Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lockdown practice equipment

• 25-03-2020 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for an indoor putting mat and maybe an outdoor net that I could use out the back garden for hitting balls into. My back garden is small and pathed :(

Playing off 23 last August and worked my balls off all winter and got cut to 15 and this past few weeks I have been playing my best ever and shot 78, 79, 78 in my last 3 rounds. I'm not going to remember how to swing a club by the time this is all over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Putt Out mat is very good quality. Also have the putt out trainer but I'd prefer a hole, more satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Any recommendations for an indoor putting mat and maybe an outdoor net that I could use out the back garden for hitting balls into. My back garden is small and pathed :(

Playing off 23 last August and worked my balls off all winter and got cut to 15 and this past few weeks I have been playing my best ever and shot 78, 79, 78 in my last 3 rounds. I'm not going to remember how to swing a club by the time this is all over.

Like you I’m always looking for new ideas and would love to set up an indoor driving range.

I also have the puttout mat, very good quality as per other post.
    I also recommend the below, good for Swing rhythm and a lot cheaper that the orange whip.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MV76Q46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6MKGEbD5RKGGG
    Finally, the Tour Striker Planemate is really good for swing plane work.
    https://uk.tourstriker.com/product/planemate/

Hope that helps! PS, well done on the handicap!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Like you I’m always looking for new ideas and would love to set up an indoor driving range.

I also have the puttout mat, very good quality as per other post.
    I also recommend the below, good for Swing rhythm and a lot cheaper that the orange whip.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MV76Q46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6MKGEbD5RKGGG
    Finally, the Tour Striker Planemate is really good for swing plane work.
    https://uk.tourstriker.com/product/planemate/

Hope that helps! PS, well done on the handicap!

Cheers for the above. Have you got the planemate yourself? Looking to see has anyone got one from the UK as the VAT changes using a parcel motel address compared to getting one direct to Ireland but they say these ship from the US to Ireland as its not in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Well I have a field that's 300 yards long and 100 yards wide behind the house.... Guess that's where I will be. Knew it was worth my while moving to the sticks.

kod12 wrote: »
    Cheers for the above. Have you got the planemate yourself? Looking to see has anyone got one from the UK as the VAT changes using a parcel motel address compared to getting one direct to Ireland but they say these ship from the US to Ireland as its not in the UK.

I got it from the US using address Pal, but I had to pay import duty on it. I like it, I find it good for swing plane and muscle memory, mind you I’m a high handicapper, so might be different low handicap players

• Advertisement

I got it from the US using address Pal, but I had to pay import duty on it. I like it, I find it good for swing plane and muscle memory, mind you I’m a high handicapper, so might be different low handicap players

Also a high handicapper looking for it to do the same thing. I was going to get it in from Canada as the exchange rate is good. Do you mind me asking how much they charged on import duty and how long did postage take. Really interested in getting one Thanks

Also a high handicapper looking for it to do the same thing. I was going to get it in from Canada as the exchange rate is good. Do you mind me asking how much they charged on import duty and how long did postage take. Really interested in getting one Thanks

No problem, I bought it off the US site at approx $160, they charged me $20 for priority shipping to my US Address Pal address.

I’m not sure I’d recommend Address Pal however as they charged me €16 to get it from the US to Ireland, then charged me another €10 for the privilege of managing the customs and duty which was another approx €35. So all in it was about €220. it was a bit expensive but at the time there was no stock anywhere as well as the fact that the UK site charges £162 plus £30 for shipping so it worked out about the same.

No problem, I bought it off the US site at approx $160, they charged me $20 for priority shipping to my US Address Pal address.

I’m not sure I’d recommend Address Pal however as they charged me €16 to get it from the US to Ireland, then charged me another €10 for the privilege of managing the customs and duty which was another approx €35. So all in it was about €220. it was a bit expensive but at the time there was no stock anywhere as well as the fact that the UK site charges £162 plus £30 for shipping so it worked out about the same.

Perfect cheers for that. I tried to post it from the UK as they have stock to my parcel motel and they put on VAT of £35 so works out at 220

Perfect cheers for that. I tried to post it from the UK as they have stock to my parcel motel and they put on VAT of £35 so works out at 220

I’m pretty sure you can select free shipping if shipping to a UK Parcel Motel address from the UK site.
    There shouldn’t be any VAT.
    If you ship it to an Irish address they charge a £29 flat rate shipping fee.
    But there’s no VAT.

I’m pretty sure you can select free shipping if shipping to a UK Parcel Motel address from the UK site.
    There shouldn’t be any VAT.
    If you ship it to an Irish address they charge a £29 flat rate shipping fee.
    But there’s no VAT.

Yeah I challenged them on it and they said the VAT was correct per the country and the post is free. Weird one. Good to hear you think it’s worth it been deliberating getting it for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Jim Stynes wrote: »

That's single handicapper golf and more importantly consistency, have you any tips for us??

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

That's single handicapper golf and more importantly consistency, have you any tips for us??

