Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Someone requested a password reset on my Netgear readyshare

• 16-04-2020 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

As the title says, I received an email to reset my password on the Readyshare function of Netgear Nighthawk Router. This is basically a function that allows you to connect a hard drive or USB disk and access its contents over the internet. I don't have the service turned on but do use the router as a NAS on my local network. Is there anything I should be worried about here or is this some automated attempt? The email appeared to be from Netgear and called me by name.

Thanks,

Griff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Is there anything I should be worried about here or is this some automated attempt? The email appeared to be from Netgear and called me by name.

It's one of three possibilities,
    • Someone with a simular email to you tried a reset and well, entered thier email incorrectly.
    • Some has tried to hack your account.
    • It's SPAM, spoofied to look like a genuine netgear email

The correct response for all three options is to ignore the mail, and do not respond. Perhaps if you were using the service , you might use a trusted link to strenghten your password.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

It's one of three possibilities,
    • Someone with a simular email to you tried a reset and well, entered thier email incorrectly.
    • Some has tried to hack your account.
    • It's SPAM, spoofied to look like a genuine netgear email

The correct response for all three options is to ignore the mail, and do not respond. Perhaps if you were using the service , you might use a trusted link to strenghten your password.

Thanks, those were my thoughts. I'll keep an eye out for anything suspicious but they're getting my Mame roms on the NAS over my dead body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Netgear just sent out an email saying that a good few customers received it but there was no security breach.

Advertisement