Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gateway IPAs

• 16-04-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Whilst going through my two off license orders, I've found myself constantly skipping over IPAs. It effectively cuts off maybe 50% of the offering in some of the 4 for €10 type offers.

I seem to to tell myself "I don't like IPAs" and I think this stems from some really terrible ones over the years and I have not wanted to risk it again with IPAs.

But now I can see a lot of the offerings are IPA or variants thereof, and my hesitance to IPAs is cutting off a lot of interesting offerings.

So in sum: could you folks suggest some gateway IPAs that I could try? I'd like to go back and give one or two a shot and see has my perception changed, or whether I'll just stay away from them for another while.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Is it the bitterness you don't like? You could go for some of the New England style or any lactose infused IPAs out there. They'd have a decent level of hops in them, generally, but are a lot sweeter than a regular IPA.

If you're just looking for accessible, clean ones;

Whiplash - Body Riddle or Rollover
    Yellowbelly - Citra
    Rascals - Happy Days
    Galway Bay - Althea

For me personally, Kinnegar - Scraggy Bay is the most consistently good IPA on the market, but it's got a little more going on in terms of flavour and alcohol than the above so probably not the best entry level IPA.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The term "IPA" is all but meaningless these days. You could do a tour of the sub-genres with just White Hag beers: Little Fawn, Bran & Sceolan, Atlantean. Throw in Kinnegar Rustbucket, Whiplash Northern Lights and whatever Whiplash double IPA is currently available and there's either something there you'll enjoy or you definitely don't like IPA.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was the same and avoided IPAs for a long time, I just couldn't handle the hoppiness. Then I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the first time in years and I had forgotten how much I'd enjoyed it previously. I started drinking that a lot and as time went on I started drinking other pale ales before progressing to IPAs. There are still a couple I've thought too hoppy for me, but in general I'm hapy to drink most IPAs at this stage. Apart from Sierra Nevada, Founders All Day IPA is a decent, uncomplicated beer that you might find a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Thanks, folks - plenty of suggestions for me to add to the basket next round,

Zaph wrote: »
    I was the same and avoided IPAs for a long time, I just couldn't handle the hoppiness. Then I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the first time in years and I had forgotten how much I'd enjoyed it previously. I started drinking that a lot and as time went on I started drinking other pale ales before progressing to IPAs. There are still a couple I've thought too hoppy for me, but in general I'm hapy to drink most IPAs at this stage. Apart from Sierra Nevada, Founders All Day IPA is a decent, uncomplicated beer that you might find a good starting point.

Was able to pick this up in local off license - pretty pleasant! Thanks for the recommendation.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    The term "IPA" is all but meaningless these days. You could do a tour of the sub-genres with just White Hag beers: Little Fawn, Bran & Sceolan, Atlantean. Throw in Kinnegar Rustbucket, Whiplash Northern Lights and whatever Whiplash double IPA is currently available and there's either something there you'll enjoy or you definitely don't like IPA.

Thanks for the recommendation. The tour of White Hag beers seems like a really good shout, they seem to be in 4 for a tenner offers a lot. I was able to pick up Atlantean which is on the menu for this weekend. I also have one of the Whiplash IPAs on the menu (the session one) and have another of theirs due to be delivered next week. I have been eyeing up Kinnegar stuff in general - thanks for calling them out! Hopefully catch them in the next round.
    irish_goat wrote: »
    Is it the bitterness you don't like? You could go for some of the New England style or any lactose infused IPAs out there. They'd have a decent level of hops in them, generally, but are a lot sweeter than a regular IPA.

If you're just looking for accessible, clean ones;

Whiplash - Body Riddle or Rollover
    Yellowbelly - Citra
    Rascals - Happy Days
    Galway Bay - Althea

For me personally, Kinnegar - Scraggy Bay is the most consistently good IPA on the market, but it's got a little more going on in terms of flavour and alcohol than the above so probably not the best entry level IPA.

Thanks for that - helpful for more to identify what's going on in an IPA. I love Orange Velvet from Levrig, which Untappd tells me is strictly an IPA with lactose! Makes sense now.

With White Hag and Galway Bay both having beers of similar names, I keep getting confused between the two of them! I picked up WH's Altantean and was convinced I had bought a Galway Bay brew...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I do think Rustbucket by Kinnegar is the gateway drug.

Scraggy Bay by Kinnegar is the best IPA to come out of Ireland imo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I second (third?) the recommendations for Scraggy Bay. Best IPA I've had.

I also want to recommend the Galway Hooker IPA. that was my first IPA. Not as strong or hoppy as Kinnegar.

Nice! I’ll be sure to try some of Kinnegar offering when I top up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

McGargles Session IPA is a really easy going one to start with and is widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭raheny red

Another vote for Scraggy Bay. All Day IPA too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Galway Hooker is about as gateway as they get. First hoppy beer I ever drank, 11 years ago, and still drink it occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Scraggy Bay too. Only thing is at 5% I can't drink too much of it. Beautiful taste though. I miss poachers pale ale. Was my fave but sacrificed in the bru merger.

Advertisement