Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Covid Golf (Positive Thread)

Options
  • 18-04-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭

Said , I'd post a thread with a bit of hope, positivity and dreaming.

Could you post your plans after this is over (Real, imagined or funny). What you are looking forward to most.

It has made me realize how lucky I am , you even miss the characters who do your head in at the club. It is an amazing game, we should be all so grateful for it.

I'm looking forward to just getting down and play maybe 9 - and have a massive Bulmers on the balcony after, looking at the sea.

Can' wait to play in a competition and meet some of the older characters around the place. I'll return the usual terrible 29 pts and not care one bit.

I'm looking forward to playing one of the big ones on the East Coast - The Island , The European Club, Baltray - **** it, all 3.

I'm going to jump in a car alone - or with someone who will come and play courses in Donegal. The joy of the journey , the landscape , the isolation of it all.

I'm going to get an eagle and I'm going to shoot 76 or less and love every second (After the round).

I'm going to play golf abroad again - Scotland - to be ambitious, Portugal. To be crazy with a great red wine - Tuscany.

Looking forward to getting the Winter Matchplay back going here and to see the lads from the Boards Golf Society - even the ones I don't seem to agree with on anything :D

I'm looking forward to a captains day in the society - and the few beers and sing song after.

I'm going to get the son playing more seriously and try pass on the gift of this gift.

I'm looking forward to a pro event or top amateur event, to see how this game can be played.

I'm so looking forward to a major - The Open or The Masters.

I'm looking forward to a cup of tea and a sandwich during a round - a rare and underrated joy.

I'm even looking forward to watching the slow players and the comedy and perplextion of picking a club after using a gps and laser 3 times :D

I'm looking forward to the random meetings you get on a course, with everything from an unemployed musician to a multi millionaire yank.

I'm going to get another hole in 1 - I don't give a **** if no one believes me - I'm going to do it.

I'm going to hole a bunker shot - something I haven't done in years.

I'm going to get the ball over 300 yards somehow.

I'm going to hit a draw, a fade, a punch, a shank - and enjoy them all.

I'm going to play every shot again in my head to get to sleep , only my father knew I could do this.

I'm going to go back to where it all began in Howth - and look at the beauty of Dublin Bay - and dream and reflect - and maybe smile and taste the salt air or a tear.

Keep hope lads :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Isn't too much other positive thinking ? :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Said , I'd post a thread with a bit of hope, positivity and dreaming.

Could you post your plans after this is over (Real, imagined or funny). What you are looking forward to most.

It has made me realize how lucky I am , you even miss the characters who do your head in at the club. It is an amazing game, we should be all so grateful for it.

I'm looking forward to just getting down and play maybe 9 - and have a massive Bulmers on the balcony after, looking at the sea.

Can' wait to play in a competition and meet some of the older characters around the place. I'll return the usual terrible 29 pts and not care one bit.

I'm looking forward to playing one of the big ones on the East Coast - The Island , The European Club, Baltray - **** it, all 3.

I'm going to jump in a car alone - or with someone who will come and play courses in Donegal. The joy of the journey , the landscape , the isolation of it all.

I'm going to get an eagle and I'm going to shoot 76 or less and love every second (After the round).

I'm going to play golf abroad again - Scotland - to be ambitious, Portugal. To be crazy with a great red wine - Tuscany.

Looking forward to getting the Winter Matchplay back going here and to see the lads from the Boards Golf Society - even the ones I don't seem to agree with on anything :D

I'm looking forward to a captains day in the society - and the few beers and sing song after.

I'm going to get the son playing more seriously and try pass on the gift of this gift.

I'm looking forward to a pro event or top amateur event, to see how this game can be played.

I'm so looking forward to a major - The Open or The Masters.

I'm looking forward to a cup of tea and a sandwich during a round - a rare and underrated joy.

I'm even looking forward to watching the slow players and the comedy and perplextion of picking a club after using a gps and laser 3 times :D

I'm looking forward to the random meetings you get on a course, with everything from an unemployed musician to a multi millionaire yank.

I'm going to get another hole in 1 - I don't give a **** if no one believes me - I'm going to do it.

