Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youngs 303 for storage?

• 22-04-2020 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Any of you have experience or thoughts on using Youngs 303 aerosol? I'm looking for something to prevent rust in my barrels as I'm not going to be shooting anytime soon. Is Youngs 303 safe? My only concern is that it has a Nitro Powder solvent in it as well. It's marketed as a Rust Preventative and cleaning solution but not a lubricant.

Would Brunox be a better choice? As you can imagine, I'm working with what I have on the shelf at the moment.

Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I use Youngs fairly regularly but for long term storage, i'm not sure. If its oil it'll run, and no matter how you store the rifle its run to the lowest point. Even stored horizontally the oil will settle on the bottom of the bore.

Is there any sort of grease or other rust preventative that would coat the bore, but not harden, and be easily cleaned out?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The simplest form of protection is a thin layer of grease, be it axial grease or gun grease. Lightly coat the metal parts with with the grease. Run a lightly coated patch through the barrel.
    Do not plug the barrel as you may be sealing moisture into it.
    REMEMBER you will need to clean the barrel before use.

If you are using a steel safe you can fit a heat source to keep the air dry and help prevent condensation.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383290547053.

But honestly a good, clean and oil before storage should see you through months of storage. I'd have my O/U in storage 6-7 months of the year before pulling it out for a bang. After August early September my Semi only sees a few harsh days out before being beasted over the spring and summer months The same goes for one of my rifles . Out for September to February and then back into storage for the next 6 months.
    Taking it out of storage every now and then to give it a wipe will give you something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

VP90 used to do a little sachet of preservative, it gave off a vapour that protected anything steel within a few meters like toolboxes or gunsafes. You can get little dehumidifiers too, they are not electric they have crystals that absorb the moisture in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Go to any camera,computer,HiFi TV shop,when they re open and ask them for any of the little silica dessicant bags out of the waste packaging.Easily spotted by the DO NOT EAT labels on them. Just take a few of them and drop them in your gunsafe as is.Or if you have some sort of little cloth bag ,empty them into the cloth bag ,until full and hang that in your safe.Its just as good as those dehumidifiers.

For grease,if you can get it,the original gun Cosmoline is still the best around.
    Next,is simply vaseline,which can be melted in a pot of boiling water and applied liberally to your metal parts.
    I'd be careful of using any of the mentioned bearing or axle grease or even vaseline on wood or some plastic parts tho. It can discolour the wood and be absorbed into the wood itself.Truning it black in some cases.Reason many old military rifles are so dark in colour,ages of being in grease wrappers leached into the wood and reacted. They can also damage some plastics as well if you have a stock made thereof too.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

So I have a rechargable dehumidifier in the safe.

I guess I'm over thinking this.

Thanks for the help lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Bit of a different one here, my .22 is beat to hell and back was like that when I bought it, it's blueing is faded out across the barrel and the only thing that has kept the rust off the barrel when it's stored for extended periods is ... sunflower oil and sometimes linseed oil , I apply it with a rough kitchen paper towel , great way of cleaning rust spots off a gun too it immediately seals the pores if the metal after you wipe it down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Be carefull of Linseed Oil, its not recommended for oiling guns. I had to look up the technical qoute for it:
    Linseed oil is a drying oil, meaning it can polymerize into a solid form

While vegtable oils may serve a purpose for external oiling for storage, many of them are not suitable as lubricants as they break down too easy. Tallow was a favourite back in the day, but again I'm not sure as to its suitability as a lubricant on modern firearms.

Be carefull of Linseed Oil, its not recommended for oiling guns. I had to look up the technical qoute for it:

While vegtable oils may serve a purpose for external oiling for storage, many of them are not suitable as lubricants as they break down too easy. Tallow was a favourite back in the day, but again I'm not sure as to its suitability as a lubricant on modern firearms.

3 in 1 oil is what my guns get for the inner workings , never had any issues with it i run my guns as dry as possible only oiling small areas that need it
    And as for the linseed oil creating a coating thats on purpose for me put it on when the barrel is toasty and it will blacken it which helps hide scuff marks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

3 in 1 oil is what my guns get for the inner workings , never had any issues with it i run my guns as dry as possible only oiling small areas that need it
    And as for the linseed oil creating a coating thats on purpose for me put it on when the barrel is toasty and it will blacken it which helps hide scuff marks

3 in 1 oil isn't what it was, it dries out and leaves a gummy residue that gums up whatever you have used it on. I was given a set of micrometers, that were good quality but dirty, so i dismantled them and cleaned them in acetone. When reassembling them i used 3 in 1. Used them a few months later and they were all gummy and stiff. I had to redo the lot and used watch oil.

tudderone wrote: »
    3 in 1 oil isn't what it was, it dries out and leaves a gummy residue that gums up whatever you have used it on. I was given a set of micrometers, that were good quality but dirty, so i dismantled them and cleaned them in acetone. When reassembling them i used 3 in 1. Used them a few months later and they were all gummy and stiff. I had to redo the lot and used watch oil.

Never had that issue, though i clean it every 500-750 rounds which includes total wipe down and then reapplication of oil
    Shotgun also gets 3 in 1 oil
    For my centrefire guns though i use Hoppes lubricating oil the little orange bottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭DogfoxCork

big fan of boretech eliminator. they recommend using it to coat bores that are going into storage for a while. I run a slightly damp patch down the rifle barrels after every day out just to avoid any corrosion seeing as safes are a breeding ground for damp. even throwing a cold gun into a slip in a car can cause condensation to form. This practice works for me anyway and takes all of about a minute. I never clean before shooting again as so little is used and it doesnt seem to affect any accuracy. id probably run a dry patch down if i had soaked the bore as if there was enough of it in there it would probably mess with the coeffeicient of friction between the bore and the bullet

Advertisement