Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stimp at your club?

Options
  • 19-04-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

What do your clubs greens stimp at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Zero at the minute. Absolutely no roll whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

No clue to be honest, but am trying to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Depends on what time of year your referring to and the weather conditions!

We average 9 to 11, but with cold we would go as low as 8.5 to 8.7 and for big event they would go up to 12 plus.

Also depends on maintenance plan, greens would be cut daily during summer and maybe only twice during lower growth or roll more.

If a club is cutting back, then maybe they won’t cut them as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Depends on what time of year your referring to and the weather conditions!

We average 9 to 11, but with cold we would go as low as 8.5 to 8.7 and for big event they would go up to 12 plus.

Also depends on maintenance plan, greens would be cut daily during summer and maybe only twice during lower growth or roll more.

If a club is cutting back, then maybe they won’t cut them as often.

Wouldn't have thought many/any course in Ireland would have greens running at 12 on the stimp
    Not many can get it near 10 from the courses I've played.

Surely unreasonable speed for your average handicap golfer.
    Where do u play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought many/any course in Ireland would have greens running at 12 on the stimp

Where do u play?

We have had ours at 12+ also. Played a few places that have had similar. To be honest, not a huge fan of fast greens , well, not 12 fast anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

This thread would be better if you named the clubs :D

Not a clue what Ardee or Headfort run at, I presume you just ask a greenkeeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    This thread would be better if you named the clubs :D

Not a clue what Ardee or Headfort run at, I presume you just ask a greenkeeper?

No point doing that, you'll start getting " I played there last year the Greens were sh&t, no way the were 12"

We get them to that speed for Captains and President Day. Not all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The greens at my home club (Wicklow GC) are always excellent. I'm not sure what they would be on a stimp but they can get them very quick when they want to. Below is a clip from a Captain's week a few years back.

https://streamable.com/d5zagj

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Grange GC

Winter: 5.5mm - 9 ft
    Summer: 4mm - 10-11ft
    Captains: 3.5mm + double roll - 12ft

golfguy1 wrote: »

Where do u play?

I just went through the reports for last year, lowest was 8.3 after a week of rain, fastness was 11.2 in middle of summer. Those reports coming from course superintendent who does the test once a week.

Average in summer was about 9.9 and winter about 8.6.

We also measured other things like firmness and trueness, don’t ask me how! I also get the height of cut on greens every week and a 12 month plan for the whole course.

Height would be 2.5 in middle of summer and 3.5 to maybe 4 in winter. All depending on advice from superintendent and if any issues with diseases or lack of growth. The lower the cut the more damage and increase chances of disease so I’m told, hence why you don’t have fast greens all year.

Personally, trueness and been firm would be more important to me. I personally like fast greens as I like the ball to fall in instead of me ramming it into the hole.

We do speed them up for Captains day or club championship and they had them at 12.1 in 2018.

During growth season they are cut every morning. Winter 3 times a week depending on growth.

Remember, these test are ran on a sample green every week and I’m sure green-keepers like to round up.

I recently saw one pay and play course advertising green speeds at 11 plus which I knew wasn’t possible for continuous number of weeks. I wonder how they ran the test?

Greens tend to peak depend on the agronomic plan. Also the grass used by different courses can give different results and how the greens are built.

Lucan is a example of money well spent on greens but costly project. I’m not a member of Lucan, but I rate there greens highly.

Usually Pay and play courses won’t have fast greens as they want you to take less putts.

If I go to the clubhouse and greens are poor, I hear about it straight away. so the staff are always under pressure to produce high quality greens for the members.

I would reckon the above is the same for most members clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I just went through the reports for last year

Excellent post, thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Lucan is a example of money well spent on greens but costly project. I’m not a member of Lucan, but I rate there greens highly.

As a member of Lucan, I'm happy to read this opinion from a non-member. Hopefully they'll be in excellent shape when we get back playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Can only speak for my old club and in the summer the greens were cut to 3mm which was the target height which rolled around 11 on the stimp. I wasn't playing but one year they got the greens to greater than 12 (I think) at the Captains day and most members struggled so was a failed experiment. Given its location and propensity to wind I don't think get above 11 most of the time.

Generally in the morning the roll on the greens was excellent but due to the transition of the two grasses (Poa Annua and Bentgrass) some got very bumpy in the afternoon.

When the course opened first it was 100% bentgrass on the greens so they were very firm and fast. You rarely got a pitch mark and they could have easily gotten them up to PGA speeds

Joined a new club in February this year and unfortunately due to my single round, I can't comment on it. I am expecting them to be good conditioned greens and well maintained

frink wrote: »
    Can only speak for my old club and in the summer the greens were cut to 3mm which was the target height which rolled around 11 on the stimp. I wasn't playing but one year they got the greens to greater than 12 (I think) at the Captains day and most members struggled so was a failed experiment. Given its location and propensity to wind I don't think get above 11 most of the time.

Generally in the morning the roll on the greens was excellent but due to the transition of the two grasses (Poa Annua and Bentgrass) some got very bumpy in the afternoon.

When the course opened first it was 100% bentgrass on the greens so they were very firm and fast. You rarely got a pitch mark and they could have easily gotten them up to PGA speeds

Joined a new club in February this year and unfortunately due to my single round, I can't comment on it. I am expecting them to be good conditioned greens and well maintained

This is a big problem for a lot of clubs, having mixed types of grass creates inconsistencies as different grass grows at different speeds. Now that we can’t use chemicals it’s even harder to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

About 10/11 (measured by m using GolfScope)- they might occasionally go up to 12+ for a major competition, but as it's a links course with a number of exposed greens it becomes unplayable if there is too much roll and the wind gets up.

Advertisement