I'm going to hole a bunker shot - something I haven't done in years.

I'm going to get the ball over 300 yards somehow.

I'm going to hit a draw, a fade, a punch, a shank - and enjoy them all.

I'm going to play every shot again in my head to get to sleep , only my father knew I could do this.

I'm going to go back to where it all began in Howth - and look at the beauty of Dublin Bay - and dream and reflect - and maybe smile and taste the salt air or a tear.

Keep hope lads :D

Sums it up for me. Hadn't played in about 5 yrs due to work and new expanding family. Change of circumstances this yr and had big plans for games with my father and to bring my 2 boys out on the 9 in Enniscrone for the first time, bring them to the range and see do they get the love I got for it the 1st time I went out with my dad when I was 9. It will all happen this year just a bit later than I planned. But we'll get out for a few rds before Xmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

The problem is, when I start thinking about golf then I want to get out and play and realise I can't. Just makes it worse!
    Nice effort though......

The problem is, when I start thinking about golf then I want to get out and play and realise I can't. Just makes it worse!
    Nice effort though......

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Had hip replacement last October and was due to have second last Friday but cancelled for 3 months. Gutted as I hoped lockdown and recovery would be at same time. As soon as courses open I'm going to play every opportunity I can anywhere I can until next operation then 8/10 weeks off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Isn't too much other positive thinking ? :D:p

Hard to follow you up Fix though!

I just cant wait to get back on the course. First round will likely be a game with my Dad, so I guess I'm privileged in still having the opportunity to do that.

Would love to get a couple of boards outings in before the end of the year, catch up with some familiar faces and continue welcoming the new.

I'm obviously going to be the first captain to win his own captains prize, then beat the crap out of the Reps and retain the Jug.

Get hold of my newly ordered clubs, get the handicap down to a solid single figure.

Really though, just breathe in the fresh air on a course and take in the view as a ball sails towards a pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Fair play to you fix. Brilliant idea for a thread.
    Full of corona(beer not virus) now.
    But I will sit down and tomorrow will post all I hope
    Isn't too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm just looking forward to arriving to the course still a bit asleep and dew still on the greens knowing it's going to be a belter in an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

When this is all over, and the courses are open again, the first thing I will head to my club, I will plunge my tee into the turf on the first tee and I will breath deeply smelling the freshly cut grass and drive.

The second thing I will do is hit a provisional.

But seriously, I have been following Harrington on the twitter and am trying out the chipping. It and putting are all I can do at home, even though driving is my real problem.

Another thing is I have bought tape and a super stroke grip, I have a Ping Zing from the late 90s and I am gonna re-grip it and put it back in my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

I'm looking forward to quickly throwing on suncream before tee off then frantically trying to dry my hands in my towel to remove the leftover cream.

Then hitting a tee off the first and forgetting everything outside the course for the next four hours!

I was looking forward to going back to my old club this summer for the Junior Scratch so I hope they will find sometime later in the year to have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

First thing I will do post virus is smile.

A big toothy cheek muscle hurting smile.
    Then off to the course for 4.5 hours of happiness not felt since 1980(last santa Christmas for me).

I don't care if I get put with the 3 worst slowest players on the island and I don't think anyone else would either.

The thread of how did you score in the last round will be as long as war and peace too.

Stay safe lads and ladies.... That day is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

jamfer wrote: »
    When this is all over, and the courses are open again, the first thing I will head to my club, I will plunge my tee into the turf on the first tee and I will breath deeply smelling the freshly cut grass and drive.

The second thing I will do is hit a provisional.

But seriously, I have been following Harrington on the twitter and am trying out the chipping. It and putting are all I can do at home, even though driving is my real problem.

Another thing is I have bought tape and a super stroke grip, I have a Ping Zing from the late 90s and I am gonna re-grip it and put it back in my bag.

