Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Waters & Gemma O'Doherty to challenge lockdown in the high Court

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Interesting to see what a judges take will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The new Mick Wallace and Claire Daly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just back from a next door neighbours funeral who pasted away from complication due to Covid 19. Fcuk off Gemma you absolute mongloid.

It worries me that so many people support her. If the government done nothing and people she knew were dying she'd give out about that too. Dope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Ah can we not have another thread about these melts.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Quantum Erasure - threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It would do everyone great favour if everyone just ignored both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Who's bankrolling this pair of muppets?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The new Mick Wallace and Claire Daly?

they're elected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Convinced one of them posts here in the restrictions thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Long_Wave wrote: »
    so I wish them luck.

Why, so people can "stick it to the man" , spread the virus around and kill some people?

Yeah, thatd be super awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pinkpotato

If ever there was a case for Internment it's these two. Hopefully they both catch it and can't speak for a few weeks. Not die or need hospital, just can't get out of bed for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

"they say give them enough rope and they hang themselves"

Whatever credibility they have (if any) be gone.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any idea what the pair are trying to achieve from this malarkey?

Any idea what the pair are trying to achieve from this malarkey?

The lifting of restrictions I assume if the lockdown is found to be unconstitutional. Although if the state loses there will most likely be an appeal. By then the present restrictions should be eased

Long_Wave wrote: »
    Now I know they are going to get a lot of ridicule for this but the lockdown is almost certainly unconstitutional so I wish them luck. https://mobile.twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1250421661062459399

On what basis is the lockdown "almost certainly unconstitutional" in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Suspicious im sure a go fund me will be involved......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The lifting of restrictions I assume if the lockdown is found to be unconstitutional. Although if the state loses there will most likely be an appeal. By then the present restrictions should be eased
    But apart from attention seeking, what benefit is it to them? Businesses are closing their doors (and had been doing so before the lockdown) because of the obvious benefits to their customers, their workforce and so on.
    Why would anyone with an ounce of cop-on want to remove the procedures that minimise the spread of a deadly virus?

On what basis is the lockdown "almost certainly unconstitutional" in your opinion?

The right to assemble as an example is protected by the constitution yet outlawed at the moment. So the poster may well be right. Maybe a legal mind could give a better answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Juicee

Article 40 (which protects personal freedom) and article 15 (which prevents legislation which is quote "repugnant" to the constitution)

As an aside, I find it amazing the amount of personal abuse that is allowed on this forum, absolutely no need for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Juicee

btw No I'm not Gemma but I know she has flagged these 2 articles in relation to the lockdown so I'd say those 2 articles are central to the case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Be right back

I wonder who is paying for this? What do they reckon the alternative should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Glebee wrote: »
    Fcuk off Gemma you absolute mongloid.

I was not aware she has Mongolian ancestry

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Unconstitutional or not, what are people that support this action actually looking for from it? Do you think the whole thing isnt real and that theres no risk to anyone? That no one is dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Is this not just an utter waste of time? We have these measures to try and slow the spread for the greater good of everyone on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone that can't see a publicity ruse and crowd funding in the heart of this isn't really looking close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In a way its a ridiculous publicity stunt.

And in another way, its important to ensure the government isnt exceeding its remit

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pinkpotato

The constitution actually allows for this during outbreaks of infectious disease. Which is why legaslation only had to be built on for the new laws and not a full referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Now that's a dream couple....

I know lock down is a serious issue but all I can think about is that they are made for each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Juicee wrote: »
    Article 40 (which protects personal freedom) and article 15 (which prevents legislation which is quote "repugnant" to the constitution)

As an aside, I find it amazing the amount of personal abuse that is allowed on this forum, absolutely no need for it.

She keeps going on about article 40, which yes protects personal freedom, but the common good is at the heart of the entire constitution and overrules it all.

Common good, a la, not being able to kill everyone by being a dumbass and going outside, is protected by this lockdown.

No part of the lockdown is repugnant to the constitution

Advertisement