Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gig Regrets

• 20-04-2020 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,718 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any past gig you regret not going too ??

I regret not going to Pearl Jam when they played here in 2010

Green Day in 2017 in Kilmainham esp after what's after happening in regards this year

Any of the Metallica shows here in the early 2000s. Belfast in 2010 another one cause they had Volbeat as support

Although they didn't play much here and the tragic death of O Riordan. I would of loved to see The Cranberries live. There show in the BGE in 2017 really went under the radar and wasant published much to my memory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Sat in the pub back in '86, i was 15 (yeah, we started young back in Wales, cracking rock pub too and crazy as fcuk)

Mate : "Spare place on the coach on Saturday to see Pink Floyd, interested?"

Scud : "What do i wanna go see them for, they're shite"

Been kicking myself over that one for many a year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Iron Maiden. My favourite band and I’ve never
    bothered to go see them.
    Not a concert goer type person etc.
    I can see them on the telly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Prince in Malahide Castle 2011. F**kin raged about it. My justification was that 100eu was way too expensive which it seemed at the time. Even writing this annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Prince in Malahide Castle 2011. F**kin raged about it. My justification was that 100eu was way too expensive which it seemed at the time. Even writing this annoys me

One of the greatest concerts I've ever seen!Had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand!

He was so funky and the jamming he did on the night was fipping amazing.

Get teary eyed when I think bout it knowing I'll never see The Purple One again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Gojira 09 in whelans
    Anathema in 15 in the academy

Both look like cracking gigs from what ive seen on YouTube and heard from mates that went. Raging about the anathema one in particular played for nearly 3 and a half hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Saw Prince in London 1990, didn't think he was great.

Older mate of mine was at Isle of Wight and saw another band not Jimi Hendrix and always regretted it.

I went up to manchester the day after the Hacienda closed, gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Gojira 09 in whelans
    Anathema in 15 in the academy

Both look like cracking gigs from what ive seen on YouTube and heard from mates that went. Raging about the anathema one in particular played for nearly 3 and a half hours.

Wouldn't worry about it, Anathema haven't been good since the 90s. They were in their prime back in the days of the Abbeyleix Metalfest. They used to be here every other month, or at least the Cavanagh brothers were, haven't heard them in a while though.

My biggest regret had been nine inch nails. Three times I've tried to see them, travelling to London, Belgium and Germany. All three were no shows. A perfect circle played instead, supported by Skunk Anansie. Hardly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Sufjan Stevens 2015 in the Helix

It was around the time Carrie & Lowell was released. It's an album that took a while to grow on me so I passed on the chance to go to one of the gigs he was playing there. Since then, I've grown to love it and I really regret not going to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Drake last March.

I'm sure he'll be back though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Nada surf in cork 2006, i skipped it to see a girl that wasn't that into me :) only after that i really got into them. Fecking kills me even thinking about it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

Not going to Tom Petty in Dublin 2012. I think we had a few pricey gigs that summer. Paul Simon, Stone Roses, Electric picnic and there was another I can't remember.
    Absolutely raging I missed it! Listen to him all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,718 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One gig I would of loving to see was Simon & Garfunkel supported by The Everly Brothers in the RDS in 2004. Anyone at that gig ??. Obv none of those acts are touring anytime soon unless time travel or resurrection become a thing

Sadly too young at the time and wasn't allowed go too gigs til a few years after that.

Regret not seeing Elton John live but hoping to pick a ticket for one of his Dublin shows on the current tour if it still goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Maybe not popular now after the way things turned out with him but Michael Jackson Páirc Uí Chaoimh in 1988.
    I was 16 had my ticket, had my money for the train ticket down from Dublin I was going on my own. Bossman in work wouldn't give me the day off told me I'd be fired my dad found out when I was thinking of taking the hit he told me he'd feck me out of the house for missing work and getting fired.
    I didn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

PTH2009 wrote: »
    One gig I would of loving to see was Simon & Garfunkel supported by The Everly Brothers in the RDS in 2004. Anyone at that gig ??

Yes. It was very good. They did two or three solo Paul Simon songs too. The Everly Brothers performance was a short one and was in the middle of the Simon and Garfunkel set, more like an interval act than a support.

I went to Kilkenny the next day to see Bryan Ferry and James Taylor.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yes. It was very good. They did two or three solo Paul Simon songs too. The Everly Brothers performance was a short one and was in the middle of the Simon and Garfunkel set, more like an interval act than a support.

I went to Kilkenny the next day to see Bryan Ferry and James Taylor.

Me too. And I'd been to The Doors (Manzarek, Krieger and Ian Astbury) earlier in the week too. Three in one week. I was exhausted by the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In Australia in 09, was getting into a band called Cog who were playing there with support from Oceansize. Said I'd go to family friends bbq instead, would catch Oceansize again as they're from the uk, so will have chances. Soon after the tour they called it quits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Gary Clark Jr - The Button Factory in 2014. :(

Cory Wong - Sugar Club last year (couldn't go - had to travel with work):(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭exilec

Noel Gallagher olympia 2011 . Gave my ticket away for free cause i got a ticket for united city match in old trafford . Paid a fortune for flights and we got hammered 6-1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Faith No More 2009 Olympia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Bowie's last performance in Ireland ... the Point 2003

Gave the pair of tickets (were O2 Club tickets) to mate ... who ended up sat beside The Edge for the gig.
    Have no recollection what was so important that I couldn't go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

exilec wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher olympia 2011 . Gave my ticket away for free cause i got a ticket for united city match in old trafford . Paid a fortune for flights and we got hammered 6-1 :(

Honestly one of the best gigs ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Arthur Lee- Whelans in 2002. Had a ticket and all but sacked it off on the day. Gutted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Motorhead 2008/9 didn't bother with either, thought they'd be back again.

Chris Cornell at the Olympia in 2016 is almost a regret of mine, I was thinking 'Ah I'll see him again some other time' really glad I decided to go now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Bowie and Prince.

Elliott Smith but I would have been 18 and not able to get to Dublin for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Not getting to see Pink Floyd in 1980 doing the The Wall as I was too young to travel to London but had the opportunity to see Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott in 1985 but couldn't make it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The Avalanches, Galway. Pure entertainment & joy from what I heard

Violent Femmes- last time they played Dublin. Well past their prime but I'm sure would have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭mitchelsontour

1995 REM in Slane - for many reasons other than the music

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

the tom Petty gig was unreal it rained literally for about 18 hours straight.
    we went to pub after and sat in silence for about 40 minutes supping pints. after this we realised we were in a rough bar with manic 2000 or something playing went to whealans, back in ****ty hotel room eating chips and raving about gig till about 5am. an epic night.

my biggest regret was not seeing crowded house live. i did see Neil finn and his son though we were right up front at the olympia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Bowie's last performance in Ireland ... the Point 2003

Have no recollection what was so important that I couldn't go

Missed it too. We had tickets for Ozzy which was four weeks before it, but he cancelled the gig and I think we were waiting for a refund for ages and it was the reason we chose not to go. The rescheduled Ozzy gig was supposed to take place in Jan or Feb the following year but he crashed his quad bike in December in the UK and we're still waiting for that gig 17 years later :p

Anyway, Bowie. Sure did seem like an awesome night.

This video not only will not only make you nostalgic for Bowie, but also the Point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,718 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Regret missing the Bruce Springsteen Seeger Sessions shows in the point

Few years before my gig time sadly

Advertisement