Best thing I did, I dabbled with all the new Fandango Ping Putters but in the end I did exactly what you are doing, regripped the oul Zinger and haven't thought of changing putters again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I’m going to play this course

https://youtu.be/Bjq1YP83KgE

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'm just looking forward to arriving to the course still a bit asleep and dew still on the greens knowing it's going to be a belter in an hour or so.
    I love this. Standing on the tee early summers morning listening to the birdsong maybe greenkeepers finishing up in the distance.
    The Silence of the course and the anticpation of the round in front of you.
    The early morning chill but knowing you will be warm in an hour.
    The banter with your mates sorting out the fiver bet.
    Marking your ball and promising yourself you will be putting the same ball back in your bag after 18 holes.
    Teeing up your ball on your lucky tee, making the perfect practice swing,
    setting perfectly up to your ball, nice smooth takaway and BOOM
    Out of bounds right.
    Lads and Ladies.
    THERE IS NOWHERE ON GODS GREEN EARTH YOU WILL FIND GREATER PEACE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'm going to replace the washing machine cos my missus is not happy with all the dints in the front of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Apparently clubface and ball spend only a millisecond or two in actual contact with each other during the strike. Leaving 1-4 seconds of strike/contact for everyone remain this year. Lots of anticipation, elation, fun stories, suncream, early morning wake-ups, travel adventures etc in between. Looking forward to my 2 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I am well on the way to being a world class lagger of 6 foot putts

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Got new Irons so itching to get out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Bought 2 putters, looking forward to seeing which I sell first

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jpwk90

Great post....

Aul Corona has really made me realise the addiction I have for the game!

5 days annual leave being taken and golfing for the week when it returns, even on ladies day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

McGuirks are doing 10% off all clubs and 20% off all shoes, some good deals to be had!

I'm absolutely dying to get back on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Not sure how I will play but will look the business with my new Druids golf clobber and EZ 3 wheel trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

Saw our course yesterday from the gate
    It looks unreal good

2 balls for me with an early starting time sheet

Any chance of golf before may 5

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Saw our course yesterday from the gate
    It looks unreal good

2 balls for me with an early starting time sheet

Any chance of golf before may 5

No chance of golf before then. Let's not get too greedy. I'll take any sort of golf after then.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I'm looking forward to just getting out late on a summer's evening, course to myself, sea beside me and getting caught on the 9th green at 10.15pm when the sprinklers turn on.

I'm not much bothered with the half-assed approach of competition trying to social distance don't touch this that and everything else and don't stand here or breathe in there while trying to concentrate on doing a score. And then not be able to whinge in the var about it afterwards. Nah, not for me that. I'll return when it's safe for that craic whenever that is.

Just leave the late evenings to me on me tod. That's what I miss.

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to just getting out late on a summer's evening, course to myself, sea beside me and getting caught on the 9th green at 10.15pm when the sprinklers turn on.

I'm not much bothered with the half-assed approach of competition trying to social distance don't touch this that and everything else and don't stand here or breathe in there while trying to concentrate on doing a score. And then not be able to whinge in the var about it afterwards. Nah, not for me that. I'll return when it's safe for that craic whenever that is.

Just leave the late evenings to me on me tod. That's what I miss.

I'd be exactly the same as this.

I play 75% of my golf alone anyway - work etc.

So, I'll be perfectly happy with any sort of golf on at all. Was down at course today and someone was in there hitting a few balls anyway. Doubt a member.
    Around a green.

Gave a roar . I'm fairly loud. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

londonred wrote: »
    Not sure how I will play but will look the business with my new Druids golf clobber and EZ 3 wheel trolley.

You sure you will still fit into it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I’m going to play this course

https://youtu.be/Bjq1YP83KgE

The Irish are everywhere!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I am rejoining my club the week this thing is over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

With the nice weather, been chipping out the back garden each day. Not perfect ground out there, so try to manufacture slightly different shots and see the effects they have. Where stuff works best. Where duffs are likely to happen. What type of swing thoughts for particular situations help. The trajectory the ball has coming out of bare lies vs slightly covered lies etc. Differences in spin rates (visual just using chromesoft patterns)

This is the only stuff I can do at the moment, so is getting more attention then I've ever have been able to give before.

It's possible on my first visit back to the course I'll be bringing some new short game skills :eek: Or duff three in a row, fling the wedge at my bag and smash my phone in the pocket?

Advertisement