also issues with contracts. I’m aware actual procedures aren’t being completed but was just wondering about consultations? I am a current patient of the consultant and am scheduled to see her next month for a check-up but would be looking to get an appointment ASAP for an issue coming back.

Many thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mine saw me in her public office in SJH last week (at her own request). She was seeing others as well. Mainly to cancel routine tests and renew prescriptions. She was obviously knee deep in the C19 problem and basically clearing her books. I got the high-risk letter there - I think that's why she was calling us in. I only saw the patient before me (elderly gent north of 70 needing assistance on his feet).
    So yes, they are. And as I left James, a lady was hobbling out on crutches for a fag, reminding me that life and injury goes on despite this thing.
    All the consultants and professors and wizards will be frontline but won't forget their own priorities.

In my example,I'd imagine she tops her field internationally but would be getting in the way of an experienced ICU nurse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Hi, my friend's father is a private consultant.
    I know they have been shut now for a few weeks and are not seeing any patients in their rooms.

Mine saw me in her public office in SJH last week (at her own request). She was seeing others as well. Mainly to cancel routine tests and renew prescriptions. She was obviously knee deep in the C19 problem and basically clearing her books. I got the high-risk letter there - I think that's why she was calling us in. I only saw the patient before me (elderly gent north of 70 needing assistance on his feet).
    So yes, they are. And as I left James, a lady was hobbling out on crutches for a fag, reminding me that life and injury goes on despite this thing.
    All the consultants and professors and wizards will be frontline but won't forget their own priorities.

In my example,I'd imagine she tops her field internationally but would be getting in the way of an experienced ICU nurse.

Great to know, thanks for the info

codrulz wrote: »
    Hi, my friend's father is a private consultant.
    I know they have been shut now for a few weeks and are not seeing any patients in their rooms.

oh okay, maybe it depends on the consultant? or maybe they’re just clearing their books as FloatingVoter said.

Sure I’ll give a call in the morning anyway and see if I get anywhere.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Anyone renewed since?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Insurance will be up for renewal soon. With all private hospitals now gone public and a one tier system how’s that going to work with health insurance premiums? Surely they can’t charge the normal extortionate rates when they can’t provide the service? Has anyone renewed recently?

I’d expect a credit for the period where VHI and the rest of the private insurers did not have to pay out anything. The Government is paying the private sector to treat private patients I believe so why should people with private health insurance pay their premiums when the costs are all paid already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

jcon1913 wrote: »
    I’d expect a credit for the period where VHI and the rest of the private insurers did not have to pay out anything. The Government is paying the private sector to treat private patients I believe so why should people with private health insurance pay their premiums when the costs are all paid already?

There are other services, online gp and nurse line, walk in clinics, that people can still use so not all costs already paid. Would expect some credit though

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭jcon1913

There are other services, online gp and nurse line, walk in clinics, that people can still use so not all costs already paid. Would expect some credit though

So what percentage of the private insurance budget would go towards the services still operating? 5%,2% maybe?

Just an update, no problem getting an appointment and saw her yesterday. Hospital seemed busy enough with check ins and lots of theatre staff about the place. Paid the usual fee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

had a tele consultation for a follow up just the other day: didn't have to travel / waste time in the waiting room, paid bit less than the F2F one - pretty happy about the setup.

looking back at my private insurance needs, maybe I am not a big user of private hospitals, but I am defo using private consultants - so absolutely no thoughts about giving my private insurance up, nor decrease the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

hi all: in light of 3 month rebates, which apparently will apply to new customers, is now a good time to start a policy? i will be 35 in 10 months. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

cudsy1 wrote: »
    hi all: in light of 3 month rebates, which apparently will apply to new customers, is now a good time to start a policy? i will be 35 in 10 months. thanks

I would recommend it anyway. Insurance loading will just get worse as youget older, as well as the waiting time increase before you can get cover for various ailments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Not sure if there's a thread on this.

I'm paying VHI every month.
    Is there any talk of a rebate for private health insurance at the moment.

I know there's talk of it for motor insurance but surely there's a greater case to be made for private health insurance since private hospitals are now public. People with private health insurance don't receive any real benefit over public patients now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

I got an email from Irish Health to say they are refunding some of the cost until June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭amber2

Laya are offering a refund total of €195 per adult and €60 per child being spilt into 3 instalments, refunded between end of April to June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭skitzyspider

It was announced a week ago that health insurance companies would be issuing rebates to their customers due to the fact that the Government has taken control of the private hospitals for the foreseeable future. Firstly, I am glad the private hospitals have been allocated to help during the pandemic as everybody should be treated equally.

I am not happy with the fact that my health insurer Irish Life have yet to issue a rebate or even tell me how much of a rebate I am even entitled to. It states on their website that they are issuing rebates of between 17% - 60% depending on what plan/level of cover you have. VHI have stated that all their customers will be getting an average of 50% back.

Irish life have stated the following on the q&a section of their website:

“ Why am I not getting my full month’s premium refunded to me?
    There are different factors that make up your premium some of which will not change during this period:

1. The government health insurance levy is required by legislation to still be paid during this period. The cost of the levy for policies that renewed before April 1st is €444 for an advanced plan (with more than 66% access to any Private Cover) and €177 for a non-advanced plan (which provides for largely public hospital cover).

2. Health insurance customers will continue to be charged, (through their health insurer) for treatments for private care in public hospitals; psychiatric care - both inpatient and outpatient; maternity care and a range of other services. In addition, health insurance customers will pay the statutory public hospital charge if attending the 18 Private hospitals that are now part of this agreement.”

