Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Surprising shortages

• 21-04-2020 4:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

Everybody knows things like hand sanitizer and masks are in short supply, and most people aren't surprised by it. But what things have you found hard to find that you didn't see coming?

Some for me:

Flour. Lots of people baking. It's more practical to store long term than bread.
    Toddler pants. Lots of people taking the opportunity to potty train, it appears.
    Outdoor furniture. Nice weather and stuck at home so makes sense.
    Treadmills. Stuck at home.
    Golden syrup. More baking I guess.
    Baby formula (temporarily). Nobody wants to run out of baby formula.
    Chest freezers. Long term storage.
    Cumin, quorn, tinned chickpeas. Lots of vegetarian preppers. Makes sense since lots of veggie food is suitable for doing in big batches in the first place.
    Building materials. That diy speech probably.
    Nintendo switch consoles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Oops I thought this was the coronavirus forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Bog roll

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Paint... but hey I know a guy, can hook you up...good sh1t!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

silverharp wrote: »
    Paint... but hey I know a guy, can hook you up...good sh1t!

Paint is a funny one, cause the reality is most people cannot paint to a decent standard at all.

I can only imagine people ordering a load of paint, but not stocking up on sandpaper, tape, filler, rollers , brushes etc. So expect to see alot of poor quality painting in peoples houses next time you are allowed visit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

The first thing I stocked up were seeds. Not stock piled, mind you! Just enough. Vegetable seeds. Second thing I am doing is using them judiciously and keeping enough aside for next year. There will be seed shortages next year. There are now. It is not the sort of thing that is easily replenished in one year's cycle. Seeds keep for several years. Anyways. Buy a few seeds if you see them out and about, and use them. Online garden stores are a bit short on plants too, I notice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Like a lot of people, I've been doing some sourdough baking.
    But strong white flower has been nearly impossible to get, a friend has seen it in his local shop and got me a couple of bags.
    Within 1km, I have the largest Dunnes in Ireland, a Lidl and SV and I have yet to find a shelf even 25% of any type of flower.

I've friends who have been trying to get a chest freezer, unless they buy a second hand one.

Weights aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Everybody knows things like hand sanitizer and masks are in short supply, and most people aren't surprised by it. But what things have you found hard to find that you didn't see coming?

I don't think this can be summed up to one chain or store - it's area by area, my mam out in Meath tells me they're finding it tough to get flour meanwhile I've it coming out of my ears in southside Dublin, I've been genuinely surprised at the completely full shelves of different types of flour after the initial rush as I think the majority of the apartments around me are childless millennials like myself that dabble in baking out of boredom for the next zoom call versus the hordes of families with kids turning out a small bakery level of confectionaries to keep kids happy. There's plenty to go around - stores just need time to adjust stocking to the change in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Local shops here have plenty of flour recently

When garden centres reopen there'll be plenty of seeds available
    The seed companies aren't delivering out to shops as per normal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Like a lot of people, I've been doing some sourdough baking.
    But strong white flower has been nearly impossible to get, a friend has seen it in his local shop and got me a couple of bags.
    Within 1km, I have the largest Dunnes in Ireland, a Lidl and SV and I have yet to find a shelf even 25% of any type of flower.

I've friends who have been trying to get a chest freezer, unless they buy a second hand one.

Weights aswell

go for a restaurant supplier, you should be able to pick up a 5kg bag

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Gynoid wrote: »
    Second thing I am doing is using them judiciously and keeping enough aside for next year. There will be seed shortages next year.

Isn't that the definition of stock piling.

Not disagreeing with you. Just own it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Did somebody say flour...

510511.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

alias no.9 wrote: »

hahaha that's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Acetone was is big demand for removing shellac nail polish at home. The relief when I finally did my diy nails was huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

where on the southside of dublin are you getting flour? and as someone else in particular said, any strong flour?

Isn't that the definition of stock piling.

Not disagreeing with you. Just own it :P

No.
    One can sow seeds in careful quantities and mind them better, or be a bit over generous to allow for slug and pest wastage. I did not buy extra packs of seeds, I just got them quickly and will save half for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Common sense. Yea, looks to be in short supply in some places. I think I have plenty in stock, but I'm biased. I'd like to help some of my neighbors out and give them some, but not easy even without social distancing. Am hoping some of the big chains get some in so I can watch people stockpile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Elastic, people have been making their own face masks

Gynoid wrote: »
    No.
    One can sow seeds in careful quantities and mind them better, or be a bit over generous to allow for slug and pest wastage. I did not buy extra packs of seeds, I just got them quickly and will save half for next year.

Okay, saving seeds for next year because of shortages next year seems like text book to me, but not going to go all 'pistols at dawn' over it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

greenttc wrote: »
    where on the southside of dublin are you getting flour? and as someone else in particular said, any strong flour?

My friend has been getting strong flour in Tesco Ballybrack

Okay, saving seeds for next year because of shortages next year seems like text book to me, but not going to go all 'pistols at dawn' over it.

Well that's a relief because I have just washed my hair and blood spatters would ruin things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Think of it like this. If I buy a pack of carrot seeds and plant all of them I would have enough carrots to last me several years but they will go off. So I choose between a few options.

I can either plant them and only keep those that take best discarding the rest

Plant some throw out the rest.

Plant some and store the seeds in a cool dark place till next year.

Not having being very organised I would normally have done a combination of the first two but having cleaned out the shed am now doing the third. Also if I have loads of time later in the year I may try to keep some seeds from whatever I do grow.

I found it very hard to get yeast in my online shop. Flour too.
    I imagine if i went in person in the morning it would be easier but it wasn't major essesntial.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the flour thing is a supply chain issue I think - most of our flour comes from the UK, surge in demand there means it's not making it to us. Last couple of times I've been in Tesco, every single type of flour has been sold out, I mean who's buying up all the cornflour, semolina etc?

Like seemingly everyone else, I've been making sourdough, and getting strong flour from the local bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Flour which has been said, yeast was another. Still have not been able to get any flour other than SR.

red peppers
    pink lady apples
    new potatoes
    corn on the cob
    mince
    tesco own brand cereal and brown bread
    eggs
    wraps
    frozen fish
    frozen butternut squash
    biscuits

These would be the things that I would buy regularly and have found them not available or in short supply. The biscuit isle in my tesco has been ransacked since this all started.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

alias no.9 wrote: »

510511.jpg
    brendanL wrote: »
    hahaha that's amazing.

The issue with flour is not that it's in short supply, it's that the consumer demand is so high that the packing plants for consumer sized bags don't have the capacity to keep up. If you want a commercial sack like the photos you'll be grand,.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭joficeduns1

Me and the missus haven't been able to get chickpeas (tinned nor dried) in the last month (Supervalu and Lidl in the town). Also, I've ran out of 00 flour for pizzas and running low on gram flour too. May have to do some online research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Elastic, people have been making their own face masks

Yes! I'm looking for some. Don't know where to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

happyday wrote: »
    Yes! I'm looking for some. Don't know where to get it.

I've heard Poundland in the UK has some. Poundland is dealz here.

Advertisement