Honestly, I hit a purple patch and was just hitting the ball really well. More importantly I practised 3/4 days a week consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Has anyone got one of these ? Looks the business says 8-10 days for International shipping.

https://golfiyo.com/products/golfiyo-golf-swing-stick-game-simulator-wgt-edition

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

londonred wrote: »
    Has anyone got one of these ? Looks the business says 8-10 days for International shipping.

https://golfiyo.com/products/golfiyo-golf-swing-stick-game-simulator-wgt-edition

I've seen the same popping up on my social media feeds and was going to ask the same. I noticed its also on Amazon for £250

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Could I get herself to agree to this in the sitting room?

https://www.golfswingsystems.co.uk/product/homecourse-pro-screen/

It’s retractable........?..........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

It’s retractable........?..........;)

That's it. 9ft ceilings so might not be able to swing a driver but would be fine for most other clubs. Its a serious setup for indoors with limited space Would be about €5k for a the full sim set up. Could take me a while to get this over the line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Sorry to jump on this thread, but wondering did you ever get a practice net? Looking for one myself and not many available and one that I can receive before august

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-putting-mats-for-2020/

Might give some good info for those looking for putting mats

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That's it. 9ft ceilings so might not be able to swing a driver but would be fine for most other clubs. Its a serious setup for indoors with limited space Would be about €5k for a the full sim set up. Could take me a while to get this over the line :)

I also have 9ft ceilings and can swing irons, but even though I know I'm not going to hit the ceiling, its a very restricted feeling!

A bit like pitching in the back garden....towards the greenhouse :eek:

• Advertisement

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-putting-mats-for-2020/

Might give some good info for those looking for putting mats

https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-nets-for-2020/

And then they follow it up with this today, so that's mats and nets covered

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

I completed the PuttOut set last week with buying the putting mirror having previously had the Matt and Pressure putter tool.

It was a complete impulse buy so I didn't know what I was getting into! Does anyone else have it or know of good ways to get use out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

GreeBo wrote: »
    I also have 9ft ceilings and can swing irons, but even though I know I'm not going to hit the ceiling, its a very restricted feeling!

A bit like pitching in the back garden....towards the greenhouse :eek:

A great way to practice not thinning chips :O

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

etxp wrote: »
    A great way to practice not thinning chips :O

"stay down, stay down, stay do...sh!t"

frink wrote: »
    I completed the PuttOut set last week with buying the putting mirror having previously had the Matt and Pressure putter tool.

It was a complete impulse buy so I didn't know what I was getting into! Does anyone else have it or know of good ways to get use out of it

i also have Puttout mat and the Puttout pressure aid, how do you find them?

i'm finding the carpet almost pulls the ball into the centre, also its a bit short and too fast for realistic putts........I even put another mat underneath it, thinking it might be slower than having it on the wooden floor.......bottom line, i'm finding it too easy and as i certainly don't putt this well at my GC.....!
    interested in opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

i also have Puttout mat and the Puttout pressure aid, how do you find them?

i'm finding the carpet almost pulls the ball into the centre, also its a bit short and too fast for realistic putts........I even put another mat underneath it, thinking it might be slower than having it on the wooden floor.......bottom line, i'm finding it too easy and as i certainly don't putt this well at my GC.....!

interested in opinions!

I found the exact same thing regarding the matt. Every single putt seems to run down the middle. I even start to put the hole gadget on the top corner of the matt to make it a little harder.
    One thing I did buy 2 weeks back where 7 rolls of the fake grass carpet aldi where doing. My back garden is full concrete, so I bonded them down together to make a mini green / Chipping area. Bought a couple of cheap footmats I'm using at the back of garden to chip from.
    Kids trampoline is also getting used for pitching into.
    Kills an hour or so a day during this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

like a lot of keen golfers on here, I picked up a couple of putting training aids....I got the puttout pressure aid, a cheapie mirror thing off amazon (puttout one is quite expensive and didn't think I could justify that price so picked up one for around €12 off amazon) and a putting matt.....I was tempted by the puttout set up alright as it looks impressive and was going to go with the puttout mat but instead I went for the Pure2Improve putting mat which is quite pricey but I had used it in McGuirks and thought it was good.....

I find the mat pretty good....it comes with a brush so you can use that to create a surface for or against the grain.....its a good length, about 10ft overall meaning you can easily putt 8 to 9 ft....the selling point for me over the popular puttout mats is that its has holes to aim for. I like the satisfaction of holing a putt as opposed to landing it at a spot on a flat mat. The holes are formed by a raised area at the end which is good for encouraging you to give it a bit more juice to get it up the slope...this is good for being more aggressive and giving the putts a chance that might otherwise come up short.....I find some putts have a bit of a break but then the same putt would be straight but I put this down to the quality of the stroke...i.e. I know I've hit a good putt when it rolls true and straight rather than appearing to have a break...

Couple of downsides....the markers aren't great....they seem to be just distance arcs which are ok but I prefer the markings on the puttout mat which includes a straight line down the centre for tracking straight putts.....also, and this is more of an issue, the markers are a bonded strip onto the mat rather than say a different colour mat fibre (so would be the same material) which can affect the roll of the putt....its not too bad but definitely does have an affect....its probably more reflective of the bumps and bobs that you'll get in reality on a green but its still a little bit annoying....

I haven't used the mirror yet or the puttout pressure aid much but will look into it....as I said, the satisfaction of the "dropping" putt on the mat is kind of nice, hence the neglect of the pressure aid.....be interested in people's opinions on it through.....also, I have a few putter which I've been trying and before the lockdown, I had a clear favourite based on my putting on real greens but now that has actually changed to a different one now with the mat which has me a bit frustrated!! but then there's worse things going on at the moment!

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Couple of downsides....the markers aren't great....they seem to be just distance arcs which are ok but I prefer the markings on the puttout mat which includes a straight line down the centre for tracking straight putts.....
    On my own mat, it has 2 holes on it (1 small, 1 regulation). I measured the distance from the edge of the mat to the centre of each hole.

I then put multiple marks along the mat at different distances down from each hole. So I know if I hit a straight putt from any of those markers that it should roll straight in the centre of the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Does anyone have any recommendation on a practice net?
    I was looking at few different ones but this review put me right off due to the reported noise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mexGxDSKqGg

I only have a small garden, so I do like the idea of something that can be taken down and put away again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Advertisement