I rang Irish life today and they could not even tell me how much of a rebate I am entitled to or when to expect the rebate. I was informed by Irish life that they still have to pay the government levy and that I would still have access to public healthcare, digital doctor and some other useless fillers to make it seem like I am getting value for money! Surely the government should waive a percentage of the the €444 health insurance levy for as long as they have taken over the private hospitals?

Has anybody received a rebate from their health insurance company or has anybody received correspondence from their health insurance companies outlining how much of a rebate they will be getting? It seems like even 50% rebates are not enough as when you remove the access to private hospitals and the fact that all non emergency surgeries, day cases, scans etc are all cancelled, to keep paying even 50% of your normal policy does not seem value for money at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

amber2 wrote: »
    Laya are offering a refund total of €195 per adult and €60 per child being spilt into 3 instalments, refunded between end of April to June.

Laya would have been better offering a % to members. Unfair that those on the lowest plan would get same as those on the highest plan.

It was announced a week ago that health insurance companies would be issuing rebates to their customers due to the fact that the Government has taken control of the private hospitals for the foreseeable future. Firstly, I am glad the private hospitals have been allocated to help during the pandemic as everybody should be treated equally.

I am not happy with the fact that my health insurer Irish Life have yet to issue a rebate or even tell me how much of a rebate I am even entitled to. It states on their website that they are issuing rebates of between 17% - 60% depending on what plan/level of cover you have. VHI have stated that all their customers will be getting an average of 50% back.

Irish life have stated the following on the q&a section of their website:

“ Why am I not getting my full month’s premium refunded to me?
    There are different factors that make up your premium some of which will not change during this period:

1. The government health insurance levy is required by legislation to still be paid during this period. The cost of the levy for policies that renewed before April 1st is €444 for an advanced plan (with more than 66% access to any Private Cover) and €177 for a non-advanced plan (which provides for largely public hospital cover).

2. Health insurance customers will continue to be charged, (through their health insurer) for treatments for private care in public hospitals; psychiatric care - both inpatient and outpatient; maternity care and a range of other services. In addition, health insurance customers will pay the statutory public hospital charge if attending the 18 Private hospitals that are now part of this agreement.”

I rang Irish life today and they could not even tell me how much of a rebate I am entitled to or when to expect the rebate. I was informed by Irish life that they still have to pay the government levy and that I would still have access to public healthcare, digital doctor and some other useless fillers to make it seem like I am getting value for money! Surely the government should waive a percentage of the the €444 health insurance levy for as long as they have taken over the private hospitals?

Has anybody received a rebate from their health insurance company or has anybody received correspondence from their health insurance companies outlining how much of a rebate they will be getting? It seems like even 50% rebates are not enough as when you remove the access to private hospitals and the fact that all non emergency surgeries, day cases, scans etc are all cancelled, to keep paying even 50% of your normal policy does not seem value for money at all.

Same boat. An email about rebate, vast differences in percentages offered. My money is on getting the lowest mentioned and nothing heard from them since. I’ll think seriously about renewing next time.

PopTarts wrote: »
    Laya would have been better offering a % to members. Unfair that those on the lowest plan would get same as those on the highest plan.
    Agreed. I am curios how they would handle the ones that pay Laya extra, on top of the company provided plans - they've said it takes longer to analyze.

Spoke to a manager in Irish Life today on the phone. They said they do not know what % each plan is getting back yet (supposedly it’s between 17% to 60% depending on the plan you are on) and they do not know when customers will receive written confirmation and they have no date for when the rebates will issue. Basically they are not contacting customers to update them and have no figures or date as to when you will get your rebate but you are expected to keep paying your FULL policy while they take their time deciding on when to contact us. My parents also received their Irish life renewal in the post quoting the FULL policy amount for the year with no reductions or mention of a rebate :mad: They are just expecting people to hand over the money for the full years policy without even a mention of what’s going on! Anybody else having any luck getting confirmation/rebates from their health insurers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

In same boat here too, got that email from Irish Life Health. Funny that Aviva who are Irish Life Health are also not part of the motor insurance consortium who have agreed to give refunds to customers. Hoping that might change soon as Liberty are now on board too.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

First €65 monthly rebate from Laya landed into my account this morning. Happy days.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Darwin wrote: »
    In same boat here too, got that email from Irish Life Health. Funny that Aviva who are Irish Life Health are also not part of the motor insurance consortium who have agreed to give refunds to customers. Hoping that might change soon as Liberty are now on board too.

Aviva Health was sold to Irish Life a few years ago and rebranded. Irish Life is owned by a Canadian company. There is no longer any connection between Irish Life Health and Aviva.

Quackster wrote: »
    First €65 monthly rebate from Laya landed into my account this morning. Happy days.

I know Laya announced rebates of €195 (€65 a month for 3 months) but is this dependent on what plan you are on or does everybody get the same rebate?

Irish Life are showing their true colours at the moment and can’t even inform their customers how much they will be getting back and when they will getting the rebate. They state rebates are between 17% to 60% depending on the plan you are on but the way they are being so shady, I’d say we will be lucky to even get The lowest amount 17% back. Seriously considering leaving them and moving to Laya or VHI as soon as I’m due for renewal.

• Advertisement

I know Laya announced rebates of €195 (€65 a month for 3 months) but is this dependent on what plan you are on or does everybody get the same rebate?

there are scenarios where members get part of 195 (when employer contributes to their insurance). its described here - https://www.layahealthcare.ie/coronavirus/financialsupport/
    - seeing now they announced "If hospitals return to normal before the end of June, we’ll need to revise the monthly instalment accordingly."

Advertisement