Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbours kid trespassing

Options
  • 17-04-2020 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi guys,

We have just moved into a new house with new neighbours who have 4 kids, they very much keep to themselves. One of the kids is about 6 years old and keeps cutting through our driveway , I have asked him politely to walk around but he keeps doing it, it's really starting to grate on me. Am I being petty and unreasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No you're not being unreasonable, but good luck in getting any joy in regards the parents, worth asking them but don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bear trap!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Bullocks wrote: »
    Bear trap!

LOL was thinking the exact same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think you are being unreasonable. What's the problem? They are wearing out the driveway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

Call the gards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If you're only new in the house, is it worth possibly falling out with your neighbours over this?

Give it some time, smile and say hello and then you can work it into a simple conversation when you know them better.

Do not fall out over it, you will end up regretting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

6 years old? That wouldn't bother me at all. Not unless he's pulling up flower beds!

12/13 years old is a different story.

Leave him away. You'll only fall out with the neighbours and/or always be that nasty neighbour to the kid growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

It depends OP,
    are you and your neighbors have like connected driveway or is there no wall dividing ?

If there is no wall dividing well then Yes, you are being petty and unreasonable. As a 6 year old child won't comprehend the fact that he has to walk around the invisible boundary when it would be faster for him/her to cut accross it.

If there is a wall dividing well then its a 6 year old child.
    But I wouldn't go making a hugh deal about it with his parents, last thing you want is a feud with the neighbours after only moving in.

Personally if it was me, either way, I wouldn't give a ****e, at the end of the day it is only a child out playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

As above . What's the drive way lay out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

You're talking about a 6 year old here. Unless they're causing damage I'd just leave them off.

You're not an authority figure to the child so if problems do arise then its the parents you need to raise this with, he'll be more likely to listen to his parents if they instruct him to stop.

I'll absolutely take your word that you politely asked the kid but be very careful when talking to other peoples children, the parents mightn't appreciate that regardless of whether you're right or wrong, and when they start badmouthing you they won't say you politely asked, suddenly you'll be the crank who started effing and blinding at their precious little Johnny who accidentally stepped onto your driveway.

On the flip side, they could well back you up and tell the kid to stop, but as they say; pick your battles. I'd let this go if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A few simple warning signs that he can read should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

You need to figure out "why" its grating on you. Not knowing the layout of your house and gardens, going on just what you said, then yes, I think youre being dramatic. He is 6, he is literally only focused on getting into his own house with the least amount of effort. He's also going to be like that for another year or two before he develops a bit of "cop on".

Unless you have a very valid reason for him not to be doing it then id say just let it pass. Definitely not a reason to rock the boat in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weffer

No, my father always had a problem with things like this, as he says, if that kid gets injured on your property - you're liable. If he falls and hurts himself on your property, you would be to blame, try and nip this in the bud as diplomatically as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Weffer wrote: »
    No, my father always had a problem with things like this, as he says, if that kid gets injured on your property - you're liable. If he falls and hurts himself on your property, you would be to blame, try and nip this in the bud as diplomatically as possible.

Good point, I didn't think of that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

It's not worth falling out with your neighbours over a 6 year old walking on your driveway. I'm going to assume he's climbing a fence to enter your drive, if it's all open and you're complaining about him walking across then you're really going overboard. He'll grow out of it, especially as he gets used to regularly seeing you watering the plants etc. That house has probably been empty since he has been able to walk. Don't land yourself with bad blood with your nearest neighbours for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Weffer wrote: »

This is nuts and an awful thing to have to think about.
    Your home insurance has you well covered for this anyway in the extremely unlikely event that:
    A. It happens.
    B. The parent tries to claim.

OP I know the kind of setup you may have with a relatively open driveway. Either you say it to the parents in a nice way or you put up a small divider between the properties. Doesn't have to be anything major.
    Personally it wouldn't bother me. It will change over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Had the same the same problem with open plan garden and driveway.
    Local kids running wild with no supervision.
    Was annoying me so put up a fence and planted a hedge.
    Problem sorted and best money i ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thorny bush.

