Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strava don't release many features but when they do...

• 21-04-2020 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭

Ross Barkley from Chelsea claims to have ran a 5k in 16:11. Posts all over social media. Someone in Strava goes F this and adds a feature that shows overall time also so it calls all the cheats out.

https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/1252291218064670723

Nice on Strava.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

rom wrote: »
    Ross Barkley from Chelsea claims to have ran a 5k in 16:11. Posts all over social media. Someone in Strava goes F this and adds a feature that shows overall time also so it calls all the cheats out.

https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/1252291218064670723

Nice on Strava.

Feature was always there on the desktop version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

And it was added to the mobile app a few weeks back. They have phased rollout of app updates so it may have only come to some phones in the last few days. I've had it on the app for about a month. It was about the time they started showing what watch you use to record your runs and shoes you used (if you've some added).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

stravaw*nkers on Twitter have been calling out these over the last few weeks. Its shocking the amount of people who are seeking self gratification this way - similar vein I suppose to cutting the course in a half marathon / marathon - Why would you do that??

A number of footballers being caught out - Phil Neville now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

theres a pic going around of a girl who set the 5k world record lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do you really think that any of these people have deliberately gone out to try and claim 5km world records?

I'd expect most people have just gone off and done their exercise and random laps sprinting around the park, then upload their run to Strava and it sends them a message about how awesome they are and gives them a shiny badge, they then don't know what it means and post to social media where they discover that they are not as awesome at they thought.

I sense more obliviousness to how fast a time for a 5km is and no knowledge of Strava than any deliberate plans to try and con people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

To be fair to Stravaw*nkers they only call out the people who have deliberately tried to pass it off as a PB. A typical one is "Wow, 4 solid weeks training in quarantine and I finally smash through the sub 20 barrier" after 20 parkruns - they 100% know what they're at!

Ross Barkley may have been a victim of doing an interval session and then Chelsea posting it as a fantastic time and him not correcting them in time and letting it snowball.....to give him the (huge) benefit of the doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

robinph wrote: »
    Do you really think that any of these people have deliberately gone out to try and claim 5km world records?

I'd expect most people have just gone off and done their exercise and random laps sprinting around the park, then upload their run to Strava and it sends them a message about how awesome they are and gives them a shiny badge, they then don't know what it means and post to social media where they discover that they are not as awesome at they thought.

I sense more obliviousness to how fast a time for a 5km is and no knowledge of Strava than any deliberate plans to try and con people.

I believe girl in question actually came out with the "it was only a bit of craic" defence a day or two after it blew up.

I believe there is also a suspect treadmill video going around form a guy who took 6 min off his PB to break what he had researched to be a treadmill world record which he beat by exactly one second. Sadly he can't add it to his collection of GWR's.

Just the latest craze in the smoke and mirrors that is social media self indulgence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

KSU wrote: »
    I believe there is also a suspect treadmill video going around form a guy who took 6 min off his PB to break what he had researched to be a treadmill world record which he beat by exactly one second. Sadly he can't add it to his collection of GWR's.

I know exactly who that will be. I beat him to the first corner in a local parkrun pushing the buggy a couple of years ago (mostly because he wasn't sure which way the course went around the cones) before he went on to smash the course record by a minute or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Barkley is just a plonker, no brains and will just drift off to no where soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I am not sure why Strava don't just use the elapsed time figure on the run instead of the moving time figure. I think there is a distinction as to whether you classify a run as a race or workout.
    As an aside what do people make of runners going all out to take the CR of a segment? So they do a getting through the gears run as it might termed that has a duration of 35mins but and elapsed time of 38mins because they had to stop for 2-3mins here or there to recover.
    In my own case I think a pb on a segment should play part of a longer run, just so happened you passed through a segment on the run as opposing to gunning it for that section and having to stop to recover. I think L's terming of social media self indulgence probably covers it, I just find it bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Until the World Segment Governing Body issue a ruling on it, I imagine that people will continue to do as they please with a fun and mostly irrelevant feature...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I think there should be a strava **** **** group for people who are obsessed with calling out the wrong doings of other people on strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I think there should be a strava **** **** group for people who are obsessed with calling out the wrong doings of other people on strava.

100%. If the next person's elapsed time for a workout is 3 mins more than the time on the watch, who cares? Maybe they did a bit of stretching after the warm up or maybe they did cheat on the recoveries. They'll be racing soon enough and it's only elapsed time that counts then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ultrapercy wrote: »

But then we'll surely also need a Strava **** **** **** group that will call out people who comment about people who are obsessed with calling out people who stop their watches while running ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

But then we'll surely also need a Strava **** **** **** group that will call out people who comment about people who are obsessed with calling out people who stop their watches while running ....

Thats right...where will it end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Have to admit to getting a good laugh out of stravawankers, but did read one yesterday that made me feel a bit uneasy. A woman who claimed a sub 30 5k with a 37 min elapsed. She was tagged in the thread and piled on and it just didn't sit well with me.

I'm all for slagging off young lads and footballers faking rocket ship times but this wasn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Are we raging about people raging! I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

So, whos the referee for tomorrow's TT? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

diego_b wrote: »
    I am not sure why Strava don't just use the elapsed time figure on the run instead of the moving time figure..

I think because it was firstly a cycling app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Theres a segment ive been hunting on the bike in my area and was getting quite close until some wanker drove in his car and owered it by about a minute. average of 80km/h or something

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought it was mostly about people who posted it as part of an online "challenge" for charity, hence anyone posting a fake time deserves to be called out on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Theres a segment ive been hunting on the bike in my area and was getting quite close until some wanker drove in his car and owered it by about a minute. average of 80km/h or something

Isn't that what the "flag" feature is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Lazare wrote: »
    Have to admit to getting a good laugh out of stravawankers, but did read one yesterday that made me feel a bit uneasy. A woman who claimed a sub 30 5k with a 37 min elapsed. She was tagged in the thread and piled on and it just didn't sit well with me.

I'm all for slagging off young lads and footballers faking rocket ship times but this wasn't right.

I've seen some egregious claims to PBs, tbf, and had to laugh, but this one made me uncomfortable too. Not sure why. She admitted that she stopped, etc.

Advertisement