Thats not ok in this day and age unfortunately. If he trips and injures himself the parents will have no qualms about putting in a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

I think we are reaching peak cabin fever with 6 year olds trespassing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Thats not ok in this day and age unfortunately. If he trips and injures himself the parents will have no qualms about putting in a claim.

Which won't get anywhere unless the owner is liable. The owner is only liable if there's some sort of defect with the property, like a raised paving slab or trip hazard. If the kid just falls - tough, accidents happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I had the same problem with a piece of land I used have - zero respect from others including the local alcoholic drink driving ex gaurd on the corner and the usual brigade of ‘its only kids trampling your stuff’ disinterested ‘parents’. I reluctantly put up a chickenwire fence after several years and much politeness, damaged plants and frustration having repeatedly politely asked. This solved the problem apart from the prick of an alcoholic retired ex gaurd who drink drives who used climb over it routinely to demonstrate that he is and always will be a self entitled scumbag prick.

It starts with this and then as the kids get older you have toys in your garden, kids climbing into your back garden, kids putting their bikes up onto the paintwork of your car, kids sitting on the bonnet of your car etc etc - end it now and put up a chickenwire fence - the iid should get the message. If you need to add a gate. If the kids trips they will say you knew there was a hazzard and the kid routinely used your driveway - tens of thousands have been awarded for less. Apart from the fact it shows a total lack of respect from both parents and child. Nicely assert your boundaries - chicken wire and a few stakes is the least visually intrusive way to do it and you can train plants and thorny bushes up alongside it. Saves on the bamboos and staking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is this child the youngest of the four? And the other three don't do this?

If so, I'd leave well alone as obviously they are likely not bad kids. It's just a six year old who doesn't quite see the world in terms of adult boundary lines.. in a couple of years he'll be like the rest of his siblings and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Cause an issue now and your might end up with a longer term issue with the neighbors.

What harm is he doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bullocks wrote: »
    Bear trap!

Then he will have a kid and a bear in the driveway.
    What he needs is a kid trap, and put it outside the driveway! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

To those who say "what harm?"
    Come back to us when your car develops mysterious scratches that you cant explain.

A 6 year old who cant stay in his own driveway also probably wont be arsed about not hitting off cars.

I had a similar issue and as above, put a hedge in.
    The kids then started walking through the hedge so I put a wire fence in while the hedge grew.

Which won't get anywhere unless the owner is liable. The owner is only liable if there's some sort of defect with the property, like a raised paving slab or trip hazard. If the kid just falls - tough, accidents happen.
    Yeah like I said if he trips. Good enough reason to have words and ask them to stop. Lie or exaggerate, tell them you've had it happen before.

I've had it happen with an adult "friend". He'd had a few jars and I was still liable. I wanted to fight it but my insurance company paid out.

If the neighbours want to fall out over it that's on them. Besides all that it's just plain rude to allow your children to use someone's garden as a short cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Build THAT WALL!!...

At 6 he is too young, he will grow it of it. I understand the insurance issue too.. what about putting some potted trees as a barrier???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

GreeBo wrote: »
    What he needs is a kid trap, and put it outside the driveway! :cool:

WHO ARE YOU? Jimmy Saville? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I have a tree in the garden and 3 or 4 young kids come to play underneath it every now and again.

I just let them be. One day they will be grown up and gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is this child the youngest of the four? And the other three don't do this?

If so, I'd leave well alone as obviously they are likely not bad kids. It's just a six year old who doesn't quite see the world in terms of adult boundary lines.. in a couple of years he'll be like the rest of his siblings and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Cause an issue now and your might end up with a longer term issue with the neighbors.

What harm is he doing?

Probably the best advice on the thread.

Advertisement